kennels maybe a bad thing

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tree man

Re: kennels maybe a bad thing

Post by tree man »

I was told tj was fine to deal with.. I done to many crooks here so I bought away from me.. can't trust no one. I don't have money laying around I can get another. Can't trust beaglers at all

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

:bash:
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

sparky

Post by sparky »

You went from kennels not being any good to beaglers are no good, I understand your salty and you wanna vent, but Come On Man :!:
SHAKE DOWN BEAGLES

coondawg

Post by coondawg »

Sorry about your experience I know there are a lot of dog traders out there but they are some good honest beaglers out there to meet a man called daddy rabbit he is straight up tells it like it is a good seller should let you see the dog run or let you have it on a trial basis. Just my way of doing business.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Eventually if every dog you get turns out to be a cull you gotta look at what you're doing, a shy dog will usually warm right up to a person if they hand feed and show some attention to the pup. Whenever I get a new pup they get plenty of inside time to hang out and get attention, they are kennel dogs but that certainly doesn't mean they don't get out of the kennel. Usually pups spend about 1/2 their time inside or on car rides with me until they are a good 6 months old and well socialized, I take them to public areas where they deal with all kinds of strange folks just so when they are grown nothing will rattle their cage. :nod:

Little Hawk

Post by Little Hawk »

tree man how old is this pup or dog I saw where you posted on the fox creek thread where you ran him for 5 hours took a 4 hour break and ran him 5 more hours said he was doing good he runs and handles good in the field but only acts this way in the kennel or on the chain?

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

It is not always the kennel or the owner sometimes it is just the dog! Sometime ago i had a dog that was not working out for me , she hunted ran a rabbit and was friendly as can be to the point of almost a pest when i went to kennel wanting attention. Gave her to a hunter that treated her very well. He called and said he could not get her out of the dog house
"Scared to Death" he tried and worked with it and it would not get better. Brought it back and was happy as can be here at my kennel playful and friendly. This dog ended of going toa young girl for a pet and she had to work a great deal with just to trust her. My point is some dogs cannot handle being moved from original home or kennel mates they have too much anxiety it just happens . So everyone should no all facts before passing judgement the owner and all those offering help.
Tom Summers

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

It might be what my vet calls "water on the brain".
Basically the dog is scared of everything and never trusts humans.
It can happen with any dog breed.
There is no cure.
If this is the case....i'm sure the guy would refund your $$ or exchange your dog.
;)

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I've had my hounds in above ground kennels for over 30 years and never had a problem. When I have pups, l let my grandkids play and rough house with them until they are sold.
It's not always the kennel or the handling, the chain, or being abused. Sometimes it's just the dog.

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

TJ has always been straight with me and I haven't heard anybody complain about him before. I would buy a dog on his word.
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

beagle-runner

Post by beagle-runner »

i have a male that is around 10 years old, and is a running machine,petted every day ,talked to, rubbed down and physically checked out 2 -3 times a week,but handled every day. never been abused ,runs the best for a old dog,and when i turn him loose he goes straight and jumps one and takes off to running, times i think he is just ghost running to please me, because he doesnt want to dissapoint me, but i dont expect this out of him. i just turn him loose to get some running around time or whatever he wants to do.any ways he's never been in a kennel, handled every day,never abused and has always been shy, every day i go to feed or check on them and as quick as i go to him he tuck's his tail and lays' his head on the ground or chin, and belly crawls to my feet like he is gonna get stomped or something,and he has never been in a kennel, beaten, abused ,whipped,scaulded,actually he has had it great! and i've owned him all his life,only thing i can figure it's in his blood or breeding, so i never would breed him due to being scared of his pup's taking up his shy traits. as far as kennels i have seen people have way to many dogs in one kennel, and hardly ever fooled with them,and they would run over u if u opened the door to'em or got in with'em they would jump all over u. but every body has diffrent opions and taste.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Tree man I have a litter coming out of my two favorite dogs. They are AKC registered FC bloodlines. I've been on this board for a while and you can ask around. I think I'm as straight a shooter as you can find. If I have enough pups I'll give you one. All you have to do is cover the shots and registration and the pup will be free..... In box me if your interested......dh

Newt

Post by Newt »

tree man wrote:I was told tj was fine to deal with.. I done to many crooks here so I bought away from me.. can't trust no one. I don't have money laying around I can get another. Can't trust beaglers at all

My second beagle, the first one that I bought, was back in 1969. It was so man shy that I couldn't get within twenty ft of it. After a couple weeks of feeding it started warming up to me. After he became like a pet to me, if a friend stopped by to talk, Tramp would go to the opposite side of the yard and stay until he left. After the stranger left, Tramp would sneak up to the chair and smell his chair.
Tramp turned out to be a heck of a rabbit dog. He liked the front, loved to hunt, and would run all day. He was just ahead of his time. He would have been a champion in todays Midwest or LP.

Sounds like you are mad at your self for being a sucker. ;) Been there and done that many times. Experience is a hard teacher sometimes. Stay strong, time will heal your pain.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

The question was ask, how old is this hound/pup? Some hounds getting into their teenage stage can get a little quirky when changing homes and owners. Some hounds nothing seems to bother them.

I remember nobody could catch Bredemier Apache but Billy. The easiest way for Billy to handle him was to tell one of the boys on the cast to catch him for him, Apache would be at Billy's side soon as anyone tried to lay hands on him and ole Billy would laugh and say, "it's ok boys, I got him"...lol
I remember one time I was helping Joe unload his hounds and I attempted to reach in to get Cody's Sharpe Mikie, I think he was going to eat my arm off. I had handled him in the field and petted him on the chain but he wouldn't let just anyone reach in the dogbox for him, no doubt in my mind, you would get bit.

I do agree, some pups can grow hand shy in these Coops. They need to be out on the ground as much as possible, nothing makes a well rounded hound like ground time and plenty of socialization from the owner/kids.
Some folks use their hats to discipline pups, maybe that's where he got his fear of hats. If he's ok out in the field, it just sounds like he's had some bad experiences in the kennel. Some folks can be awful hard on hounds for kennel barking. Just hard to say what's brought him to act like this.
Good luck working this out.

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

I think tree man has the problems not the dog.