Early bark correction

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

blueboy

Early bark correction

Post by blueboy »

I have an 18 month old male who is a great Trial prospect. Already does a lot of things very well, his fault is he's a little early before the rabbit is up. When he does bark we will produce at least 75% of the time, not always within the 3 minutes though. Anyone had any luck correcting this as I have not.

Richie Foster

Re: Early bark correction

Post by Richie Foster »

Took a female to a trial this weekend and had a guy ask me what I did with that mouthy female I had I told him that's her your looking at so yes I have had some luck at least with one anyway. All I did was hunt her with dogs that would cold trail or open early and nicked her many many many times tone nick tone nick tone nick it worked for me but most say they haven't had any luck or that the dogs quit hunting. I'm kinda wondering if I laid her up for awhile what would happen but for now she is not 100% perfect but didn't hardly make a peep in the trial this past weekend and hasn't been for awhile.

blueboy

Post by blueboy »

I was a little scared of juicing him, have heard it has taken hunt out of some. It's really not worth that because he's still a heck of a gun dog the way he is.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I have a dog that opens early too. I decided to live with it. He minuses out occasionally, but he has enough hunt and desire to overcome a minus or two. He's getting better. He only had one Saturday; finished second in his cast. In trials, "You live by the nose or die by the nose." I do pop him on #2 occasionally, but nothing any higher.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

#1beagler

Post by #1beagler »

I dont thk shocking a dog for that corrects any thing.
cus its only a fault in the trials.id live with it

Richie Foster

Post by Richie Foster »

#1beagler wrote:I dont thk shocking a dog for that corrects any thing.
cus its only a fault in the trials.id live with it
If a dog barks and doesn't produce a rabbit or move a track out of that area then to me that's a fault in the trial or out. JMO! Blue boy said his produced a rabbit 75% of the time mine was more like 30% and shocking her now she is 90%.
Sometimes its more excitement than anything Im new to beagling 1yr but have trained coon dogs and labs for 20+ years and was told by some 30yr beagles I couldn't fix it but I was to stubborn to listen it didn't happen overnight but its fixed for now anyway.
Every dog is different just like a child some respond well to correction others just try to quit on ya but you just have to figure out what works on each dog.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I don't think his dog was just barking and not going anywhere with the track. I know mine tries to move the track. I watched him chew the slats out of an old snow fence so he could get through to follow the track. Didn't get the rabbit up, but how do you fault that desire and drive? I agree, a dog that barks all over and never moves the track is a pain. I just don't think this is his case.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Richie Foster

Post by Richie Foster »

rabbitatfarm wrote:I don't think his dog was just barking and not going anywhere with the track. I know mine tries to move the track. I watched him chew the slats out of an old snow fence so he could get through to follow the track. Didn't get the rabbit up, but how do you fault that desire and drive? I agree, a dog that barks all over and never moves the track is a pain. I just don't think this is his case.

Larry
I agree Larry just pointing out mine in my opinion had a fault not saying anything about anyone else's dog and to me it's a fault to me in a trial or gun hunting.

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

I'd rather fix it than shoot the dog, I'm not gonna listen to a mouthy dog

blueboy

Post by blueboy »

Should have been more clear with my problem. Yes, it is a problem in or out of a trial but I'm a rabbit hunter first. This dog is really really good at alot of things at 18 months. He's bred right and handles like a dream. He doesn't go around being a walkie talkie, barking for no reason. He always tries to move the track when hes early. Like I said he produces probably 75% of the time, and when he doesnt, it's usually in a prime spot for a rabbit.

#1beagler

Post by #1beagler »

It is a prob if hes not producing. by the sounds
of it he producing most of the time.I thk shock collars
are over used and do more damage than good.
how old is he

jim matuszewski

Post by jim matuszewski »

gunslinger wrote:I'd rather fix it than shoot the dog, I'm not gonna listen to a mouthy dog

big difference in a mouthy dog and a dog that opens early, some guys don't like cold trailing up here it can be usefull tool in tougher conditions

jim matuszewski

gunslinger wrote:I'd rather fix it than shoot the dog, I'm not gonna listen to a mouthy dog

big difference between a mouthy dog and a dog that opens early, some guys don't like dogs that cold trail, up here I is a use full tool in the tougher conditions

jim matuszewski

big difference between a mouthy dog and a dog that opens early, some guys don't like dogs that cold trail, up here I is a use full tool in the tougher conditions

hlane

Post by hlane »

I have a male that can open on and advance a line that my other dogs cant and accounts for his game. dont think i would want
a big nosed dog that didnt open when it was advancing the line ! just my 2cts!! if a dog can run it i want them to open not run silent
Hammer Lane Kennels