Artificial insemination

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Colebuck Beagles

Artificial insemination

Post by Colebuck Beagles »

Last I heard the success rate on beagles was pretty poor. But just curious....have any of you had pups through AI? Would like to hear both success stories and also those that have failed! Trying to gather some info...thanks

barnold1

Re: Artificial insemination

Post by barnold1 »

We tried it on two unproven females, with an older unproven male, one of which also got a natural tie. Both had the false pregnancies thereafter. Then bred same male to an older proven female naturally, had six. Tied him naturally on another unproven female, she took as well. So no luck using AI for us. Vet that checked his sperm said he looked plenty good, but a natural tie would always have better probability than AI and I should try natural breeding when that option is possible.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

I had a very good female I wanted to breed a few years ago who would never let a male touch her. Instead of letting her line end, I contacted the vets at The Ohio State University and took her and a male to be bred there. I had to make 4 or 5 trips in all, and spent close to $1000 including gas, but I got a nice litter of 10 puppies. Four years later, I still have 2 males and 2 females from that cross. And now I have puppies from a couple of them as well. The OSU vets were experts at this.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Did it one time about 20 yrs ago it was a success only did AI one time and had 6 pups