Is it Time For 10 Second Checks in Little Pack?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JCM

Is it Time For 10 Second Checks in Little Pack?

Post by JCM »

When ARHA Little Pack started most of the dogs entered were from rabbit hunters just bringing their hunting dogs to trials. In the last 10 years it seems like the dogs have gotten a lot faster and much rougher. When it takes a 15 second breakdown to score, this rewards the rougher dogs that swing out on checks. I wonder if it is time to change to 10 second checks, which would reward the dogs running the most rabbit?

I am not bashing Little Pack. That is what I run and I like the people and a lot of the dogs that compete. I was just thinking that rewarding a dog that keeps the track going would help Little Pack and help better the breed.

Thoughts?

Chimney Rock Kennel

Re: Is it Time For 10 Second Checks in Little Pack?

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

I like it! Great idea!
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

sparky

Post by sparky »

Haven't ran Little Pack in years,but that sounds like a good idea,even better would be 5 second checks in my opinion.
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

SHAWN SEXTON

Post by SHAWN SEXTON »

I think that's a great idea Jim I judged a lot of cast at the world hunt that the shorter check would have changed the outcome of the cast. I believe the shorter check would promote a better dog as well

Chevy10

Post by Chevy10 »

Good ideal ... Need to b more rule changes to go with it .

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Just wondering I have only ran arha a couple times as I run akc Midwest dogs. Does the judge in arha have the discretion to decide if a particular hound is reaching, swinging etc. or is it just what ever hound gets the check first? AKC does not have a time limit at which point a check starts but judges do have the ability to award or penalize for staying in checks or reaching. So I guess my question would be would it be better if judges are allowed to make those calls or is a shorter time limit better. I am not trying to stir pot just trying to gain some knowledge.
Tom

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

I was just explaining the same need for a shorter check on another post

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

Would be a change for the better. Even more important (in my opinion): fix the Hunting & Handling "tiebreaker" call! If two or more dogs are tied with positive scoring, especially if the in-place progressionary sequence leaves them tied, they deserve to advance.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

barnold1 wrote:Would be a change for the better. Even more important (in my opinion): fix the Hunting & Handling "tiebreaker" call! If two or more dogs are tied with positive scoring, especially if the in-place progressionary sequence leaves them tied, they deserve to advance.
Good idea!!

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

This suggestion, coming from Logan Elm, certainly deserves consideration. I like the idea. I do not favor giving the judge the discretion he has In AKC. ARHA method keeps in the hands of the dogs performance.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

JCM wrote:When ARHA Little Pack started most of the dogs entered were from rabbit hunters just bringing their hunting dogs to trials. In the last 10 years it seems like the dogs have gotten a lot faster and much rougher. When it takes a 15 second breakdown to score, this rewards the rougher dogs that swing out on checks. I wonder if it is time to change to 10 second checks, which would reward the dogs running the most rabbit?

I am not bashing Little Pack. That is what I run and I like the people and a lot of the dogs that compete. I was just thinking that rewarding a dog that keeps the track going would help Little Pack and help better the breed.

Thoughts?
Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

barnold1 wrote:Would be a change for the better. Even more important (in my opinion): fix the Hunting & Handling "tiebreaker" call! If two or more dogs are tied with positive scoring, especially if the in-place progressionary sequence leaves them tied, they deserve to advance.
In ARHA Progressive Pack this is th rule.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

Casey Harner wrote:
In ARHA Progressive Pack this is th rule.
Been awhile since I've been to a PP trial, but from what I remember a tie is a tie in PP and they don't go through fewest minuses, most jumps/checks/strikes to slim down the number of hounds advancing and I don't recall seeing a cast in PP with a lot of zero scoring dogs tied for first place to know what they do there. The biggest opposition to making any change to the H&H tiebreaker could be that more dogs advancing may extend completion of the trial, so trying to look at what we have now and throw something out there that would minimize the likelihood of that happening.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Just my two cents, which is worth just what you pay for it. I thought the 15 seconds was to give the judge time to catch up because LP dogs are generally faster. I'd be fine with a 10 second check. Lots of dogs pick it up at between 10 and 15 seconds. It would improve scores. If I am judging--something rare--I don't care if the dog handles for me or the handler. I'd be interested in hunt--period. As far as ties for first in a cast, I'm not sure. If you just look at hunt and leave the minor faults out that a particular judge doesn't like, it would be okay. In the north, we deal with rabbits in brush piles that refuse to come out and the dog draws a minus. Another rule that modification would improve scores. The dog working/hunting the hardest should get more that a -10 for his effort. A dog just standing around scores higher. I also think there should be either a time out at a "dead track" or a specified time for the handlers to get their dogs before the judge resumes the hunt. It's not fair to the cast to wait 7 or 8 minutes or longer for someone to catch their dog and the clock is still running. Good discussion.

Are changes initiated by clubs or by ARHA Rules Committee?

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

rabbithunter5890

Post by rabbithunter5890 »

With 5 to 10 second checks you would see a change in the dogs running style, which would lead to better races.