The Wait is Over

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

roughtimber

The Wait is Over

Post by roughtimber »

Garmin released the new garmin tt15 mini and t5 mini this morning. Here's some links to some of the information about them.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/07/prweb12864751.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB3VM_G3Nzw

Mo. Beagler 5000

Re: The Wait is Over

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

The fact that Double U tested out the units and found they have the EXACT SAME range on them,makes me happy.

It also makes sense because they are still using the GLOSSNASS system and even though the battery is smaller the power output signal to the receiver is the exact same also. I am betting Garmin didn't want to come out and say, "Hey guys, these minis are better in every single way except battery life" because lets face it, not many of us hunt for 15 to 16 hours without breaks so that time frame is plenty and if you get into a bind you can do rescue mode anyhow. \

SUPER STOKED TO GET MY HANDS ON A SET.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

Steve's review on GUN DOGS says that do not have the same range. I want one but not sure since we sometimes have to break pups off deer and might need the range. Same or not?

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

Rowco Beagle Kennels wrote:Steve's review on GUN DOGS says that do not have the same range. I want one but not sure since we sometimes have to break pups off deer and might need the range. Same or not?

Steve seems to be going off the manufactures specs and not field tested from what I am reading.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Found this review from another post...just a copy n paste

There is a definite trade off with going to the smaller collar in both departments. The battery life of the new Mini collars is an estimated 16-30hrs depending on the selected update rate. That’s a little less than the standard collars that were 20-40hrs. Range has also been effected in the downsizing. With an estimated range of 4 miles. That’s about half the range of a standard collar. We all want the best of both worlds but unfortunately it didn’t quite happen this time. I haven’t yet had the opportunity to put an aftermarket antenna on one to see if that changes the range.
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

JUDE wrote:Found this review from another post...just a copy n paste

There is a definite trade off with going to the smaller collar in both departments. The battery life of the new Mini collars is an estimated 16-30hrs depending on the selected update rate. That’s a little less than the standard collars that were 20-40hrs. Range has also been effected in the downsizing. With an estimated range of 4 miles. That’s about half the range of a standard collar. We all want the best of both worlds but unfortunately it didn’t quite happen this time. I haven’t yet had the opportunity to put an aftermarket antenna on one to see if that changes the range.
I read this one too, to me it doesn't even sound like this guy tested it. He just put on paper what was in the manufacturers spec sheet. I agree, if the guys at Double U tested against their current collars, that's as good as it gets. I may pick one up to try with my 320 just to be sure before I go all in on a new system.

plottwalker

Post by plottwalker »

this is and has been tested by dusupply for months now, by them, and by beaglers, dusupply has watched these collars in action on rabbit dogs in person. they do more homework then most companies on the products they test/sell

just take a look for yourself...

http://www.dusupply.com/garmin-tt15-mini.html

Brian

Buckeye Bob

Post by Buckeye Bob »

Sweet, I was waiting until this happened to get a tracking system

Budd

Post by Budd »

I have a lot of hours logged on these collars already and can tell you with confidence that you will get as much range out of the Mini's as you will the full sized TT10's and 15's.
Here is another one of Double U's reviews, mine is at the bottom of his page. I strongly recommend Double-U Hound Supply when ordering, they go above and beyond to help their customers.
http://www.dusupply.com/garmin-mini-collars-review

gunner

Post by gunner »

So if you have the full size alpha then all you need to buy is mini collars ?
"HONEST HOUND OWNERS MAKE HONEST HOUNDS"
Ben Riggs 270-766-9417

Budd

Post by Budd »

Correct, they can also be tracked by a Astro 320.

OKIEDOG

Post by OKIEDOG »

We also tested the collars. We run every day but Sunday. In the field right now with a pack of beagles. I am just posting under this thread to answer some questions.

Range: at OKIE DOG SUPPLY we are NOT getting the same range as the bigger collars. Right now, we average 2.5 to 3.1 miles. We are in NE Oklahoma with rolling hills and because of all the rain, we have an explosion of undergrowth so it's thick and gnarly out in the woods. Check out the website. You will see pics of our dogs wearing the units. Main website: http://www.okiedogsupply.com. Another link is: http://www.okiedogsupply.com/Garmin-Alp ... 486-30.htm

I would realistically expect 2 miles and anything over is bonus (in my opinion). Range is based on line of sight. The minis maximum range is 4 miles, the max range on the standard (big) dog device is 9 miles. For your area and your cover, you may get the max range or range around 2 miles. I was on the backside of a hill (technically blocking line of sight) and that was at 2 miles, then we were able to get another tenth of a mile before we lost the collar. We thought that was pretty great!

Battery life specs say 16-30. But, we are getting between 13-15 hours of battery life. Depends on if we're using lights, update rate, etc... Your personal settings and use determine the battery life as much as having a good charge on the unit. Every day running like what we are doing right now, no lights, update rate at 2.5 seconds, we can expect closer to 14-16 hours battery life.

You don't have to purchase bundles if you have an Astro 320 (320 only) or Alpha handheld. You can just add a mini. My personal collection on my Alpha is several minis, a standard TT 15, a T 5, and a TT 10. On my Astro I have a DC 50 and a T 5 and two minis. Minis won't ship to dealers for another few weeks, but, pre-ordering is recommended to get on the list for the first wave of product.

The minis are well worth the purchase for those of us using small hounds.

Mike Franklin

Tuff-E-Nuff

Post by Tuff-E-Nuff »

OKIEDOG wrote:We also tested the collars. We run every day but Sunday. In the field right now with a pack of beagles. I am just posting under this thread to answer some questions.

Range: at OKIE DOG SUPPLY we are NOT getting the same range as the bigger collars. Right now, we average 2.5 to 3.1 miles. We are in NE Oklahoma with rolling hills and because of all the rain, we have an explosion of undergrowth so it's thick and gnarly out in the woods. Check out the website. You will see pics of our dogs wearing the units. Main website: http://www.okiedogsupply.com. Another link is: http://www.okiedogsupply.com/Garmin-Alp ... 486-30.htm

I would realistically expect 2 miles and anything over is bonus (in my opinion). Range is based on line of sight. The minis maximum range is 4 miles, the max range on the standard (big) dog device is 9 miles. For your area and your cover, you may get the max range or range around 2 miles. I was on the backside of a hill (technically blocking line of sight) and that was at 2 miles, then we were able to get another tenth of a mile before we lost the collar. We thought that was pretty great!

Battery life specs say 16-30. But, we are getting between 13-15 hours of battery life. Depends on if we're using lights, update rate, etc... Your personal settings and use determine the battery life as much as having a good charge on the unit. Every day running like what we are doing right now, no lights, update rate at 2.5 seconds, we can expect closer to 14-16 hours battery life.

You don't have to purchase bundles if you have an Astro 320 (320 only) or Alpha handheld. You can just add a mini. My personal collection on my Alpha is several minis, a standard TT 15, a T 5, and a TT 10. On my Astro I have a DC 50 and a T 5 and two minis. Minis won't ship to dealers for another few weeks, but, pre-ordering is recommended to get on the list for the first wave of product.

The minis are well worth the purchase for those of us using small hounds.

Mike Franklin
Thanks Mike for the review, I figure if Garmin said range was reduced then it will be, we hunt in the steep mountains of eastern TN and sometime Range is an issue, not as much on our Beagles but Coon & Sq hunting our Curs is a different story. I have ordered a couple mini's but also keeping one of my full size TT15 just for this reason.
Tuff-E-Nuff Beagles
Silas/Tracy Damron
FCLP Salem's Willy Nelson
GR R.CH Tuff-E-Nuff Annie
HOF Gr.RCh/GrB.Ch Tuff-E-Nuff Charm
Harrogate. TN.

Budd

Post by Budd »

Comparing the tracking distance against the TT10’s shows me that basically these mini collars are every bit as good as the full size TT10 collars. I was surprised to see just as much range out of the T 5 Mini collar and the TT 15 Mini collar as I get with my TT10 collars. I did a line of sight test across a small lake here at my house where I was able to get 2.97 miles of open space between me and the collars. I observed that I was able to keep full GPS and full communication until they went into the dense brush on the other side of the lake. I finally lost GPS with collars at 5.90 miles. In the actual hunting conditions in the field I never lost the T5 Mini or the TT15 Mini collars any more or less than I did with the TT10 collars and always picked them back up quickly after a lost signal alert.
I am glad to see Garmin is now advertising a more realistic Range on their units, they rate 9 miles on the standard TT units and we all know in real hunting situations that's not happening, so when they told me 4 miles on the Mini series I was a little worried but what I found is the Mini's have every bit as much range as the full sized TT units.
http://www.dusupply.com/garmin-alpha-10 ... combo.html
And another reason to buy from Double-U Hound Supply is their loner program, I have used this service more then once and received loner units OVERNIGHT while on hunting trips out of state.
http://www.dusupply.com/garmin-loan-program-dusupply

Budd

Post by Budd »

13in. Spade
12 3/4in Dorie
13 3/4 Crash
14 1/4 Busted