Indiana Dog Owners Fair Chase, Shelley Reeves

This is a good place to inform fellow hunters about bills and other legislation that may jeopardize our rights to hunt and free cast our hounds.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sbadger

Indiana Dog Owners Fair Chase, Shelley Reeves

Post by sbadger »

Dear Mr Badger Thank You for Taking the time to contact the office of Governor Mitch Daniels.He has shared your e-mail with me and asked that I respond on his behalf,I appreciate opportunity to adrress your concerns.

At the March 16 meeting,the Natural Resource Commission {NCR} adopted the recooendation from the DNR to "prohibit the chasing and killing {which would include hunting} of foxes and coyotes inside a confined area." There is nothing in the recommendation that address traditional field trials or dog training facilities of another type,including game bird hinting preserves that are licensed by the DNR. Dogs will still be allowed to chase and hunt coyotes, foxes, raccoons, rabbits, and squirrels in the wild in the State of Indiana, and the DNR will continue to issue field trial permits for sanctioned event s for chasing raccoons and other species in the wild in Indiana.

The NRC action, which was unanimous, did not establish a rule (regulation) but did set in motion the process to create a rule. It is a process that can take as long as eighteen months to complete. If the NRC drafts a rule, it will go out on a "second notice" to invite public comment on what it intends to regulate and how. Until then, any written comments, phone calls or other responses are not considered part of the public record. If the NRC gives perliminary adoption to the proposed rule, the official public comment period begins and at least one public hearing will follow.

After the public comment period ends, the rule will go back to the NRC to consider for final adoption, which is not expectd to take place until late this year or early next year.

Again,thank you for writing , and thank you for your active citizenship.

Sincerely,

Shelley Reeves
Governor's Liaison for the Department of Natural Resources
Kettle Creek Kennel in Memory of Paige Nicole Badger 11/27/93 to 11/7/10

Farmerwells

Re: Indiana Dog Owners Fair Chase, Shelley Reeves

Post by Farmerwells »

here's a letter I got from them also as you can see its a copy of yours

Dear Mr. Wells,

Thank you for taking the time to contact the office of Governor Mitch Daniels. He has shared your e-mail with me and asked that I respond on his behalf. I appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns.

At the March 16 meeting, the Natural Resource Commission (NRC) adopted the recommendation from the DNR to "prohibit the chasing and killing (which would include hunting) of foxes and coyotes inside a confined area." There is nothing in the recommendation that addresses traditional field trials or dog training facilities of another type, including game bird hunting preserves that are licensed by the DNR. Dogs will still be allowed to chase and hunt coyotes, foxes, raccoons, rabbits, and squirrels in the wild in the State of Indiana, and the DNR will continue to issue field trial permits for sanctioned events for chasing raccoons and other species in the wild in Indiana.

The NRC action, which was unanimous, did not establish a rule (regulation) but did set in motion the process to create a rule. It is a process that can take as long as eighteen months to complete. If the NRC drafts a rule, it will go out on "second notice" to invite public comment on what it intends to regulate and how. Until then, any written comments, phone calls or other responses are not considered part of the public record. If the NRC gives preliminary adoption to the proposed rule, the official public comment period begins and at least one public hearing will follow.

After the public comment period ends, the rule will go back to the NRC to consider for final adoption, which is not expected to take place until late this year or early next year.

Again, thank you for writing, and thank you for your active citizenship.

Sincerely,

Shelley Reeves

Governor's liaison for the Department of Natural Resources
Country Boy Kennels
Don and Ethan Wells
317-223-1618

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Shows you how much Mitch really cares I will remember this when it is time to VOTE again this is a sport and as far as a yote I don t need them had one the other day start walking toward me and my male beagle if I had a gun he would have got it between the eyes ,they kill all the rabbits kill our beagle dogs ,I say put a bounty on there heads

DoubleEagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Well with the coyotes what you're seeing is the effects of the anti-trapping campaigns of the 70's, 80's and 90's. Where I used to live up north everybody trapped as a kid. Never heard a coyote up there and when you caught one it was a big deal because that was 30 to 40 bucks right there. Big money to a kid.
Then it became "cool" in America to be anti-fur. Next, Europe jumped on the bandwagon. And all the sudden the bottom fell out on fur prices. Now when I go up north you can hear coyotes at least once or twice a week. Farmers are paying people to trap beavers that are building dams across their drainage ditches and flooding the fields.

A total :censored: mess.

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

HEY THERE EVERYONE. This is Jack Hyden, President of Indiana Beagler's Alliance. Its been a long time since I've been on the board, and will strive to get back into the swing of things here and keep everyone up to date.

First off dont be to harsh on Governor Daniels on this one. Shelly Reeves, as her name indicates, is a liaison for IDNR. you really wont get much out of her. Its when the emails and phone calls, and mostly the phone calls, start building up the Governors people start taking notice. And thats exactly what all your calls and comments did with the Coyote issue.

By now most of you should know that the Coyote issue was pulled from the NRC hearing at the May meeting. Up til a couple days before the May hearing everyone associated with the NRC was bound and determined they were going make a preliminary approval for the Coyote dog training and field trialing issue. However your calls and the persistence of the Indiana Beagler's Alliance in contacting the governors people prompted several of our great Republican legislators to talk long and hard with the folks in the governors office and a call was sent out dictating that "the Coyote issue was to be pulled from the NRC agenda, that no changes were to be made without doing the research, and if the research showed Indiana does not have what the little ladies at Indiana Coyote Rescue say we have, then theres no reason to attempt to make changes". this was the exact statement i was given in a phone conversation with the folks in the Governors office much higher up than Shelly Reeves. In a later conversation i was also told that "if things were to head the wrong way to give them a call". OUR IDNR, DIVISION OF FISH AND WILDLIFE STILL SIDES WITH HSUS AND WANTS TO CLOSE THEM.

Now with that said, There is nothing saying that in the late fall that they wont try again. First they have to do the research, and they are not going to find Indiana sportmen and women doing the stuff other states have put on the internet. Also many other states allow catch pens, and to this date I have not found one Indiana sportsman out there that is in favor of catch pens. The Alliance is confident that our Coyote enclosures are safe for now.
Jack Hyden, aka, jackrabbit
Indiana Beaglers Alliance

rbinford1

Post by rbinford1 »

Hi, is this got to with the things i,ve been hearing out of Farmland Indiana ,bout stoping dog running in Indiana ,out of season ? that would suck big time.. I,ve been hearing this for bout 2 months now..Any help ?Thanks...rbinford1

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

At the Youth Rabbit hunt yesterday at Salamonie the issue of dog training and field trialing in enclosures came up. i was told that one Conservation officer is telling people that field trial enclosures are illegal. The Alliance has heard nothing of the such. We were in attendance at the FWCC meeting in Ft. Harrison a Saturday before last and nothing was said there. Any action to close any opportunities must come from Fish and Wildlife and go thru the regular process. I have a feeling the hype is mistaking the Fox and Coyote issue with our dog training. However with Mark Rieter as director Fish and Wildlife now we sure need to stay on gaurd.

The Next NRC meeting later in November will bring some new rule package change ideas to the Table. Fish and Wildlife was out at Bil Myers enclosure at Jasonville about a month back. they all came back with positive comments and Bill's enclosure will remain open. The Alliance is at this time talking with the governors office and a few legislators making sure the new rules proposed by DNR, Fish and Wildlife will not be so restrictive no one else will have the opportunity to train their dogs or hold field trials in an enclosure

I will do some checking tomorrow and see what i can find out about the dog training issue.

Jack Hyden, President
Indiana Beagler's Alliance
indianabeaglersalliance@yahoo.com
574-551-4067

rbinford1

Post by rbinford1 »

Thanks Jack for getting back so fast ,I thought maybe thats what it was somebody geting mixed up .you just never know anymore tho,always sombody trying to stop somthing..Thanks rbinford1

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Thats the nice thing about being retired..... i got more time to aggravate DNR....lol

jack

sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Call Dale Grubb I called him the other day he is in the NRA and in outdoors clubs he is Indianas State rep heres his number he lives in Covington Indiana not 20 miles from Cayuga,Indiana 765-793-3648 I called him about the man across the street calling the cops on my dog for barking at feed time when the cop pulled up all the dog around us where barking but mine he has set me about 10 different flyer wanting me to vote for him let him work for it tell him Scott Badger emailed you

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I will contact Dale tomorrow. i know that he has come to th aide of sportsmen in the past and i had forgotten about him. thanks for reminding me.

jack

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Another political opinion

As everyone already knows this coming Tuesday is election day. The vote for me hype will be over, The news papers, television, and Internet will get back to its normal form of sanity. (if there is such an animal) and come to think of it, the subject of animals brings me to the essence of this email.

What may not be so apparent to to every voter this year is just how important this mid term election actually is to the sportsmen and women both here in Indiana and across the nation. Those of us that enjoy the outdoors, hunting, fishing, and even camping,and hiking are being attacked by the likes of HSUS, PETA and a dozen or more so called animal rights groups that want nothing more than to destroy or hunting and fishing heritage, take away or opportunity to own and raise our animals as we choose, and in fact deny us the ability to enjoy outdoor recreation at all. Before you cast your vote in Tuesdays election take a few minutes to check out the folks that are on the ballet this year. We do have some great candidates that are working hard to get our nation back on a common sense direction once again. Just a few of these candidates are;

State Representative Mark Meesmer, Bruce Borders, and Senator John Waterman in the south.

Rebbeca Kubacki running for State Representative in Wabash and Kosciusko Counties

And State Representative Jackie Walorski who is running for the U.S. Senate against spend thrift Joe Donnelley.

There are so many good candidates either running as first timers or incumbents asking for your support to keep them in office working on our behalf. The experience of Indiana Beagler's Alliance has been that our Republican legislators are the folks that want our state and nation to return to small government that honors the right of the people, and are willing to take actions to insure we can continue to enjoy our outdoor, agricultural endeavors, and midwest conserative lifestyles in Indiana.

This year we have the opportunity to slow the liberal trend that is killing our confidence in our nation and destroying the heritage that our children and grandchildren will inherit one day. Please take Tuesday's election extremely serious, Vote for the Candidate that will best serve our state and our nation, and the Alliance, honestly, feels that Candidate is a Republican.

Jack