Garmin, Whats your take?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

DIXIEDOG

Re: Garmin, Whats your take?

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I bought the Alpha when they first came out.....been using it every since. I'm not sure how many hours I've put on this unit but with exception of breaking one collar with a brush buster dog that tended to crash through or over everything in the woods to get the rabbit (exactly how I like it) there haven't been any issues. I got a heavily discounted replacement through Garmin and have been happily chugging along. i can't really think of a whole lot I'd change about them, they work great and for my dogs size hasn't been an issue. I have two 13's and two 15's and the TT15's fit them all well.

Budd

Post by Budd »

DIXIEDOG wrote:I bought the Alpha when they first came out.....been using it every since. I'm not sure how many hours I've put on this unit but with exception of breaking one collar with a brush buster dog that tended to crash through or over everything in the woods to get the rabbit (exactly how I like it) there haven't been any issues. I got a heavily discounted replacement through Garmin and have been happily chugging along. i can't really think of a whole lot I'd change about them, they work great and for my dogs size hasn't been an issue. I have two 13's and two 15's and the TT15's fit them all well.
For me there was never a issue with bashing knees on the heads up flying dogs, it was always on the head down, chop mouth dogs. Could be wrong but just from what I'm seeing.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Budd wrote:
DIXIEDOG wrote:I bought the Alpha when they first came out.....been using it every since. I'm not sure how many hours I've put on this unit but with exception of breaking one collar with a brush buster dog that tended to crash through or over everything in the woods to get the rabbit (exactly how I like it) there haven't been any issues. I got a heavily discounted replacement through Garmin and have been happily chugging along. i can't really think of a whole lot I'd change about them, they work great and for my dogs size hasn't been an issue. I have two 13's and two 15's and the TT15's fit them all well.
For me there was never a issue with bashing knees on the heads up flying dogs, it was always on the head down, chop mouth dogs. Could be wrong but just from what I'm seeing.
X2

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Swampman wrote:
Budd wrote:
X2
I too have seen bigger dogs with a heads down style even bump the DC40s...
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

Johnny and I went hunting this morning. I tried the new Alpha mini (I only have 2, a TT-15 and a TT-5). I was concerned about distance. I road off with the handheld to see how far I could track them. With the handheld in the truck I kept track for 2.25 miles through tall timber. Our dogs just don't get a chance to go that far without attention. Satisfied with that part. Will learn more as time goes along but they sure fit our beagles better. Bobby

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Tried my new TT15 Mini's today. Was very pleased with them! No issues at all and sure looks like it must have been much more comfortable for the dogs.