Branko Jack or Ali Baba?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BB Beagles

Branko Jack or Ali Baba?

Post by BB Beagles »

Who has any hounds or pups with heavy Branko Jack of all trades or Brankos Ali baba in there ped. Like to be up close as possible. Thanks
BONE BOX BEAGLES

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Branko Jack or Ali Baba?

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey Josh
Don't know who may have pups bred that way..... But, a direction you might look in would be dogs sired by Beavercreek's Blue Max.Max is sired by Maravic's Blue Barry who was out of Ninja who was out of Jack of all Trades and Branko's Silvertone Belle who was Ali-Baba's littermate sister.
Max's dam is Maravic's Blue Bayeau who was sired by Ali-Baba and her dam was Maravic's Blue Moon out of Ninja who was out of Jack.
Dogs out of either Max or Blue Barry,depending on the dams they were bred to would give you that concentration of Jack and Ali-Baba you are looking for.
Mark Trudell in N.Y. could probably give you more info. on dogs bred this way as anyone.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Pentecostalkennels

Post by Pentecostalkennels »

I could be wrong but I think the closest dogs alive to jack of all trades would be the sons of lumber jack that are still around. Branko has a couple listed on his website. Mr Bo jangles and lumbers last dance. Also saw one on here named lumbermatt directly off of lumberjack. That's the closest I've seen.
Jonathan Gheen
Pentecostal Kennels

haderondah

Post by haderondah »

Have a very good young male directly from branko that fits your bill. He is out of brankos lumbers last dance and brankos caramel. Loaded with close up jack and ali baba. He has had one litter that turned out very well. The young male i kept from him is doing great. He was a young derby this year and did well in the two derbies he was in. Took a 4th out of 14 at pioneer, and a 1st out of 18 at java.
Home of
Hazzards bawling bindy
Brankos stormy hill
Haderondah puppy tuppy
Haderondah mad jilly
Haderondah mystic blue

mjd

Post by mjd »

Ive got great granddaughter out of jack of all trades

J.C. Blair

Post by J.C. Blair »

My cousin down in pike county still has a direct son to Ali-Baba named Rider, who was a littermate brother to my Boggey male. He is way up there in age, 13 years old
EAST RIDGE KENNEL
2010 Natl CH LPGRCH East Ridge Black Phantom
East Ridge The Dark Side
Weedeater Foxy
East Ridge Allie Gator
East Ridge Tomahawk

Shady Grove Beagles

I forgot to mention Branko's Spotty Beast.He is linebred Lumberjack and Ali-Baba.A good looking and well put-up hound from his pic.and from the comments that many have posted it would appear that he is reproducing some good quality pups.

transman63

Post by transman63 »

FC bad Moe Foe' is line bread jack. top and bottom. back some.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

ray s

Post by ray s »

-----------------------------------------------IFC Brankos Heli Prop
---------Sire------------------FC Brankos Propper Baron
---------------------------------------------------Brankos Magic Dutchess ( sired by Ali- Baba )

FC Hall's Boomer By Baron

---------------------------------------------------FC Brankos Ali- Baba
--------Dam----------------Tommy's Little Ann II
---------------------------------------------------Kingwood Hope (sired by White Blizard , grandsire Adirondack Bobby)

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

I do. Three male pups - 2 1/2 weeks old. Sire is out of FC Buckeye Ninja Blue Boy (Blue Ninja x Copper Boy) x Blueberry Knoll Bessie (Ali-Baba) Dam is out of FC Valley's Freckled Bandit - who is Ali-Baba - Heli Prop bred. X another shot of FC Buckeye Ninja Blue Boy bred to a FC Branko's Cougar Magnum x Ali-Baba Bitch. If you can find more Jack and Ali-Baba up close, buy um....

Shady Grove Beagles

Slaux
Boy do I like the way those pups of yours are bred.If I'm not mistaken aren't you up in Michigan? A long ways from here in Tn. I believe I remember you being an owner of Blue Boy at one point.I always wondered how he produced and if there were ever many dogs out of him out there and how they turned out.
Hopefully you'll end up selling one of those males to somebody down this way and he'll turn out to be a corker and be available as a stud to one of my line bred Ninja bitches some day.
I believe Blue Boy was one if not the last living Ninja male out there when he passed.
I talked with a fellow in Ohio years back that had a male out of Blue Boy named Lightfoot that he thought a lot of but unfortunately when I talked with him the dog was quite old and he had never bred anything to him.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Shady Grove, I had Blue Boy the last few years of his life. He was almost fifteen when he died, still fertile and willing to run the day he was put down. I had nothing to do with what he was, but gave him a good life at the end. He sure was a wonderful dog. Very overlooked in my opinion. He wasn't bred very much and was passed around a lot for some reason. I have no idea why, he was one of the best, toughest, most gentlemanly dogs ever to grace my kennel. He was only bred about four times up here. All of his pups were very good to above average hounds. Very few of them went to trialers. I finished one a couple of years ago out of him. She is just like her daddy. Tough as nails, line runner, doesn't care what the rest of the pack is doing kind of dog. To my knowledge she is the only AKC dog finished out of him, and one of the few to ever be trialed.

Blue Boy or Bluebarry were the two last remaining pups from Ninja. It's too bad Blue Boy wasn't bred more. I think he had a lot to offer the breed. I was on a mission to infuse some Ninja Blood in my kennel about ten years ago and was lucky enough to add Blue Boy into my lines. The Sire of these pups (Chance) is very much like his Sire and would probably have finished had he been trialed. He is probably one of the best built dogs I've had and has a much nicer head (Ali-Baba style) than Blue Boy. He's probably the smartest dog I've ever had in the kennel and has many "human like" qualities. Always looking to add to my line. If I ever get down your way I'll look you up. Yours in sport, Steve

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

Not having seen either personally, I can only give an opinion on what I have seen with them close, relatively close or on both sides of the pedigrees. And I know the bitch sides of these hounds could be a big contributing factor in the style of these hounds, although from what I have seen the styles seem pretty consistent out of both Jack and Ali Baba bred dogs. Again, these are just the ones I have seen which don't add up to a whole lot, but enough I think to formulate an opinion. The dogs with Jack in their pedigrees seem to be harder hitting, a bit faster and flashier hounds. The Ali Baba bred dogs seem to be more blue collar check type hounds. Personally I like a harder hitting hound. One male I had with Ali Baba in him, along with some Shaker and Ninja was the best check hound I ever owned. Was this all from the Ali Baba in his pedigree? Who knows for sure, but he saved many a run in the past for me and I have seen similar style in some other Ali Baba dogs. I bred him to a bitch with double Lumberjack and double Ali Baba and have a young bitch now out of that which is showing me good potential. Nice nose, pretty tight check and line, but not real fast. I think she leans more toward the Ali Baba style. As far as a producer, Jack was the man in that department. It's amazing to see how many FC hounds have Jack in their pedigrees. I have had a few either out of Lumberjack or with him close and have been very pleased with most of them. Foot and drive was dominant in them, but they had pretty good control also. I think if you had to choose it would be Jack, but I don't think you could go wrong with either. If you look at many of the hounds Branko currently has, both are in their pedigrees. He obviously feels that both could contribute in making a hound with the style he likes and no one knows these dogs better than him. JMHO. Larry Wilson in NY has a few out of Lumberjack or with him up pretty close. Not sure how close any of his hounds have Ali Baba, but I'm sure he has some with him in there also.
Last edited by SNOWDOGS1 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

transman63

Post by transman63 »

vary well put Jeff !!. and I agree.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

Shady Grove Beagles

On this subject i thought I would post something I pulled off the internet 10 years ago quote"It would be hard to say which line,Jack or Ali-Baba has produced the best dogs,but both have been in the foundation of Branko's kennel.
With Jack you seemed to get level headed and smooth running dogs and with Ali-Baba you got grit,heart and enough desire for three dogs.Obviously when they were crossed someone usually hit pay dirt.Both lived long lives and continued to run well up in to their teens. But what really separated them from the competition was that they could get it done in SPO and Large Pack.
Personally I'm an Ali-Baba fan.It's that "I'll keel over dead before I quit" mentality that I appreciate so much".

Another quote from ten years ago"I watched Ali-Baba run four times at Branko's and he was a super hound.He had the best sprung ribs I've ever seen on a hound.Once I remember he was 12-13 years old and after running all day,Marko,Branko's son had to run Ali-Baba down to catch him.He was running very good for his age".

Another quote from ten years ago .This one from Terry McBride."Branko sent Jack to me when he was 7 tears old [nearly 8 ].It was the first time he had ever been trialed [ to my knowledge ].I got him and his son, Heli-Prop [ 16 months old ] off the plane on a Thursday and entered them in their first Large Pack trial that Sunday.
Prop won it and Jack was second.I had them both for an entire winter and ran them on hare in the open. Jack was past his prime by then, but was still a hard hunting hound.He was clean with his mouth and had a super nose [ better than Prop's ]. He was an excellent snow hound,as he stuck closely to the line and worked checks the way a hound should.Prop was far too quick for Jack at this stage,but I'd have loved to see them both as 3 year olds.Branko had told me before I got Jack "that Jack produced better hounds than he himself was", and how many hounds can you say that about? All in all,a great hound,and a producer beyond compare".

One last quote I'll share is one made by a friend who in 1999 went up to Branko's and spent a week gun hunting and running dogs with him "We ran dogs all day every day and I got to see all the champions run that Branko had in his kennel.Without a doubt,Lumberjack was the FASTEST LINE RUNNING dog I've ever seen".

Personally I haven't had much experience with any close bred Ali-Baba dogs.My preferance has always been to Jack's blood through Maravic's Blue Ninja, Branko's Conna, Branko's Heli-Prop,Maravic's Blue Barry,Beaver Creek's Blue Max,Greenwell's Reggie and Statin's Blue Samurai.
The consistency of traits;appearance,performance,brains,ability,etc.seen in 3,4 and even in to the 5'th generation continue to make me a believer.
As always....JMHO.