question for Fullcry

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mike in Tenn.

question for Fullcry

Post by Mike in Tenn. »

if your hear Fullcry i have a question for you about obediance training a pup to come on call it was on the last board

FullCry

obediance training

Post by FullCry »

Hey Mike,I'm still around and will be glad to answer any questions you have.

Sincerely,FullCry
Beagle hounds make the world go round!!!!

Mike in Tenn.

question

Post by Mike in Tenn. »

the dang crap they call a computer was'nt working some days sorry it took me long to get back My question is about the post you were givin advice to some one on hard training a pup to come on call and should it be after the pup has already lerned the sit and stay comands? My pups seem to lerned sit good and we are learning stay now. I read your reply it seemed you have trained many a pup and your method seems to work good for you. I don't recall what age is a good age to start training come. I have two pups 14 weeks

FullCry

Obediance training hunting beagles

Post by FullCry »

Hey Mike,fourteen weeks in my opinion is a good age to be obediance training our hunting beagles.Birddog trainers start theirs this young so I don't see why we shouldn't and I have had good luck starting mine early like this.At this age I keep the sessions short,around five minutes each,though when I'm not at work like on the weekends I may work them five times or more in a day.Also if i have the pups running loose in the yard ,I will make them sit whenever i get near them then stay for about five seconds then release them and go about my buisness.The pups attention span at this age is so short I don't make them stay any longer than that.By all means I myself would start teaching them to come now.I put my pups on a leash,command them to sit then stay.I then kneel down and put my hand in front of the pups face like a traffic cop and back away still squatting untill at the end of the leash then i command come.........as i command come i take my hand out of the pups face and if he doesn't come I give a small jerk ..........but most pups are going to come to start with but later they will have to be forced to come.I then repeat the Sit,Stay,Come sequence.I also train mine to heel in this stage.I just use a sit ,stay come,heel sequece..........heel the pup say twenty yds then make him sit ,stay come, then heel again.
Good luck with the pups Mike and if you have any more questions I'll be glad to try and help.
A fellow beagler...............FullCry
Beagle hounds make the world go round!!!!

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

FullCry, Where have you been? Hope you are having a good season. We are! I've missed you insightful posts that were on the other board. Glad you're here. John

Ted Peercy

Post by Ted Peercy »

Mike,
Where in Tennessee are you located? I live in McMinnville. Ted Peercy