Bracing?????

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

RobDar

Bracing?????

Post by RobDar »

Who has some time to answer a few questions on Bracing for me?
Roberta and/or Darin E. Lee
RobDars Beagle Rescue

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

What do you mean by the term "bracing" :?: Are you referring to the type of trial :?:

RobDar

Post by RobDar »

Well maybe I should tell you what I "think" I know about bracing. The question started with a dog, ACK registered, that we pulled from a shelter. He was turned over because his owner said (i am typing off the sheet the shelter gives us) "hes a good hunter but his speed is all wrong for me". Well with that not being a very good description we took him over to the pres of the local hunt club for him to evaluate for us. He called us back and said "he must be a bracing beagle...hes good, but real slow and steady"
So my assumpting is that bracing is a more slow paced hunt style, with the dogs a little closer in and not so prone to the chase.
Roberta and/or Darin E. Lee
RobDars Beagle Rescue

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

The term "bracing" simply means "running two dogs together". It is a useful techique in many training situations and also for testing the compatability of two hounds. It is also a great way to compare the hunting ability of two hounds of similar footspeed. Unfortunately, due the slowing down of the beagle by the "traditional brace" breeders, the term has come to be used interchangably with the term "Walkie Talkie". Consequently, any use of the word "brace" today invokes a negative response from many folks who like faster beagles.

James Carman

Bracing

Post by James Carman »

Good answer Chuck. The word brace means two, but for many beaglers it means slow. ARHA Gundog Brace has felt that "negative" connotation from its beginnings. Folks focus in on the word brace and miss the word gundog. There is nothing slow about the brace hounds in ARHA Gundog Brace nor the AkC version MAB. If you look, you will find that the same hounds that won in GDB are the same hounds that are winning in Gundog Pack. However, Gundog Pack does not face the same "slow" connotation from its name.

DG TX

Post by DG TX »

Have a little 13" bitch here who has a Lic. win in SPO, place in Large Pack and a win in sanction Gundog Brace. And she hunts hard when cast. All AKC & in Texas. ;) Yes, when one is unfamiliar with the bloodlines & types of trials involved, things can get confusing. :)

Post by Guest »

Thank you gentleman. I think I understand all that. So this dog we have right now isnt necessarily a bracing dog....he is more than likely just slow! HA HA HA!