Do Rabbits enjoy the chase?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

snowshoehareguide

do they enjoy it

Post by snowshoehareguide »

well ive heard hare in the thickets laughing . they sounded like they enjoyed themselves. not sure what they were laughing at . either my hounds or fine shooting display. i always say though sometimes you dont enjoy it as much as you thought you was gonna. pete

Bsbowhunter

Smart Hares

Post by Bsbowhunter »

Sure they love it. It's "cat and mouse" to them. Just the other day, I saw one of them bent over from laughter. He had led the pack into some thick stuff, slipped on the ole racoon feet and snuck away. That's where the tale of a lucky a lucky rabbit's foot came from. So, tell your family to put their fears aside as Rabbits/Hares love a good chase. The only disclaimer I wish to add is (they may not enjoy the hunter holding the gun). :crazy:

TonyT

Post by TonyT »

Bow59 I called and he said yes they do so quit being so hardheaded and take up for Ted

Ted Peercy

Post by Ted Peercy »

Thank you to everyone for the help. Ted

biscuit

Post by biscuit »

The one my dogs caught today had a grand oll time. :lol:
It helps my shooting average when they run one down! :cool:
Gal 2:20
Let Jesus Live

BlueLine

Post by BlueLine »

I am with you Bowhunter on this.. Maybe the ones switching up in the pipe have been in the pen long enough together to develop the same type of relationship that a pair of foxes will. I say that because it is a know fact that foxes will switch up when being chased to allow their mate to rest a bit while they take it's place during the chase. Kind of like a good mile relay team where each person take a full lap before handing off to a fresh runner. I would love to hear from some experts on the subjuct, or it by be worth some research. If I find out they really do enjoy the chase while they are making a fool out of me and hounds at times .. that may really motivate me even more and decrease the amount of misses and other mistakes while hunting them. At present, I try to convice myself that I missed or maybe wasnt in the right spot because depending on the day and my mood, I really didnt want that one..

Just had another thought (you all pls dont take this the wrong way...) maybe they enjoy the chase sometimes depending on the pack. In other words, the reputation of the various packs gets around in the rabbit community, or they are all sitting tight and listening to the chase and deteriming what they are up against that day :lol: I've noticed how when the hounds are really pouring it on you seem to have more rabbits that arent being chased, sneaking to get out of the way. Maybe they felt their neighbor was just having too much fun and they wanted no part of it. On days like that, I dont blame them, when the hounds are really in the zone, they know we arent playing around, and if they get jumped, they better hole or else.
Ray

Ted Peercy

Blueline

Post by Ted Peercy »

Have you ever watched young rabbits play-run and chase each other, jump over each other? Think they were having fun? Develop a relationship? Take turns to help each other rest? Make fools of you and your dogs? Are these the same RODENTS you were talking about in your first post? You have had several people respond that have 40-50 years of rabbit hunting. I'd consider them expert. In my original post, I didn't ask if rabbits enjoyed being shot or caught by the beagles. I simply asked if they enjoyed the chase. :)

BlueLine

Post by BlueLine »

I see your point... but to answer your question, no, "I" dont think they enjoy the chase, but then again, maybe some do and maybe so dont, and maybe somedays they do and others they dont. Lets agree to disagree. Have fun.
Ray

kjohns

Post by kjohns »

I would say your are hearing from the experts on this Blueline. Who would be a better expert than the people who actually do it? In one post you said you think the rabbitts are smarter than we give them credit for, but then said they are acting on instinct. I think they are smarter than given credit for (just like 99% of all animals). That is why I think they enjoy the chase. Instinct would send them straight to shelter. Brains tells them they are in no immediate danger and can afford to play games.

BlueLine

Post by BlueLine »

I meant an expert in animal behavior, the bookworm types.... didnt mean to step on any toes, I am always open to different views other than my own.

I stand corrected, they are not in the rodent family, although closely related. They are in family "leporids", which along with rodents fall into the Class of mammalia or mammals. I found this while searching for an answer... the chasing of and jumping over one another, metioned above is a form of courtship prior to mating.

"I" still "think" its a matter of instincts that kicks in when they are chased, which allows us to determine ahead of time how the majority of them will run and what they will do when jumped.

I wonder if they enjoy being chased by a hungry bobcat, fox, yote, hawk, house cat, etc...?
Ray

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Blueline, Ray:

I see beside your name that your present residence is in North Carolina.

Please tell me you have recently been transplanted there from North of the Mason-Dixon line! LOL

BlueLine

Post by BlueLine »

no Alabama John, I was born and raised a Tarheel, from deep in Robeson county and proud of it. What makes you say such a thing?
Ray

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Blueline, I was just kidding you and taking a poke at the folks up NAWTH. Ted simply wanted us to back him up when he told his daughter the rabbits were having fun and hunting them was not cruel so she wouldn't worry.
You told it like it is, but missed the point and thought this was a REAL debate.
I'll bet now, after careful consideration you will tell Ted AND his daughter that the rabbits are having fun and do not mind being run?
We Beaglers here give each other a hard time when we miss a shot or our dogs do not do well and believe me, I deserved a lot in both catagories yesterday the 1st.
Gigging you was a natural reflex.
NO DISRESPECT OR MALICE WAS INTENDED!!!!

Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Of course I enjoy being chased by dogs. (beagles)
Most of the time I can make them look real bad in front of their owners or if running in a field trial, I can make them get picked up by the judge, just by running on a deer trail just after the deer takes off!!!
I was just chased the other day by 2 real fast beagles, boy did I make them look bad in front of the person who was thinking about buying them!
I have been shot at a few times, mostly by once a year hunters who own those real expensive shotguns.
So tell your daughter she should not worry about me being chased, especially by beagles :lol:

Signed
Mr. WILD RABBIT

bowhunter59

EASSY

Post by bowhunter59 »

YALL TAKE IT EASY ON BLUETICK NOW HE'S ON MY SIDE HEY I LIKE TED I'VE TALKED TO HIM ON THE PHONE BUT SINCE SOMEBODY SAID THEY TALKED TO MR. DOOLITTLE AND HE SAID THEY DID LIKE IT SO NOW I HAVE TO BELIEVE LOL HOPE THIS HELPS TED!
god is so good!