Dog cramping up ?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

hignite1

Dog cramping up ?

Post by hignite1 »

Ive got a young female that I really like that cramps up in the back end after running . She doesnt do it all the time but she has done it a couple times lately. My question is what can you do for it ive considered it being from the heat and maybe a lack of potassium . Has anyone ever had this happen if so what did you do .Thanks

big w beagles

Re: Dog cramping up ?

Post by big w beagles »

As a retired football coach, I treat my beagles about the same way I would treat players on a hot, humid day. I make sure the dogs get plenty of water and shorten the practice. Sometimes water and a shade break will be enough to get a little more out of the dogs. Also, I would not run the dogs in the heat of the day.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Make sure she is not having a siezure. Or low blood suger. Had a male that would spasem up and look like he was having a cramp but was actually having siezures....dh

IndianMeadowBeagles

Post by IndianMeadowBeagles »

I agree with Dh!!! Have some blood work done on her, and have her spine checked out. If all checks out well; get some Go Dog bt K-9 Power. It's like a Sports drink; great stuff!!!!! JMO!!
" HE WHO RUNS WITH BEAGLES SHALL ENJOY THE HUNT "
indianmeadows@yahoo.com
http://www.indianmeadowbeagles.com
219-712-8769

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Have her checked for lyme disease.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Add a little Apple Cider Vinegar, the one with the Mother in it to the drinking water. Might help, can't hurt.
WE drink it ourselves as a preventative of many bad things.
Give it in drinking water to all animals including chickens.