Test your dogs?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Househounds

Test your dogs?

Post by Househounds »

Just wondering if any are looking forward to testing their dogs in the extreme cold most of us will be in this weekend. I will try to get out just to see what mine can do but will be carefull and not to expect too much as he is still a pup. Good luck to all those who venture out and be careful.
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

rabbit chaser

Re: Test your dogs?

Post by rabbit chaser »

I was out today lets just say I was doing this-------> :yuck: :yuck: :censored: I hate watching the dogs "surfing" across the snow crust waiting to fall through every step. Scenting was terrible on the crust and it's been that way for 2 weeks now. Needless to say I cant wait to load up and head to southern Indiana's trial next weekend! I have my fingers crossed they don't get any snow between now and then. I'm looking forward to smoking tracks in the mines.
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

I know it can be frustrating to run in tough conditions but I think the dogs do adapt and getting better from it. Also I think it makes them better when the conditions improve some. For some guys on here sub zero temps are the norm and they would never go if they stayed in every time the temps dipped below 0.
[img]http://media5000.dropshots.com/pho ... .jpg[/img]
2016-7th Annual MLK Day Rabbit Hunting Extravaganza

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

be careful guys. back in the early 80s a friend of mine had a beagle that as long as she had a little powder she could run no matter how cold it got. one day she ran a hare all morning at -19. (it had gone down to -41 the night before) anyway when we were younger we used to run in the super cold all the time. at the end of one of those super cold days she got a bloody nose. we went straight to the vet . pneumonia. we had to put her down right there. vet said its a shame because her heart is so strong but her lungs were destroyed from running in the super cold. she was only 7 years old. if it gets much below 10 above i just don,t take mine out.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

We have a trial tomorrow. Should be fun. We've had a crust or a couple of weeks and the rabbits make a bee-line right for a hole.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

be careful guys. back in the early 80s a friend of mine had a beagle that as long as she had a little powder she could run no matter how cold it got. one day she ran a hare all morning at -19. (it had gone down to -41 the night before) anyway when we were younger we used to run in the super cold all the time. at the end of one of those super cold days she got a bloody nose. we went straight to the vet . pneumonia. we had to put her down right there. vet said its a shame because her heart is so strong but her lungs were destroyed from running in the super cold. she was only 7 years old. if it gets much below 10 above i just don,t take mine out.
Thanks for the warning.

Househounds

Post by Househounds »

Went running this am. Temp 15. Light snow with a fresh 2-3 " on top of the 18 we got 2 weeks ago. Pup jumped and ran a few rabbits but the runs quit at the first turn. Then I could help him find it again in the fresh snow and he would run and open a bit again once he got going. It was a struggle but pretty good I thought for a pup. Tomorrow will be the real test. Low tonite is -10. I may just stay in bed :nod:

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

N/E Ohio....high of minus 4....low minus 12 , wind chill minus 40..ahhh? I'll pass.
Big Mike

Westridge Beagles

Post by Westridge Beagles »

We ran this morning. Had an arctic front moving in, so the wind was gusting (40 mph at times). We had three races. Two of them were nice races. We ended up catching the dogs off the last rabbit because of weather conditions. Didn't want to get snowed in. Lol, was very pleased with the dogs. It was tough sledding today.
Westridge Beagles
Owners: Larry Hensley / Jason Osborne
YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC44gTz ... g/featured

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

We had pretty good results at our trial, in spite of the weather. Our cast ran for the whole hour on two rabbits.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red