Patch hounds

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Randy Phipps

Re: Patch hounds

Post by Randy Phipps »

To answer the original posters question in my humble opinion as a rabbit hunter. Notice I stated rabbit hunter/gun hunter. The appeal the Patch line has for me is first and foremost is Intelligence and desire to please. Second would be their drive/desire/hunt. Maybe I have been very lucky, and only owned or hunted with the exceptional patch hounds? lol
I love my little lemon and white hounds. It means alot to me to know I can turn mine loose, and will soon have a rabbit race going. I will never say mine are perfect. I can say my dogs and the few other patch hounds I have hunted with, or saw run suited me and my style of hunting. "But to each their own" Guess that is why there is so many different bloodlines out there. Patch hounds may not be for everyone, due to different tastes/expectations of rabbit/hare hunting.
Until I see another dog/bloodline that better fits my idea of the perfect rabbit hunting machine. I will just keep hunting my little lemon and white hounds.
Feed and hunt what you like!

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Well said Randy

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

I agree,well said

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

that's right randy...how you been doing anyhow.... I lost your number .. how many u got left .....I got 8 right now with pups on the way..
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Randy Phipps

Post by Randy Phipps »

Hello Ricky,
I sent you a pm with my number. We have 3 running dogs right now since we lost ol'Snoop, Blondie and Demon. I currently have my dads male out of ol'Snoop in the breeding pen with my 3/4 Bossman female "Diva" trying to get some more new prospects.lol

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Randy P ,
What happened to Snoop ? Hate to here he gone . But I thought ur dad owned him now ?
randy
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

I been reading that Post with Interest, and since I had at one time a Pure breed Patch hound, I will give my Opinion on the one that I had, its been years ago, in fact lots, of your lads were still in diapers, or maybe not even around at that time.

I seen where a fellow in Georgetown S.C, had this big white male that he got from Willet Randell, in N.Y.had the male shipped to him. I was a very young fellow in the late 1960's only had two small children, so I thought up the idea of taking my wife and two kids down to the Beach there in S.C. and on the way back home, would drop buy and get this Male patch he was an AKC solid white male with very good looks. his name was White Moon, and he was about 2.5 years old at the time I bought him.

Back then there were several of us that run our hounds year round, and in the summer time we would all get together, and each take 3 or 4 hounds and on Friday night we would turn them loose, about sun down, and run the pack until the last one came back in, we fond that we better take our coffee pots and some eggs and bacon, as they were just getting round up well about mid night and nothing better than god ol black coffee and a pack of hounds getting it done, up and down the Broad River.

I was mighty proud of the big white male that I just bought he was a true gun dog with a very big Quivering Mouth,, I have yet to hear another hound that sound just like this male it was very unusual and I could pick it out of any pack. He was not a very fast hound, and I couldn't figure that our,,he was always in the pack and pick checks but didn't seem to ever take the lead? I also notice that the longer we ran the slower, he seem to get, so I took him to the Vet. and was Shocked to fine that he had heart Worms. the Vest said that was the first case they had ever seen here in my part of the country back in that time. Said they suspect that he came to me with them as that part of S.C. was lots of low swampy land with lots of mosquitoes, The local vet didn't know what to do, but they got me an appointment with the UGA, Thry sney wanted to keep the hound and give him some treatments, and see if they could, cure his problem,, this was a successful, outcome for my big white male,, Funny think his ears started to turning a light gold color, with a few weeks there was a gold spot on his back that was not there before.

Moon picked up speed and with lots more pep in his steps! he was a joy to own and he was killed in a dog fight in the kennels a number of years later, my only regreats, I didn't own more like that old boy.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Randy Phipps

Post by Randy Phipps »

Hello Randy,
We lost ol'Snoop late last year. Dad had let him loose to run, and he ended up getting hit on the highway. Luckily Terry had bred him to one of his females, and gave dad a male from his litter we call Ranger. He looks nearly identical to his dad, but where Snoop had the unusual rooster crow mouth Ranger has a good loud bawl. I have bred him to my double Bossman gyp Diva to try for a heavy line bred litter. Hoping to see the same intelligence, early starting, drive to hunt, and handling that I am used to seeing. I have a young gyp out of Snoop and my old Blondie bitch that is really turning it on and impressing me right now, but time will tell.....
Besides like Aubrey's above story good dogs and good fellowship is hard to beat, and really is what my dad and I enjoy. My dad is 75 years old now. A rabbit hunter all of his life, and to date still says that these little white Patch dogs are some of the best beagles he has ever owned or hunted with. I personally love their consistency. The intelligence, ease of starting, that grit and drive they have. I have also noticed even in my limited beagle breeding that this line has a knack for breeding consistent, as far as looks, hunt, foot, and especially that grey matter between their ears....That is why after beagling most of my life (45 years old) that I do not foresee owning anything, but a patch hound for my rabbit hunting..UNLESS I see a dog or bloodline that better suits me.
Sorry for the rambling, but in a nutshell that is my humble opinion. Run and hunt what you like. Breed with a constant look to the future in hopes of bettering the breed.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Glad u all were able to keep some of that bloodline . When R ur pups due ? If u have a female out of that litter I'd be very interested in buying one so keep me in mind.
randy
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

lowell robertson

Post by lowell robertson »

Randy Phipps, good to know you are still breeding and running patch. Twister, the male I got from you has contributed to line along with my sister to your Blondie female. Twister has been bred lightly but has produced well. Like LR, I would take one of those pups from your coming litter (female).

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

yes randy I got it call u soon./....I just had some pups born today I got 8 right now so far she had had 14 pups never lost one yet . so we will see.how she does ...I have a daughter and a granddaughter out of her here now
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

tnbeagleman

Post by tnbeagleman »

mostly white with yellow eyes sounds good to me haha nothing can stare you down like a yellow eyed hound when he knows he is right and you are wrong! I got some dogs that are just grade that have my patcheye dog in their pedigree. and have one female that is still akc that is patch breed on top!