Related to my overdosed dog post ,how many use ivomec?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

wildcatfan0309

Related to my overdosed dog post ,how many use ivomec?

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

How many use this stuff?
Seems like if it can affect a dog in a way that it has affected my new dog , that maybe it aint for dogs.
Ive used it in the past think i done a half a cc every month
Just seems like even a lil bit would affect a dog some atleast.
But then again it i take a couple tylenol it gets rid of my headache but if i take a whole botyle it kills me. Lol
So maybe ivomec is a good thingbif given correctly.
How many use it ?
And
Should i start using it?

WELLS WOODS

Re: Related to my overdosed dog post ,how many use ivomec?

Post by WELLS WOODS »

It prevents heartworms, helps with fleas, ticks & mange & kills most worms other than tapeworms, but you have to be really careful not to give them too much. A quarter of a CC is plenty for a 25 pound dog.
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Give it orally, not by injection...JMO.

Been using it for years.....I believe it does a good job.

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Does anyone use the Ivermectin horse paste.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

I've been using it since the late 80's with no problems.

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

I know i had a dog that couldnt handle the purple cattle ear tags
I know u guys have seen em
People put em on dog collars
They work excellenet
Inused to use them till i had one dog that was allergic to them
It took his voice away
Tried it a couple different times
And it was defently the ear tags that took his voice away
Id take the tag off his collar and his voise would come back in about 3 days
I quit using them on him and he never lost his voice again

mud

Post by mud »

Been using ivomec for years. Never had the first problem. My thoughts are its very safe and effective. Its like anything else you have to use a little common sense. I always give mine orally. I have a hunting buddy who gives his dogs shots. He gives half a cc. an never had a problem. I generally give 1/10 of a cc per 10lbs.I mix it with something because of the bitter taste.

mingoman

Post by mingoman »

Never had any problems with it either and I've used it for years.

JDTKennels

Post by JDTKennels »

I use Equimax on my beagles, works very good.

warddog

Post by warddog »

mud wrote:Been using ivomec for years. Never had the first problem. My thoughts are its very safe and effective. Its like anything else you have to use a little common sense. I always give mine orally. I generally give 1/10 of a cc per 10lbs.I mix it with something because of the bitter taste.
+1

bfoster

Post by bfoster »

I read this post years ago on the subject and have always kept it for reference. I feel it may be beneficial to some of you know.

Chuck wrote: by wigwala » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:44 am
Equimax is the best wormer on the market; and it does treat for everything including heart worms (equimax contains ivomec). I use it every 4 months or when I see any sign of tape worms. I use ivomec on the months between the equimax. You can not beat the ivomec / equimax combo for effectiveness and cost.

Do not start using anything containing ivomec on dogs that have not routinely been on heartworm preventative; it could kill them. The ivomec can kill adult heart worms in the heart and cause them to release and clog the heart (heart attack)

As for dosage here is an article from espo that is helpul: what it boils down to is a pea sized amount for a 25lb dog
My Vet said a dog needs 2.5mg to 3mg of Droncit (Prazequantel) per pound to effectively kill tape worms. You can find some info about the Equimax herehttp://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 6d60555286

The Equimax (plunger of paste) that I purchased contains (ivermectin 1.87% / praziquantel 14.03%) 91 mcg ivermectin per lb. (200 mcg/kg) and 0.68 mg praziquantel per lb. (1.5 mg/kg) of body weight. Its net weight is 0.225 oz (6.42g) and treats 1320 lbs of horse flesh. This plunger contains 897.6 mg of Droncit (1320 lbs X 0.68 mg/lb.). I then took 3cc syringes and removed the contents. I came up with 7cc total. Now then…897.6mg divided by 7cc equals 128.14mg/1cc of Droncit. Which would treat a dog between 43lbs. and 51lbs (128.14mg divided by 3mg equals 42.7lbs. and 128.14 divided by 2.5mg equals 51.26).

This chart maybe helpful:

1cc = 43lbs. to 51lbs.
9/10cc = 38lbs. to 46lbs.
8/10cc = 34lbs. to 41lbs.
7/10cc = 30lbs. to 36lbs.
6/10cc = 26lbs. to 31lbs.
5/10cc = 21lbs. to 26lbs.
4/10cc = 17lbs. to 21lbs.
3/10cc = 13lbs. to 15lbs.
2/10cc = 9lbs. to 10lbs.
1/10cc = 4lbs. to 5lbs.

Now about the Ivermectin…

According to a Question and Answer article by Dr. Silverio found here on this web site at http://www.espomagazine.com/vet/jan96.htm “The dosage used to prevent heartworm disease is only 3 - 6 micrograms per pound of body weight, given orally once a month. A much higher dose of Ivermectin (50 mcg/lb) is required to kill adult hookworms and whipworms, and an even higher (100 mcg/lb) is about 90% effective against the common roundworm of dogs…” (Not recommended for Collies). Also, “To achieve the dose of 100 mcg/lb, Ivomec should be given orally at 0.1 cc for every 10 pounds of body weight. This is equivalent to 1/4 cc for a 25 pound beagle and can be given once a month to prevent the diseases caused by the four parasites mentioned. All dogs should be tested for heartworm disease before the first dose.”

Based on the above information of 100mcg/lb dosage needed…I came to these conclusions. Remember the Equimax (plunger of paste) that I purchased contains (ivermectin 1.87% / praziquantel 14.03%) 91 mcg ivermectin per lb. (200 mcg/kg) of body weight. Its net weight is 0.225 oz (6.42g) and treats 1320 lbs of horse flesh. This plunger contains 120,120mcg of Ivermectin (1320 lbs X 91mcg/lb.). Remember it contains 7cc…now then…120,120mcg divided by 7cc equals 17,160mcg/1cc of Ivermectin. Which would treat a dog of 172lbs. (120,120mcg divided by 100mcg equals 171.6lbs.).

The following chart would be:

1cc = 172lbs.
9/10cc = 154lbs.
8/10cc = 137lbs.
7/10cc = 120lbs.
6/10cc = 103lbs.
5/10cc = 86lbs.
4/10cc = 69lbs.
3/10cc = 52lbs.
2/10cc = 34lbs.
1/10cc = 17lbs.

Now then when using the Equimax…based on these to charts a 25lb. beagle who received a 5/10cc dose of Droncit (praziquantel) but, would also receive enough Ivermectin for 86lbs (or nearly 3 and half dogs). My Vet told me this high dosage of Ivermectin would not hurt my beagles. In fact, he assured me that there are no studies that he is aware of showing any correlation between Ivermectin use and kidney failures.

Can Dr. Silverio concur this information about the high dosage of Ivermectin? Or can or will others ask their Vet?

Many Thanks,

Clyde

P.S. – Stan I’d give David’s (Hunt6) idea about using the 3cc syringe (minus the needle of course) a try it worked great for me. The 3cc syringe fits into the end of the Equimax plunger perfect. I can easily draw out a half cc and squirt some back into the plunger, if I draw out a tad too much. But most important of all…I can put the 3cc syringe in the back of the dogs throat…squeeze and I’m ready for the next one. If one draws or pushes all the contents into one large syringe…one runs the risk of squeezing out to much…that is unless one has a syringe with a lock on it similar to the Equimax plunger. Now that I think about…I never did check how much was in a click on that Equimax plunger. But I have another way.

Using the Droncit calculations…1cc treats up to 51lbs. …and there are 7cc of wormer in the Equimax plunger…thus the whole thing treats 357 pound of dog flesh. There are 12 clicks on the Equimax plunger…thus each click will treat 29.75lbs of dog flesh.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I have used Ivomec for many years now and have not seen any problems with it.One thing that is VERY IMPORTANT to note though is make sure that you are using just the PLAIN Ivomec and NOT the Ivomec Plus.According to vets. I've talked to the Plus has other things in it that can hurt your dog and those other ingredients are designed specifically for certain gut worms in cattle and their multiple stomachs.
bfoster,I think in your first post you mentioned that the dog in question had also been treated with Bayer Advantage Tree&Shrub or Insecticide product to kill fleas and ticks.To my way of thinking I would more suspect that to possibly be the cause of your dog's problems than the Ivomec.
The principle insecticides are organophosphates and carbamates.Improper application of insecticides to the dog can lead to absoption of a toxic dose through the skin.These effect the nervous system primarily.Make no mistake,insecticides are poisons!
This a direct quote from a veterinary publication I have "An overdose of an insecticide could cause your dog to twitch at the mouth,foam,collapse,convulse and fall into a coma.Other signs of insecticide toxicity are diarrhea,asthematic wheezing,a staggering gate and muscle twitching and jerking.
If you suspect that your dog is suffering from an insecticide reaction give him a bath in warm soapy water to remove residual compounds and keep him quiet.
CAUTION: Some worm medicines contain similar chemicals.If your dog has just been wormed,there could be a sudden build up of chemicals in his system from powdering,dipping or spraying with an insecticide".
I know all of us dog men want to save some money when it comes to our dogs but be careful with some of these "off use" products!
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

bfoster

Post by bfoster »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote: bfoster,I think in your first post you mentioned
Twasn't me!!
I might have been Creeping with the girl next door.
But the first post you mention... Twasn't me!!

https://youtu.be/Qv5fqunQ_4I

Rick Conley Jr.

Post by Rick Conley Jr. »

Has anyone tried the pour-on ivomec
Home of
LP Grand Champion Hollywood's Luke Duke

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

bfoster
Sorry for the mistake.That original post about the overdosed dog was by wildcatfan0309.
When saw the headline of this post "Related to my overdosed dog post...... authored by you,I mistakenly thought it was yours.
Again,sorry.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch