Predator kills dog inside running enclosure

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Yang

Predator kills dog inside running enclosure

Post by Yang »

It's a tragedy to raise a pup and prep it 2 years for the Iowa AKC field trial, then just four days before the AKC Iowa field trial you wake up to find your dog dead in your rabbit pen. I can't figure out which animal attacked my dog. I've seen a wolf, a mountain lion, and a American eagle in my backyard. This morning, going into the enclosure I saw a American eagle flying from the ground to a tree in the area my hound was found dead. After calling her for a few minutes I walked towards where I saw the American eagle flew up and found my hound dead with these puncture wounds. The vet performed an x ray and found a cervical vertebrae neck bone broken. The vet classified this as a attack from a large predator. This hound was named Minnesota. She was out of NLFC Green Bay Remi and FC Green Bay Deano, may she rest in peace. Please take a look at the wound and help me wonder what animal will be aggressive enough to go into a five and a half foot tall 17 acre encloser to do this.

Last edited by Yang on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Budd

Re: Predator kills dog inside running enclosure

Post by Budd »

Guessing coyote Yang, breeding season and with them not eating your dog I would say territorial attack. Not good man, better get them out of there.

Yang

Post by Yang »

The weird part was that the enclosed is 5 feet 6 inch high, and only 3 puncture wound with very little to minimal blood lost. The doctor concluded that there was no severe blood lost and the wound was too small to kill the dog.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Sounds like a mountain lion, always going for the throat.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

I would make a little recipe out side the enclusre for them.. to die of .
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

wowsers that stinks!!! Sure looks like something with canines by the looks of those punctures. was that the only one in the pen at the time or were there several?
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

Yang

Post by Yang »

She was the only one

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

PREACHERS KENNEL wrote:I would make a little recipe out side the enclusre for them.. to die of .
+1
TheJohnBirchSociety

Richie57

Post by Richie57 »

Darn shame. No tracks? Would think with wolf, coyote or cougar there would be more puncture wounds, even the eagle? Very strange. You might want to mount a trail cam there for the future and in the mean time to see if what ever it is comes back. Again so sorry to see that happen.

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

Sorry about your dog yang. I agree with putting cameras in there. Find out for sure.

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

Sorry for you loss. There isn't anything more sicking that losing a dog that way. I've lost one to coyotes with me standing only about 50 yards away. I wouldn't put it past the eagle, but my guess would be another canine. I'd set up a trail camera like mentioned above. Let us know what you find out. I've got a pretty good remedy for coyotes....
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

fatboy

Post by fatboy »

If you didn't have any tracks, then it was probably the eagle. And that's is what you saw leaving the spot where the dog was. Do a internet search of eagles kill wolf. This shows a man hunting wolves with his two eagles, and shows one being caught. Its in another country, and the wolf looks the size of a coyote. If that is what happened you probably won't be able to use the pen unless your right next to your dog.

bartman357

Post by bartman357 »

I'm not by any means an expert, but if she was stiff or not could possibly verify if it was the eagle! I don't think that the eagle would have stayed long enough for her to be stiff, without trying to consume her! Jmo!!! :(
Bartman357
Www.bartsbunnies.com
Ava, Illinois

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

HAD SAME THING HAPPEN 5 YRS AGO 3 PUNCTURE MARKS 2 UNDER NECK 1 ON TOP THIS WAS IN THE WILD BIG PLACE TORN UP IN THE WOODS BOUT SIZE OF A TRAMPOLINE STILL DONT KNOW WHAT DID IT SEVERAL DOGS HAVE NOW BEEN LOST IN SAME AREA. SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS ....
BIGDOGPACE

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

IMO...territorial kill by a pair of coyotes.

I have seen first hand how they attack a beagle. Male coyote distracts on the back end of dog and female goes for the head and next just like the hound shows.

Just my opinion. Sorry for your loss. This time of year the coyotes here are exceptionally territorial over there den sites....makes sense they made your pen a den site...readily available food....
Last edited by BCBeagles on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.