flea and tick collars .

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

transman63

flea and tick collars .

Post by transman63 »

flea and tick collars do they work on beagles in the field for you or no ?
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

Mike Gibeaut

Re: flea and tick collars .

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

I use the Python cattle tags no ticks no fleas. some people call them purple cow tags
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

transman63

Post by transman63 »

is it small enough just to hang on the collar ?
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Mike Gibeaut wrote:I use the Python cattle tags no ticks no fleas. some people call them purple cow tags

+1
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Mike Gibeaut

Post by Mike Gibeaut »

Yes where I buy them they are put together just slip on collar bought mine in April will be good until October
Mike Gibeaut
Listen to your Dogs With Your Ears Watch Them With Your Eyes Leave your Ego At Home

transman63

Post by transman63 »

are they sold at TSC.? anyone no ?
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

That's where I got mine.

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

Not trying to start an argument but have any of you using the tags tried to breed a female that has worn one? I know a couple guys that have had a terrible time getting a bitch to stick when they are using them. I have thought about using them myself but I just can't get myself to hang a tag thats got enough dope on it for a 1000 lb cow on my 20 lb beagle. Ive never compared the active ingredient to anything but wonder if its active ingredient is way higher than a dogs dose. Thats one nice thing about the Beyer complete insect control is that you an compare its active ingredient to the Beyer advantex 2 to get a decent dose rate.
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

i have never used the purple tags myself but run with guys who have. they had a few dogs whos kidneys shut down and and their vet seems to think this might be a contributung factor. like stated above enough to treat 1000 lbs on a 30 lb animal. I am hearing good reports on the preventic collars.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I have no personal experience with using cow tags/insecticide on my dogs.Truth be told I've always had some reservations like those expressed by rabbitchaser and sanmiller03 about using something designed for a 1/2 ton or more of beef animal on a 25 lb. beagle.Especially with said cow tag hanging inches away from the dog's nose,mouth,eyes and brain.I would doubt very much that you could find many if any vets. that would say without reservations "ya,go ahead and use them,nothing wrong with them,absolutely no known side effects".Because they are being used for something they were not designed for there probably has been no research done concerning short or more importantly long term effects on dogs.
Those insecticides can have some very potent chemicals in them so you may be playing with fire and something like kidney damage may take years to become evident.
Twenty years ago when I first moved south to Tn. I found that many of the local hunters were using a product called Spot On for their dogs.This is a topical cattle insecticide.During my working years I had many veterinarians in Tn. and Ky.as customers and almost everyone of them could relate stories of coondogs,bird dogs and beagles that ended up in their clinics in comas or dying from that stuff and being overdosed to a toxic level.
Friend of mine in Georgia used it for years on his coondogs until several of them developed skin tumors/masses on their backs were he'd been administering it .
Like I said,I have no experience about using any of the cattle insecticides but BE CAREFUL!
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

John Way

Post by John Way »

Been using the purple tags for 15 yrs. Never a side effect.Hounds wear tags from April - December. Do remove from any bitch when she is bred as would any flea tick collar / topical. My vets only concern was animals kenneled together possibly injesting an entire tag. Can't think of the company off hand , but a medallion tag , with essentially the same ingredients is manufactured for canines. Hangs from collar as would a pet identifaction medallion. Costs triple what the purple tags will run you.
Truth be told , I know a local cattle farmer that uses purple tags on many of his animals. He puts one in each ear. It only controls biting flies, ticks etc on the face /ears. Thats what they were designed for. Still finds plenty of ticks on balance of body. So that weight ratio talk is out the window. Guess you need to do what you feel comfortable with.

gpen08

Post by gpen08 »

I use the purple cattle tags myself. I use purple because they were tested on dogs according to some research I did when I started using them 7 years ago. No issues with females not sticking. My female had 9 pups in October last year and she wears one all the time. As John said I did take it off before she whelped. Not surprised a vet wouldn't want you to use them. Money out of their pocket if you don't buy their recommended products. Just like heart worm preventives and shots you get over the counter.