Help save dog training ground

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tdog

Help save dog training ground

Post by tdog »

Please go to this link an leave comments for the ODNR. If you are from a different state it may help even more.

Here is the rule change for Ohio.
1501:31-9-05 Training Dogs (Effective March 1, 2016)
It is proposed to amend this rule by adding the month of April to the time when the training, exercising or working dogs on wildlife areas and public hunting areas is prohibited, unless approved by the Chief. The period closed to dog training will be from April 1st to August 31st, annually. This will provide additional protection for ground-nesting birds and reduce conflicts during the spring wild turkey season. The rule will be clarified to allow for the use of dogs in conjunction with legal hunting on these areas.

Here is the link for official comment.
They closed the first comment site so go to the second one.
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/stay-inform ... csi-review
https://www.facebook.com/ohiodnr

Thanks for your support.
Last edited by tdog on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom summers

Re: Help save dog training ground

Post by tom summers »

Here is something I have been thinking about that they may (ODNR) may understand. I would have all the clubs and houndsmen call and make it clear to them the loss of revenue to the state and small towns. They may not realize the amount of monies that are spent by houndsmen when the travel from other areas and out of state? Most states dnr tend to do what they want regarding these issues until you start mentioning loss of money spent within the state especially small businesses resturants, motels and others. It may even be worth while getting them involved as well . Just some thoughts trying to help the cause.
Tom Summers

tdog

Post by tdog »

Tom,
I agree with you. That is exactly why it is important to have people from other states post a comment as well. These comments should be read by many people at ODNR before the vote takes place. We should probably slip some in on how to improve the current dog training areas.

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

I posted message on the site, please support ohio houndsmen and do the same.
Tom

RDN61

Post by RDN61 »

Well I posted a message, but don't have a lot of faith in it. They usually do what they want.

steve w

Post by steve w »

Comment posted, hope you guys don't loose a month, we're closed here 4/16 till 7/8 and that's plenty. I can't understand why more people don't get fired up about subjects like this, squeaky wheels get greased.If you don't let em' know what YOU want the only thing they can do is what they want.Anybody from everywhere should comment because it may be your state next.

tdog

Post by tdog »

Thanks too everyone for leaving comments. You are right Steve if we leave enough comments the message will be heard. The turkey hunters made their comments and we must make a bigger stand than them to prevail. I think the our of state comments will carry a lot of weight when it comes to a decision. Please keep commenting and maybe we can improve things. I would like to see bigger dog training areas with no hunting. Also away from main highways to make them safer..

FRENCHMAN

Post by FRENCHMAN »

This rule will have a negative effect on all hunting sooner or later! These Sportsman that are trying to take care of their Sport, will need these same sporting dog owners that they are trying to take dog training and field trialing away from! Will be challenged by the animal rights groups to take their hunting sport away from them sooner or later also! We all need to stick together as it will take all of us to save our hunting heritage! Getting along is the only strong course, to stick too! Contact AKC,UKC, Protect The Harvest and the best for all, especially Ohio Sportsman is to contact Adam Wright at Us Sportsman's Alliance right in Columbus, Ohio! He handles all of the Dog Legislation for Us Sportsman's Alliance! ( USSA) Anyone on this Board can help by contacting Adam Wright, if you can't speak to him directly, then leave a voice mail, your name mentioning the rule no. at the top of the page! Get to your Legislators that are sportsman friendly and ask them to use their influence! We did this exact same thing in Indiana, years back and defeated it! Also the most important, take the time to attend this meeting they will have on it when they are voting, you will be able to speak then! They need to see they are moving in the wrong direction, remind them who pays the bills, Sportsman do, believe me the antis will be there to take it away! Every one that goes will in some way have to be willing to sacrifice something! Once it's gone it will be very, very hard to ever get it back! Field Trialing and Hunting is very important to the economy to the state of OHIO, let alone to the Heritage of Ohio! Thanks to Trevor for taking the time to alert the Sportsmen of Ohio to this tragedy! Frenchman

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

When is the vote? Time? Place? Date?

randy hicks

Post by randy hicks »

pretty sure the vote was this eve 9/9/

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

Any results of the vote?

tdog

Post by tdog »

They closed the first comment site so I added a site.

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

It would be nice if the state would throw the small game hunters a bone once in a while.