Syris Mcgee

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BB Beagles

Syris Mcgee

Post by BB Beagles »

Would like to read some posts from guys who know some history on Syris and how he performed. I've heard some but like to broaden the opinions. Everything I've heard has been good. Just like hear others opinions too.

Next, does anybody have any up close breeding to Syris or linebred dogs. I'm thinking about looking into getting a female.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

transman63

Re: Syris Mcgee

Post by transman63 »

I have never seen him go. but a friend of mine did and cant say enough good about him he go's by( beagleman63) on hear. he owns a male his dam is out of syris.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

mundellm

Post by mundellm »

Rick Giermata (Smokes Creek Kennels - Buffalo, NY) the owner of Syris line breeds on him . He goes by "Rick G" on this board.

Last time i spoke to Rick, he ran UKC and started the New Empire Beagle Club http://www.newempirebeagleclub.webs.com/

Search this and the UKC forum ...plenty of info on him.

John-PA

Post by John-PA »

I've seen him run a lot, under the gun, for fun and in competition. He was one of the best.

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

I can say i seen syris run 1 or 2 times. He destroyed a pack both times. Monster of the Midway as advertised. Rick owned him somehow he ended up in Kentucky from there not sure what happened.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I never saw Syris run but did own a female that was sired by Reggie and out of a strong linebred Syris female that I thought was outstanding and she made R.CH. in Little Pack in four hunts.My friend Peter Burns in Murfreesboro,Tn. has kept linebred Syris hounds for years and I've always thought they were good/solid rabbit dogs.
Syris must have had the tools as according to his stud ad in Better Beagling magazine he championed out in 3 registries; ARHA Lttle Pack,UKC Hunting Beagle and AKC SPO.He championed out in AKC as a 2 year old which ain't too shabby.
Ad goes on to say that he had 21 first places and 27 2'nd--4'ths in the three registeries and six different formats on both cottontail and hare.1999 Mid-West Gun Dog Assoc. Derby championship winner.1999 Mid-West 15" Derby Hound of the year.2000 Better Beagling Outstanding Pack Hound Award-15" male.
This is in no way to be considered a knock on Syris but,I always wondered if he was a reproducer of high quality hounds as I've never been aware of many/any hounds out of him that made a mark.Could be a case of he never was bred much,his pups were never competed/promoted or he never was able to produce as good as himself??????????? Just wondering.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

les guynn

Post by les guynn »

I heard a while back that he had died, Some way he got Hung in his pin.

Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Syris was bred approximately 16 times in the 5 years that he lived. Out if those litters he produced 30 titled off spring in arha, UKC and AKC as well as a hand full of bench champions. There were also several hounds in both AKC large lack and SPO that had wins and places. There were several others that also had wins in multiple registries. I would take a good guess to more than double those numbers if we go into grand and great grand pups. He was a pleasure to own and trial and till this day I can't count the friendships I made through trialling the county with him. Syris has been gone for over 11 years now, and could not imagine had he lived a full life what his true impact on our sport could have been. Being the first hound to earn field championships in three registry formats till this day is rare, as there I think is three in beagling history. In 2010 Syris brought me another title by being inducted into the NHBA Hall of Fame. His blood will always be a huge factor in Smoke a Creek Kennels. This post brought back some great memories! Thanks all for keeping the legend of Smokes Creek Syris McGee " The Monster of the Mid West" remembered!

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Rick, thanks for the info on Syris. Like I said earlier I have heard nothing but great from him. He's one of the past hounds that I wish I could've seen go. Would you happen to know anybody that line breeds off him located in ky or tn? Thanks again
BONE BOX BEAGLES

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

BB Beagles wrote:Rick, thanks for the info on Syris. Like I said earlier I have heard nothing but great from him. He's one of the past hounds that I wish I could've seen go. Would you happen to know anybody that line breeds off him located in ky or tn? Thanks again
BB I bought a female that was a granddaughter from Syris from a guy in Crossville TN. that owned a male that was straight out of Syris I cannot think of his name but Rick I think knows who I'm talking about.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

salzer mtn, thank you for info. Always appreciative. I been scanning the Top 100 Beagle site and think I found the kennel you were thinking of ( Gibson Plateau Beagles ) located in crossville Tn.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

Rick G

Re: Syris Mcgeec

Post by Rick G »

Just remember that every time a cross is made to a none Syris bred hound, the pups are less and less Syris. I'm still breeding Syris sons to Syris grand and great grand daughters to keep the traits pure. A lot of guys thing that if Syris is a few generationsback on one side that they have smokes creek style and traits...they don't.. direct Syris pups would be over 11 years old at the youngest. So if your intent on having it, you would have to get a pup from up here or breed to my males. Besides Maximus Crank, all the males here are Syris top and bottom. The guy in Tennessee is Don Gibson. Major is still alive but I don't think Don is still breeding or beagling anymore.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Couldn't agree with ya more Rick.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Here's Donnie contact info unless it's changed ? He lives in Crossville,TN.
Phone 931-484-6573 or 931-267-8463. email donnie1462@charter.net
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Briarhoppers

Post by Briarhoppers »

I have a couple linebred Syris females. Back when Syris stood stud in KY I drove up from TN and bought a female pup directly out of Syris and a male pup directly out of Blue Syris. Both these pups turned out to be fine rabbit dogs and I crossed them once they were about 2 yrs old and kept a pup I called Maggie McGee. She turned out better than either of her parents!

Maggie turned 10 yrs old this summer and has been my best and favorite rabbit hound that I've owned. Just as solid as the day is long. I have no idea how many rabbits have been shot over her but I'd say upwards of 1000. She is all white faced now and i hate to see her slowing up a bit.

She doesn't have a title by her name but that is my fault not hers! I got into little pack trailing and went to a handful of hunts about 5 yrs ago- Maggie got her first and 95 pts and i never took her back to get the final 5'pts. Just didn't have the desire to field trial.

I have many found memories of hunting over Maggie and Fancy, the other linebred Syris female I have that is 9 yrs old.
PUCKETT CREEK RABBIT HOUNDS
http://our-southern-roots.com/