Litter costs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

Litter costs

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I know there are a lot of variables when it comes to raising a litter ie: stud fee,whether you need a brucellosis test or not,travel to accomplish breeding,etc.,etc.
I raised a litter [ 5 pups ] this spring and just for my own curiousity kept track of what I spent up to the time I sold the pups.

Brucellosis test -$66.00
Stud fee -$200.00
Gas to Ky. and back -$60.00
Motel -$63.00
Food on trip -$20.00
Nemex II -$13.00
Puppy Chow -$45.00
Whelping box shavings -$8.00
Vaccine 1'st & 2'nd shots - $90.00
A.K.C. litter registration -$35.00

TOTAL litter costs -$600.00.Which comes out to $120.00 per pup at 8 weeks old.
As all dogmen know, this doesn't even begin to take into account your time.
Because I only raise a litter when I want a pup I figure it this way-------I got the pick of the litter female that I wanted for free.Sold the other 4 pups at $200.00 each for a total of $800.00 minus the $600.00 cost for a grand profit of $200.00.
And some folks think there's $ in beagle pups????
Some folks may be able to do it a lot cheaper but that's what it cost me.
Curious to hear your thoughts.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

TnHoss

Re: Litter costs

Post by TnHoss »

If people think there is money in beagle pups then they are in the wrong business. I will never make even a percentage back of what I have spent over the years on breeding and raising pups. It can be expensive unless you do somethings yourself.
Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

My granddad said it best,"if you wanna make a small fortune in dogs, start with a big fortune, and it will get small real quick"
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

J C he was a wise wise man !! But it's just not beagles or dogs for that matter , these days any hobbie is expensive .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Not to mention just pups but, adult dogs. I have had alot of calls over past years looking for running , deer proof hounds and been told $300 is alot of money they were looking in the $100 range.
This just baffles me. There just isnt money in beagles.

TnHoss

Post by TnHoss »

That's true tom, I have people every year inquire about running dogs and when I price them they seem shell shocked ($ 300-400 range ) People want you to give them to them, they don't think about all the upkeep and cost you put into getting the dog to where it is.
Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces

plottwalker

Post by plottwalker »

around here pups go for 350-500. lots of people wanting pets i guess.

but if your wanting to sell a decent broke rabbit dog, your lucky if you get more then 250. if you can even find some one to buy them

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

dana if u had the sire and dam on your place that cut down some ,,,but your right u aint gonna get rich selling pups
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Chip E

Post by Chip E »

And you did not take into account if you have a Female that has trouble having the pups and a Vet bill which will be at least $600.00 if everything goes good at the Vets.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Yeah. I don't get it. When you buy a pup and spend $200 for an 8 week old pup, by the time that pup is a year old how much do you suppose you have invested? The best all around beagle I ever owned I paid $1200 for as a 5 year old. She was worth every penny of it and I would do it again for the right dog. Currently I have a 2 year old that I bought as a pup from a guy in the mid west. By the time I got her here I had $500 in her when Buckeye Hound Haulers backed out of the driveway. Thankfully, she seems to be developing into a hound I am going to be pleased with. Could have just as easily gone the otherway. Point being, if you are expecting your hobby to pay for itself your hobby better look more like your job and if you know what you want in a dog and can find one all trained that suits you, that's not at all a bad way to go. In the long run it likely is cheaper. Personally, I thoroughly enjoy raising them up from 8 weeks old and a that goes into doing it. I don't begrudge paying for a well bred pup that comes from proven heritage and has been raised by a responsible seller that has done their job throughout the process. If you have ever bought a pup from my friend Shadygrove you've gotten just that.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Last edited by DIXIEDOG on Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

It's tough to pay much for an adult dog....the term running/broke dog has a lot of variation depending on who is using the term. I figure it like this, the odds somebody is going to sell a top shelf hunting beagle are slim to none...now a dog with too much mouth, one that skirts, one that doesn't search hard, ....etc. are likely to be sold. You can see that dog solo and it's very possible you're not going to see any of these traits but put it in a pack and it may fall apart real quick. I tend to not buy "started" dogs I'd rather get an eight week old and take my chances on it being a good hunter :nod:

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Three very important keys in buying a running dog:

1. Know exactly what you want in a dog and don't deviate from it.

2. Know who your buying the dog from, know that they know the type of dog you like and that they are a person of integrity.

3. See the dog go in person! Several times if possible and in terrain that is as close to what you hunt in as possible.

Igmore these at your own peril.

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

I don't want to know what it costs. My wife might find out. ROWCO

Newt

Post by Newt »

Brucellosis test -$66.00_______________Use my own stud or one that I sold a local hunter 00.
Stud fee -$200.00__________________________________________________See above 00
Gas to Ky. and back -$60.00__________________________________________See above 00.
Motel -$63.00____________________________________________________ See above 00.
Food on trip -$20.00_______________________________________________ See above 00.
Nemex II -$13.00 _________________________________________________ 13.00
Puppy Chow -$45.00_______________________________________Old Roy High Protein 26.00
Whelping box shavings -$8.00___________Whelping Box with Carpet, I use it over and over 00.
Vaccine 1'st & 2'nd shots - $90.00___________________Tray of twenty-five Shots five way100.00
A.K.C. litter registration ______________________________________________________$35.00
Total--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------$174.00
I did my time chasing star of the month stud dogs.
Big difference