GPS Training Collars

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

KPrice

GPS Training Collars

Post by KPrice »

Folks, I need some education on what are the latest and greatest collar setups out there. I have heard plenty of talk about the GPS functionality but I have only used old school Tri-Tronics collars for years. I bought a new Trashbreaker set a little over a year ago. It would have been nice to know that they were discontinuing them at the time that I bought it. Anyway, I'd love to hear feedback from folks with GPS collars. I feel like my Dad when he couldn't figure out how to set the time on the VCR. Technology is leaving me behind. LOL

What's the best model for beagles?
How easy are they to use?
How many collars can be set to a single transmitter? Can collars be added separately?
Is the GPS fully loaded with maps, etc?

Thanks

2barrel

Re: GPS Training Collars

Post by 2barrel »

One word "Garmin". The only issue is the size dog you will be running. The older discontinued DC40 work best for smaller dogs. The new models have more features and better signal strength. The problem with smaller beagles is some dogs will hit their front legs on collar causing leg sores. We are all waiting on Garmin to make a smaller/compact unit. As with everything they are cheaper/smaller units available from other companies but my experience is they are not as reliable. If you have small dogs(13") look under equipment on the board some one has a set of DC40 and trash breaker units for sale. Hope this helps. Happy running.

KPrice

Post by KPrice »

Is the Garmin trashbreaker unit GPS equipped?

jpratt

Post by jpratt »

Garmin alpha. Best unit in my opinion. If you decide to buy one get it from someone like okiedogsupply.com. They will help you set it up and use it step by step. Very good customer service. :cool:

hounddog

Post by hounddog »

KPrice wrote:Is the Garmin trashbreaker unit GPS equipped?
No it's not. If you want training and tracking abilities in one collar you will have to go with the Garmin Apha.
It does both from one handheld unit.
If you can use a smart phone you can operate the Alpha. I got one and figured it out in no time. I had never owned a tracking device in my life until I got the Alpha. Best piece of equipment I ever bought.

hounddog
Jim Umbarger
---------Jump Mountain Kennels-----------
540-292-3000

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Yep, alpha is the way to go unless you believe like some do, that garmin is making a garmin mini unit.

I would pay DEARLY for a smaller unit even if it didn't range as far.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

cpuckett

Post by cpuckett »

For those of u who dont believe that garmin is coming out with a smaller track and train unit call mike at okie dog supply 918-633-3519. They r field testing these collars as we speak. They will lose some range but he said they will marry up to the alpha 100 hand held. Thats the only reason i didnt buy any 3 months ago. He could have very well sold me the alpha tt15. But told me bout these. They r basicly trying to put tracking unitsin the trash breaker pro. Hope this helps
Puckett's Ridge Squallin Kennel

Mhouse

Post by Mhouse »

Garmin Alpha all the way! Chuck Prather from Plumcreek kennels will hook you up with smaller collars for smaller dogs. I run mine on 13inch and under small females and no leg problems. I think it has more to do with the dogs running gait than anything! Good luck!

Mike
MEADOWWOOD'S BEAGLES

Shotgun John

Post by Shotgun John »

I just got the Sportdog tek 2.0 Here is a video clip of it. https://youtu.be/yFjIQ6Fk7dw
Here is the link to the manual you can also check out. http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/gundog/sportdog-tek2.pdf

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

cpuckett wrote:For those of u who dont believe that garmin is coming out with a smaller track and train unit call mike at okie dog supply 918-633-3519. They r field testing these collars as we speak. They will lose some range but he said they will marry up to the alpha 100 hand held. Thats the only reason i didnt buy any 3 months ago. He could have very well sold me the alpha tt15. But told me bout these. They r basicly trying to put tracking unitsin the trash breaker pro. Hope this helps

This may be the best news I have heard in a while. No matter how much I try to make the collars not destroy my hounds, they do.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

Shotgun John

Post by Shotgun John »

cpuckett wrote:For those of u who dont believe that garmin is coming out with a smaller track and train unit call mike at okie dog supply 918-633-3519. They r field testing these collars as we speak. They will lose some range but he said they will marry up to the alpha 100 hand held. Thats the only reason i didnt buy any 3 months ago. He could have very well sold me the alpha tt15. But told me bout these. They r basicly trying to put tracking unitsin the trash breaker pro. Hope this helps
wouldn't this still be larger than the Tek 2.0 collars?

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

I'd say something is in the works as far as a new product goes. Lion Country just put the Alpha 100/TT10 combo on sale for 650 bucks. That's a great deal.
http://www.lcsupply.com/Garmin-Alpha-10 ... /ALPHA100/

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Smoke'n Mack wrote:I'd say something is in the works as far as a new product goes. Lion Country just put the Alpha 100/TT10 combo on sale for 650 bucks. That's a great deal.
http://www.lcsupply.com/Garmin-Alpha-10 ... /ALPHA100/

The TT10 is the original Alpha collar...the TT15's have been out for awhile so that could be part of it. I heard a rumor of a unit they were going to offer that would track the older DC30/40/50 collars as well as the Alpha track and train collars to try to coax those holding onto their Astros because they had so many collars already into upgrading where they could purchase a handheld and collars over time instead of investing thousands all at once.

Snow Dog

Post by Snow Dog »

Are there any updates on the " New Smaller Collars" ?
Good running to you! Jim Dagley

Snow Dog

Post by Snow Dog »

Are there any updates on the New Smaller Collars ?
Good running to you! Jim Dagley