Cold

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Richie Foster

Cold

Post by Richie Foster »

At what temp do y'all bring your dogs in or do ya ever?? Calling for teens and single digits here for several days.

likeemfast

Re: Cold

Post by likeemfast »

It was -2 here last nite, certainly not the coldest spot in the country but it is cold. Walls, floor and roof are all insulated with 1'' celotex. Openings of dog boxes have doubled over burlap covering the opening to get in the box just to block any wind and box is packed with a good bed of hay. They told me this morning they were just fine.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

It was 5 this morning. Dogs seemed fine. Went & ran cause they're giving a foot of snow here in southeastern Ky tomorrow! Guess winter just hadn't got to us yet.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

it was neg 10 here and the dogs wanted to go hunting this mourning and were out bouncing around in their kennels. so i figure it must not be to cold for them. the most important thing is to make sure they have water to drink. i feed half in the morn and half in the evening with hot water when its below zero. good feed dry bedding and out of the wind they will be fine.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

IMHO Sam is right on . Water is top with dry bedding and least wind as possible . What R their cousins the wolf doing ? Don't take me wrong I provide my dogs with the best I can afford and can afford about anythin.g I / they need , but will not bring them inside
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I, too, feed twice a day and give them hot water twice a day. Straw and insulated houses.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

John Way

Post by John Way »

Plenty of hot water in food. Forces them to hydrate. Important. They are a very hardy breed and do well in the extremes provided are healthy. I ensure dry bedding, insulated housing , no wind exposure and bunk two hounds together. But on the coldest of nights (like tonight -10 with excessive winds predicted) , they find themselves in crates placed in a warm room inside the barn. (55-60 degrees). The hounds respond well to the break it offers them. Makes me feel better also. Sure its extra work , but they deserve it ,considering the heart they offer in their relentless pursuit .

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Got home this morning to a calm balmy 9 degrees, ole Clem was on the barrel to welcome me home, then when I went in the house, I peeked out to see him laying down in the hay outside in the sun. No wind and the radiant heat must have had him feeling better there than in the barrel full of hay. I been mixing calf milk in the water on the food. All the buckets freeze up and I add to it till they are full, then turn them upside down on the concrete to thaw in the sun and replace them with a new bucket. Empty drywall compound buckets are perfect for water buckets, just the right size. It got up to 20 degrees and everybody was happy for the milk and biscuit, including me.

Richie Foster

Post by Richie Foster »

Thanks guys I've been doing all your suggestions just making sure I'm doing enough.

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

I think pairing them up helps also. They snuggle and the extra body heat in the house helps keep them warm. I too give hot water with their feed when it is below freezing.