1/2 sister 1/2 brother crosses

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ole Mule

Re: 1/2 sister 1/2 brother crosses

Post by Ole Mule »

Buckeye Bob wrote:How do you calculate COI?
Here is the formula: FX = Sum of [ {½) n1+n2+1 (1 + FA)]

And here is a web site that will do it for you. http://www.czerwonytrop.com/inb/
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

hard on a check wrote:The more common ancestors that are in the pedigree the higher the COI will be.
I agree, COI shows how inbred a dog is. I was one that believed in breeding dogs that I like regardless of the relationship. I no longer breed but do like to follow subjects on breeding. Always like to watch how others think about breeding. I do have two females here with good breeding and a male that I like to consider as line-bred on FC ELKS CREEK BLUE BABE that goes back to THE ELM'S JIGS MAGGIES MATE. They would be a good breeding but I do not think I will ever breed them if I did it wouldn't be with my male it would probably be with the sire of my male. My two females are half sisters to my male same dam but different sires.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

hard on a check

Post by hard on a check »

Ole Mule wrote:Half Brother to Half Sister is 12.5% COI that is an acceptable percent.
Yes, as long as there's no other common ancestors in the pedigree..
I've made a few half brother/sister crosses,and always ended up with COI's around 15-16% because there were more than one common ancestor in the cross/pedigree..
Every cross is different,cant just say every half brother/sister cross will be 12.5% COI as that is not the case..
It all depends on the total number of dogs that are related in the cross..
The more common ancestors that are in the cross the higher the COI will be.

kjohn2hunt

Post by kjohn2hunt »

Casey I crossed my Hydro male to his half sister. They we out of the same male. The female is line breed sock it to me on her bottom side.What I noticed was they all took there running style after the female. She hunts wide and they did the same. They took Hydro nose and build. I breed this same female to another male and got the same results with wide hunting. I don't care if my dogs hunt wide as they will go till they find a rabbit. These are the type of traits that you will lock in with is type of cross good or bad. I line breed a line breed female.
RC Johnson's Rock'em Sugar
RC Johnson's Rock'em Jack
RC Copelands Super Dooper
GBC RC Peters P&P Jake
Johnson's Hydro
RC Johnson's Rock'em Voodoo
14 others in the making

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Warddog, that is exactly what I meant.

One of the best Canecutter dogs I ever owned (Queenie) I saw run when Ted Peercy brought her with others, several ARHA Champs and Grands to hunt with a bunch of us. I liked her and bought her to go with the others I had. She matched up with them pretty good. Ran down more rabbits than anyone would believe.

When he sent the papers, I saw she was a lot Indian Hills bred. Didn't matter to me if she was out of ole Sally and Mike.

For most folks wanting to rabbit hunt, they would be far better off to go try a dog and when they find one they like, buy it and not go through buying a certain line bitch, breeding to a certain line stud, raising, medication, shots, shock collars, training, and all that, possibly having to do it many times to find one like the one of who knows what lineage they could of bought outright for much less in time and money and been enjoying hunting it all that time.

Many times the dog someone is selling does not suit them, but is exactly what you would of been breeding for.

hlane

Post by hlane »

Correct me if iam wrong but i think some of the greatest all time reproducers had a very low coi. anyone else notice this?
Hammer Lane Kennels

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Yes, I've noticed it. Ranger Dan, Shaker, Jack Of All Trades, East Coast Trimmer, Heli-Prop,etc.; none were linebred close at all; go figure? IFC Cedar Beck Oliver's dam, Townlines Jerry Jo Agate was linebred FC Townline's Johnny Paycheck & FC Ausable River Shnapps about the 3rd generation from top to bottom & outcrossed to IFC Stoney Hills Gator, who had IFC Branko's Heli-Prop on both sides & a lot of IFC Able's East Coast Trimmer blood top & bottom. This cross produced at least 6 or 7 FC's. In this case, some good line breeding of two families of similar style & ability made an excellent outcross. Even with this outcross, if you trace this pedigree back far enough, you'll find several common ancestors such as IFC Mt. Zion Pete.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

lananbay

Post by lananbay »

What do these dogs have in common??

IFC Beaver Creeks Blue Max
FC Eyer's Jerico
IFC Green Bay Eli
IFC Branko ALi Baba
FC Green Bay Humt'em Max
Most Birch Lake hounds
Most Meachum hounds
Most Branko hounds
Farrier's Wrangler
Most Lake Ogemaw hounds

check out their pedigrees on beaglefieldtrials.com
:check:
Destry Lopez
LANAN BAY KENNELS

Hunting hounds by RANGER DAN & BLUE NINJA

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

I give up.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

lananbay

Post by lananbay »

The group above all are line breed or some would say inbred. There COI number is higher than average. Just thought since the post took a turn toward breeding for a low COI.i would list some well known dogs with above average COI.
Destry Lopez
LANAN BAY KENNELS

Hunting hounds by RANGER DAN & BLUE NINJA

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

I don't know what you guys are talking about; COI, KY + 1 title=9.. & I don't want to know, so don't explain it to me.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

I don't think they know Greg. Lol

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Math, Chemistry and physics were terrible subjects for me.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

sparky

Post by sparky »

Horse breeders seem to pay a lot of attention to Coefficient Of Inbreeding,they also pay a lot for stud fees,big difference in paying $250,000 to breed to a top horse versus paying $250 to breed to a top rabbit dog. The last 45 horses that have won the Kentucky Derby 43 of them have shared at least one common ancestor in 4 generations,most of them have two to three common ancestors in the 4 generation pedigree. It makes absolutely no difference to me how people choose to breed,I just like researching it and find breeding interesting. Although I will say that one of the most successful breeders in our sport is Branko,and most of the Branko dogs have fairly high COI percentages. Obviously there are good dogs from the result of outcrosses,linebreedings,and inbreedings, to each their own.

Casey: If you like both dogs an think it will be a good cross,I say go for it.
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

I'm sure it makes sense & can be helpful, but we can overthink things sometimes. I agree though that really close breedings could be more likely to produce health problems. I've yet to see an inbred Mid-West FC that was the direct result of a father/daughter, mother/son or littermate brother/sister cross.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo