anyone having any good hunts?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

blackdirt beagles

anyone having any good hunts?

Post by blackdirt beagles »

had a decent day today. 4 rabbits in a couple hours. dogs are TOMAHAWK, CRAZY LADY, and CANDY. still so thick here you really have to work for a good shot.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

i know what you mean brian,,me and my boys took the dogs out this morning and jumped 13 and only killed 1 they seem to be in the thickest stuff and hard as heck for a dog to push them into the clearning,,,
you can take a kid out of the country, but you cant take the country out of a kid

trackman

Post by trackman »

Went out Thanksgiving day for 4 hours, couple of friends from South Carolina with me. Dogs ran 8, only got a clear shot at 2. Enough for dinner! Trying again tomorrow. Will keep ya posted.
http://blacktopbeagles.expage.com/

Here, Gentlemen, a dog teaches us a lesson in humanity
--Napoleon Bonaparte

PLATEAUBEAGLER

Post by PLATEAUBEAGLER »

brian had some good races today but only killed 1, it's mighty thick here also and makes it hard to see them. but we had 1 race for about 30 to 45 minutes long and man it was great, hearing and watching them hounds work. I believe it even got ol Bopeye all tore up.lol

illinois boy

Post by illinois boy »

the woods are clearing up here almost all the leaves have fallen off but the rabbits are sitting tighter making it harder to get one up.
nick
Johnson's Ace High Beagles

Grasshopper

looking good here...

Post by Grasshopper »

Hi guys

We hunted wednesday for about 3 hours and took four nice, fat, hill rabbits. We were bumping rabbits almost the entire morning while the dogs were hammering a different track. Friday, we hunted another spot and took 6 but we probably bumped 8-9 more that the dogs never ran.
We did kill a double on the first jump of the day. Dad shot the first rabbit and before he could get it picked up, another busted out and ran to my position. I assumed he had missed, so I busted it......the dogs ended up trailing right up to it, but the completely ignored his. Go figure. Over all there seems to be and abundamce of rabbits around here this year.

GH

warddog

Post by warddog »

My cousin and I went out yesterday and the DOGS jumped 5 bunnies. I got 3, 1 went into a brush pile and the other one went into a junk pile. My cousin got skunked. It's like everyone else states, thick, if the dogs hadn't jumped these I doubt we would have seen a rabbit. I had one of those days where I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I also found a real nice 10 point buck that someone had shot and never found but the coyotes had it picked clean. All that was left was the skeletin with the head and nice rack. What a waste!

beagles gone wild

Post by beagles gone wild »

So far I lost one six month old puppy Unknow reason I am verry upset at her loss and No rabbits. this year is realy going bad for me I am in the minus .

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Took 3 little nephews out with me Fri., had short circles to the junk yard and the race was over but I think the hook is set, as they all want a orange hunting vest for Christmas...lol
Oh...One other thing, I thought I had lost them all, when one about stepped on a black snake...I think his words to his mother were,"It was only 2 feet in front of me, mom, and I just freaked out!!!...lol...The BB gun they were carrying was put to full use after they had regained their composure and sighted the snake again, but luck was with serpent and I fear it escaped unharmed ;) ...lol...Patch

tnbeagleman

Post by tnbeagleman »

My 13 year old son and I went WED, evening jumped 8 and wounded one missed two but had great running, We went Friday jumped 9 I killed the first one he killed the last one had great running the last two hours awe went today with some others on different farm hunted four 4 hours one good race pne rabbit to hole and that was it but all in all a great few days Quality Time together

blackdirt beagles

Post by blackdirt beagles »

todays hunt was much better running. dogs looked great. ended up with 6. same dogs: TOM, CRAZY LADY, and CANDY.

illinois boy

Post by illinois boy »

me my brother and by friend went out yesterday with my 2 dogs in the porring rain and wind. the dogs started one right when i turned them loose and they ran for 2.5 hrs we killed 2 or my brother killed 2 but the dogs ran at least 5 different ones. my brother realy stuck it to me because i missed 3 and 2 of them he ended up killing. lol
nick
Johnson's Ace High Beagles

Hi Power Beagles

Post by Hi Power Beagles »

well had a decent hunt last Friday... Me and my dad went down to Hills Dale and went to the fisrt spot where we only came out with one.... went to another spot and come out with 4... after that my two little dogs were about wooped for the day... 5 on the first time of the year ain't bad though

Plow

Post by Plow »

Had a ball this past week,
Went Monday by myself, jumped 4 killed 1
Went Friday with Billy Johnson, jumped 7 ,we killed 3
Went Saturday with cousin Randy, J.B. Maynard & Lee, jumped (lost count, around 12, I think) we killed 8.
Plenty of good running & thanks to all my hunting buddies.
My freezer is a little fuller & my dogs are glad I have to go back to work tomorrow!

rhaley

Post by rhaley »

Ended the first week of hunting with 22.
10 on opening day (Monday)
0 on Tuesday. although we did jump 6-7, just couldn't get any in the bag
2 on Wed.
1 Thurs
3 Friday
6 Saturday
Dogs get a week off till the weekend to rest up after working very hard this week.