Registered or Grade

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Ole Mule

Registered or Grade

Post by Ole Mule »

What is the difference in owning a registered beagle versus-es owning a grade beagle. I have half brother and sisters out of World Champion bloodlines I registered the females but not the male so I now have two registered dogs and a grade dog. Why should I register my other dog, I am not going to compete with them and I am not going to raise any litters for the express reason to sell puppies. Not planning on selling any of the three. Just wondering why I should put papers on my other dog.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Registered or Grade

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

If you're not going to trial him,show him ,breed him or try and sell him then I wouldn't bother.BUT,If you think you EVER might do any of those then by all means get his registration papers.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

I only wanted one beagle but I am hooked on these dogs. All three will be here until they die, they were a gift from a very nice man that I met on this board. Not interested in competition, do not plan on raising any puppies unless the man that give them to me desires to have one off them then I would make an exception for him. Me and my two grand daughters have fun with them. They claim the two females and say the male dog belong to me. I think the male is better bred than the females even though they are half siblings. The females are not slack in breeding or ability they have the same dam as the male but a different sire. All three are the real deal the two females are registered and the male may stay a grade dog. I will think about it for a while and make up my mind later on. My plans is just to pleasure hunt them and give them a good home with lots of love they come inside occasionally other than that they have spacious kennels. My male is a grandson of Greenwells Reggie and the females are granddaughters to Lee's TNT Scarface.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:If you're not going to trial him,show him ,breed him or try and sell him then I wouldn't bother.BUT,If you think you EVER might do any of those then by all means get his registration papers.
I agree.

My two littermates are ukc registerable, but I don't believe they would be competitive. There are no ukc trials near me anyway.

I have since joined an akc club and my newest pup will be registered right before the year is up, providing she appears like she might do ok. If not, I'm not wasting the money. Unless she is outstanding, I won't breed her anyway.

I bought a running dog a couple of years ago, akc and nkc. I never transferred registration from her old owner.

For the cost of registration, I can buy enough shells for the season, dog food and wormer for a month, annual beagle club dues, or enough gas to go running at least half a dozen times. All of which provide me more enjoyment than a piece of paper...YMMV
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

There is no way they will ever be competition hunted, I ran that circuit with squirrel dogs had 17 at the time, that part of life for me is over. I do not really have a desire to breed them but that is always a possibility. Not wanting to make my little pack any bigger 3 is enough for me and I do not hunt that often anymore either.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Ole Mule wrote: The name of the game is to improve the beagle. Sure you can get mixed breed dogs that can run the hair off a rabbit, but that is not improving the beagle. For as helping the beagle registered dogs is the way to go. Just one old mans opinion don't really matter it's just an opinion and everybody has one of those.
Ole Mule wrote:What is the difference in owning a registered beagle versus-es owning a grade beagle. I have half brother and sisters out of World Champion bloodlines I registered the females but not the male so I now have two registered dogs and a grade dog. Why should I register my other dog, I am not going to compete with them and I am not going to raise any litters for the express reason to sell puppies. Not planning on selling any of the three. Just wondering why I should put papers on my other dog.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

Well since I am not going to breed nor compete in competition, registering my male is not going to have any bearing on improving the breed unless someone else would want to breed to him. This would be highly unlikely if I do not compete with him. Maybe some one would be looking for something off Reggie or Lee's TNT Scarface that was closer to them and not really care about titles so this would be the only reason I should register him and the only way I could contribute to the betterment of the breed. This is a thought that I may consider if I would like to contribute something to the breed. It would be a long shot that someone would want to use him but worth considering on whether I should register him or not.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw