Favorite brand of leather hunting boots?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

big w beagles

Favorite brand of leather hunting boots?

Post by big w beagles »

I'm needing new leather boots for next hunting season. What is everyone's favorite boots. I have been wearing Rocky boots with 200 to 400 grams of insulation. They claim to be waterproof, but it only last a few months even with me spraying them and using mink oil. I mostly only use them for rabbit hunting and a week or two of deer gun season. What boots are other rabbit hunters wearing? I have La Crosse rubber boots for wet weather.

bear128

Re: Favorite brand of leather hunting boots?

Post by bear128 »

I had some danner boots and I don't recommend them same issue with waterproof and the shoelace straps broke under a year old very disappointed in them for the money I spent

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

My favorite leather boot is the Red Wing Irish Setter in either the 600 or 1000 gram thinsilate. Never had a problem with them leaking.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I'm switching to Irish Setter as well.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Cabelas outfitter series...had good luck with them...my favorite version of them the Ultralight by Mendl...great boot.

I find it very, very hard to not put on my Woodymax Mucks...easy boot to use.

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

I agree Jim. Have had good luck in the past with the Cabela's Outfitter boots, but since they shipped the manufacturing of them to China, I think the quality is not what it used to be. I have a pair of the Mendl boots which have held up as far as waterproofing for the last 1-1/2 yrs, but the style and amount of insulation I like doesn't come in a 12" boot which is usually what I use for hunting. The lacing system on them also could be better. You will also pay pretty good for the Mendl boots, made in Germany I believe, but I guess you get what you pay for. As far as I'm concerned, none of them stay waterproof long enough even with boot wax. Good luck, and if you find something superior to the ones mentioned for a reasonable price, let us all know. Nothing will end a hunt faster for me than wet, cold feet.

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

I use Woody Max Mucks in cold, wet weather and La Crosse boots when its wet and cool. But I prefer to wear leather boots as often as possible. I had ankle surgery years ago and feel like leather boots give me more support.

Some replied they like Red Wings. Which Red wing model do you prefer?

jeremy rice

Post by jeremy rice »

Danner pronghorns. Yes they only lasted a year but I put them to the test judged weekend after weekend all day long. Rain snow and major down pours never did my feet get wet and plus they are light. Not the warmest deer hunting but like the others I got a pair of Irish Setters 2000 gram and warm, dry and comfortable but not a Rabbit hunting or judging boot in my opinion. To heavy and bulky
RICE'S BEAGLES
Jeremy, Amy
Zack,Ashlee Rice

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I just wear a pair of $20.00 rubber boots. They last about a year, but at least they keep my feet dry. I'm about due for a new pair. These have a couple of small cracks. The expensive ones always seem to leak.

Larry
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

big w beagles
Like yourself I've worn many pairs of the Rocky boots and have always had good luck with them but also found that the "water proof" only was good for the first year.
Here in Tn. I only want an uninsulated boot or only 200-400 grams insulation at most.
Went looking for a new pair of boots a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed to find that all the Rockys I looked at the soles are all glued on [ not stitched ].I just don't trust a boot with glued on soles.
Bought a pair of Carolina Loggers which look very rugged with an aggressive sole [ stitched ] and waterproof.Have worn them half a dozen times now while running the dogs and like them.A little on the heavy side compared to the Rockys.
Wore Lacrosse Alpha Hikers for many years for coon and rabbit hunting when I needed a rubber boot but the last pair I had didn't hold up well at all like in the past.Have a pair of Muck Waterfowl boots now that I like.
Also have a pair of L.L.Bean Hunting boots in 12".They are light as a feather and nice.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Not leather but I never had leather that can hold up so I been wearing Cabela's Full Draw either non insulated or the 200 gram insulated. I wear these in winter and they don't leak for bout 2 to 3 seasons. Then I rewater proof with silcon spray and get another yr out of them . The spring and summer I wear my LL Bean 12 " non insulated they will seem like forever if taken care of by using mink oil or saddle soap and the silcon spray . The Bean's I have now are 10 yr old and the leather is good but the soles are bout gone .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

2barrel

Post by 2barrel »

Danner's are a great choice if you buy the American made version. You'll know you're buy them because they're starting price is $200+ per pair. The Danner's made in foreign country's are always on sale for $90. You get what you pay for in Danner boots. The American made boots also comes with a warranty which the company will back-up in my experience. The first time my son told me he spend $350 on a pair of boots my heart skipped a beat, but now I know why. Wet feet is not my cup of tea. Buy American

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Not sure of the Red Wing model, I've always known them as Irish Setter's. They come uninsulated, 600,and 1000 grams of thinsulate. My first pair of 600 gram lasted me 7 years and I wore them every day while working outside. The leather is still fine but the soles are worn out. I just replaced them with the 1000 gram as I am up in the air in a bucket truck a lot during the winter months and the extra insulation helps.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

My lacrosse rubber boots has fallen apart too quickly for me, so I will be trying Irish Setters.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

big creek kennel

Post by big creek kennel »

Cabelas upland pro