Poor mans sport just got poorer

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sbadger

Poor mans sport just got poorer

Post by sbadger »

Daughter ask me if I would pay for her beagle running license during summer unreal
Attachments
300x300(338).jpg
300x300(338).jpg (24.91 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

mud

Re: Poor mans sport just got poorer

Post by mud »

Very pretty girl. I am sure u already no its just getting started. Car college wedding. I no from experience. I just wish a hunting license was all I had to worry about when my girl was that age. lol....The best thing is u will get to spend some extra time with her lucky u.It goes by all to fast it seems. I no u will enjoy every min. of it.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Shes a LPN Now she took the course from the hospital and had been working there awhile shes got 1 year and she will have her RN,
now you can t keep the boys away

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

When did they slide this law in that you had to have a hunting License to run your dogs during the summer month here in Indiana

warddog

Post by warddog »

I'm not so sure they slid this law in but rather people began to understand that the law actually mandated a hunting license when pursuing game animals. People learned after they started getting stopped and checked while running dogs. Many were of the opinion that running dogs out of a regular hunting season was not actually hunting but I think the legal definition of hunting is: to chase, catch or take wild birds or animals. This means that doing any one of those three specific things mandate a license whether actually taking them or not. I found this law to be the same in many states when I coon hunted in competition hunts and found out that those in the hunt didn't need a hunting license BUT if they ran the nights prior outside of the sanctioned hunt they needed a license. Many have also found out about the trespassing law over the past years and some still do not understand or believe it but when faced with the situation they will find out. I'm thinking many of these laws were just not pushed as they are today with so many anti's and nosey people. When I was a kid they were never pushed as nearly every family had hunters in it even those of us who lived in the city at that time.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Its always been in the laws for running coon dogs and I can under stand that a buddy of myn got 150 coons here in Cayuga,IN last year and when he sold them he got a a really good paycheck but running beagles there is no money to be made you can t sale rabbits and I only shoot one a year if even that because its hard to find a good patch of them,they just put the law in this year so guys that run there dogs for pleasure ,looks to me its a way to get more money out of us,now if they would use part of that money and turn rabbits loose every year than I would go for that ,my Dad said years ago that the DNR would put rabbits and birds on farmers propertys and they would pay them for doing it but after so many years they would have to lit a few hunters in to hunt the ground,I see a lot of guys saling redbacks,sandwan and smokey mountain cotton tail rabbits on here ,I think they should buy them up and turn them loose in all countys ,like they do bobcats and turkeys hear in Vermillion county Indiana I live 8 miles from the army ammunition plant which is shut down they had the Nerve gas there but its gone its full of rabbits ,7000 acres and all kinds of birds ,so instend of letting Vermillion county hunters in after living around this deadly nerve gas for years they are leasing the ground to big money shows for Deer hunting,and big money people and these bucks coming out of there are some of the massive bucks you have every seen 30 pointers and bigger ,all of the 7000 acre ground is surrounded by a 12 foot high razer blade wire on top, buddy shot one out side the fence 500 pound buck his neck was 4 1/2 long and as big as round as a beach ball all about money ,theres 75 miles of blacktop road in there

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

That nerve gas must have made those deer genetic freaks to grow as big as you claim, never heard of a deer that big (500lbs). I hope you were being sarcastic about the size of the buck your friend shot. Hope the nerve gas hasn't gotten to you. If the rabbits grow like you claim the bucks do you better get a bigger dog if you want to run in there. Maybe the razor wire fence is to protect the public from freak wildlife. Enough of my attempt at humor. Anyway, I think state to state the laws varies on if you need a hunting license to run out of hunting season, but finding a way to make you give more money to the state definitely doesn't vary, it's what the politicians want no matter what state you're in.
Last edited by SNOWDOGS1 on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warddog

Post by warddog »

It's always been the law in Indiana for pursuing any game animal as that in and of itself is the definition of hunting in Indiana. Regardless of whether YOU are taking or your dogs are pursuing to take YOU are hunting when turning your dogs loose to pursue game. There are A LOT of folks that have made assumptions over the years that have gotten a rude awakening in the past recent years as the people opposed to hunting and even chasing game with dogs turn them in more than ever. If you deer hunt and shoot one that runs onto one of those people's property and they will NOT allow you to go on their property to fetch it then call a game Warden and see what they can do for you. NOTHING if the land owner says NO.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Its true about the 500 lb buck no one has hunted there since the plant was open.but when it was open for 5 years they would llit people who was drawed for a tag hunt on S-S week in you should have seen the bucks taken out of there ,these deer were tame ,they would walk right up to you and the coons were very big , but a lot of the deer was in breed seen one that looked like it had a dogs face

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

sbadger wrote:Daughter ask me if I would pay for her beagle running license during summer unreal
Can't take that cash to the grave have fun running :D
TheJohnBirchSociety

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

I stand corrected then. I looked it up and found that there have been a couple of whitetails that had estimated live weights of just over 500lbs., very few. That's incredible! If you kill one half that weight near me it is considered a monster. They kill a few further north 300lbs every now and then and that is a hog. I can't imagine 500. Hope the truck or 4 wheeler is real close or you would have to bone him and pack him out unless you have help, even then a chore. Anyway, keep them hounds runnin'.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I worked at one of the biggest deer processors in southwest Indiana and have seen a lot of deer come in from Illinois to be processed and they make our Indiana deer look like runts because of the tight closed season in Illinois Many of these came from guided hunts on managed property in Illinois and I have never seen one weigh even close to 500 pounds. I will however say that there is a vast difference in size by merely crossing the Wabash river onto the Illinois side and I suspect that is because their hunting season is but a few days in lieu of weeks and months here in Indiana with ALL the different means of harvesting them. I would have thought a deer that big would have made the papers along the entire western part of the state.

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

At the army ammunition it has 7000 acres with 12 ft fence with razer blade wire the guards would drive around every 2 hours any thing shot inside the fence could never be turned in as a record they had all kind of rules you had to abide by some guys were shotting bucks and walk up on another bigger and shoot it and theve the smaller so they put a stop to that if you were caught ,there were Game warden there until the hunt was over,if you were caught inside the fence you got one warning to stop if you didn t they had order to shoot to kill ,people did sneak in before they let people hunt in there they would pull the bottom of the fence up and slide under if they got a deer they would bring it to the black top road and flip it over and then drag it across the road so it didn t leave mud on the road ,and then pull it under the fence ,the antlers was the hardest ,most people like me would never take a deer to the butcher we do are own cut all the fat off and the skin so its not tuff or have a wild tast no fat at all then freeze ever thing in big chunks so if it gets a little freezer burnt you can cut it of learn from a old butcher years ago now about the 500 lb buck he did weigh that my buddy had him in his pole barn to him up with a chain fall as high as he could go in the pole barn and part of his neck and head was still on the ground it was really something to see but his antlers were bad looking ,looked like my drawing stick built straight up hes in jail now but if I can find a pic and will put it on here,guy I know shot a massive 14 pointer standing next to the fence ,if you have the time its not during the deer season come up and see the deer taken out of there

bmgreen91

Post by bmgreen91 »

Sir

If you are having problems buying her a license she is more than welcome to come to michigan anytime to hunt with me. I'd be more than happy to pay for her license and dinner.
Brian Green

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Shes single but busy with getting her RN and working at the Hospital as a LPN ,Right know we have it ruff I haven t worked since Oct 2012 been trying to get SSDI have 22 thing wrong with me wife has SSDI and that's what we are living off of .