best stud dog for hunt & drive .15IN CLASS

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

transman63

best stud dog for hunt & drive .15IN CLASS

Post by transman63 »

I am a big fan of hunt and drive!!!! I think IFC CEDAR BECK OLIVER is the best stud for hunt and drive in my state. which is mi. what is yours in your state 15 INCH ? remember hunt and drive ONLY!!!!!!!!!!
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

BCBeagles

Re: best stud dog for hunt & drive .15IN CLASS

Post by BCBeagles »

What do you consider hunt...running as quickly as they can away from you so they look to be "hunting" hard and covering tons of ground...or actually looking where rabbits are at and jumping them accordingly??

Many confuse these two traits...lol.

transman63

Post by transman63 »

BCBeagle's what ever "you"consenter hunt and drive to be should be your answer.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Though hunt (search?) and drive(determination?) are important qualities they would not make or break my decision on choosing a stud. Big nose, smooth running with minimal losses, tight check work, level headed, determination to stick with the run and body conformation would all be more important than hunt to me. Hunt is the one thing I can help a dog do if they can do all the rest well. I love dogs that hunt hard but if they can do all the rest very well they can stay here with me and I would'nt be afraid to use them for breeding.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

The stud I have seen to throw "hunt", actually looking where rabbits are, and drive to push hard for the front is FC Mt. Ash Dino....the dogs I saw out of him pushed harder at times than I like, personally, but they HUNT where rabbits are and jump rabbits not just look busy. They were above average track dogs as well when nose was properly proportioned to speed.

I don't own any off of him and this is just a fact from what I saw from multiple dogs off of him, crossed to different females...not just one successful cross.

golden acres

Post by golden acres »

Transman you ask these question a lot. I know Oliver is producing and you like him, the pups I have seen out of him which is only six from different females I did not like. I am not putting down his siring but am not a fan of what I have seen.
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com

transman63

Post by transman63 »

Jamie!!!! I did "not" ask you if you was a fan :hammer: maybe you bread 6 les then quality bitch's :loser:
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I believe the reason you see Trans post these kind of posts so much is because he's comparing what he's seeing from Oliver to everything else. Trans if it ain't broke don't go fixing it.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

transman63

Post by transman63 »

Casey Harney : I post fist and foremost for general conversion and input on other blood line's that run the same style that I like . hoping to find a different blood line that runs the same as the dog that I run.so I can consider using them in the future. so you are right. thanks for your input.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

transman63 wrote:Casey Harney : I post fist and foremost for general conversion and input on other blood line's that run the same style that I like . hoping to find a different blood line that runs the same as the dog that I run.so I can consider using them in the future. so you are right. thanks for your input.
Your welcome. I do like these questions as well.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

golden acres

Post by golden acres »

Have never bread to him. Only the dogs I have judged. Thinking about breeding him to Aj Milz to ad hunt to Milz
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

The best trait I like about Oliver pup that I have is drive and clean. Fast, close, and clean.
Minnesota Beagler

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

Another great stud that I like is Dan Johnson female out of izzo. She is fast and close. Her style is runs to catch. She won and placed on cotton tail and hare. I might give izzo a shot cause he does throw some 13".
Minnesota Beagler

beaglestotrack

Post by beaglestotrack »

After training 100s of beagles I have learned that hunt is something u can not teach a dog!! Either they have it or they dont.

Trying to say you can teach a beagle to hunt is like saying u can teach them to have a better nose..
With this said unless u want to walk a dog untill you hit a track it is important to find a dog that inprints hunt into its stock

cjones

Post by cjones »

It amazes me how much people differ in their opinions. I have seen people talk about how good a dog hunts then I watch them and they stay busy but never get more than 20 yards from you. I even know guys who will shock dogs for getting more than 30 yards away from them. I expect my dogs to get gone and go jump me a rabbit. If I wanted to walk everywhere I wouldn't need dogs. Then guys talk about how a dog has good foot then when you see them run, they are barely above medium speed. If your having races where you run a rabbit for an hour and a half or longer, you either don't have fast dogs or they are constantly losing the track. If you have fast dogs a rabbit won't stay up that long or they will be caught. . Now I realize there are some areas where the rabbits run big and you can have races like that like in the Indiana coal mines but that's more the exception than the norm.. it all comes down to what you have seen. The best dog you have seen run may not be as good as the worst in my pack and vise versa. The best way is to watch as many of the big name dogs run as you can so you can be better informed on what the top end hounds look like. Also if your considering breeding to a stud dog that is being regularly trialed, goto a trial and watch the dog run. It always bothered me when I would be at a trial every weekend and then have a guy call me 20 times wanting to breed to my stud then the day before call me and say, oh BTW I wanna watch him run while I'm there. I never have a problem showing a dog but if I have the dog at a trial every weekend you can see him run there. When you have a stud dog people act like your time isn't valuable at all. They call and don't care to ask for anything then when you agree they show up 2 hours later than agreed upon or don't show up at all.. sorry for the rant..lol
LPGRCH GBCH Saten's Big Time Bodie
LPGRCH GBCH Staten's Blue Honey
LPRCH Windy Ridge Boy Named Sue
LPRCH BCH BLK'S Little Girl
Staten's Up Front Ami