Building Your Own Trailer

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SGP

Building Your Own Trailer

Post by SGP »

Looking for some advice from guy's on here that may have built there own trailers. Considering making one of the smaller ones with either two or three runs in the back and box with storage in the front. My main concern is there any certain frame design, axle, or tire size better then the other for hauling hounds ? Or for the one's that have built there own what would you do different if making a new one ? Just want to do this right the first time and have something that will last, any pic's would be appreciated thanks.

pilotknob

Re: Building Your Own Trailer

Post by pilotknob »

I've seen a few made from old small boat trailers.If you can handle the fabrication and welding it seems that they make a good base to start with.And can be found fairly cheap if you look around.

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

I have a 2 run trailer. My advice if your gonna build one is make it 3 runs!!! You won't be disappointed having the extra space for separating dogs as it always seems a couple just don't get along in the same kennel together and normally you have no extra space to put them elsewhere when your on the road!!
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Three runs sounds good, but I only have a two-door box, so it wold be hard. I'd also want a trailer with a five-foot deck minimum. Six feet would be better. I have a trailer that I think will work with a few modifications, but I'm still looking. By the time you get bigger tires, buy the flooring and add the fenders and lights, it might be easier and just as cheap to buy a used landscape trailer.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red