speaking of legislation... perhaps....

This is a good place to inform fellow hunters about bills and other legislation that may jeopardize our rights to hunt and free cast our hounds.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

jackrabbit

speaking of legislation... perhaps....

Post by jackrabbit »

we turned on the tv last night after coming home from a gift exchange with some friends... you know how that goes. come in, turn tv on, go get some snacks.....lol. when i came into the living room the program was an antimated story about a supposedly bad guy that wanted to ruin christmas by grinding the reindeer into reindeer burgers and sell them at his fast food joint and the good guys were trying to get to santa to stop it. the supposedly good guys would say things like. they wanted to save enough money to build a zoo so they could rescue all the animals suffering in research labs and stop their suffering. perhaps our hunter harrassment laws need to be better defined. at the very least we need to watch how innocent the programs our kids are watching really are. i sure would have not expected to find that kind of message on a kids cartoon about christmas. i was upset with it and turned the tv off. now i wish i had watched the whole thing to see how much was said.

harvhounds

Post by harvhounds »

Hey Jackrabbit,
Cartoons aimed at kids have been putting out an anti hunting message for a long time.Elmer Fudd,Bambi's mother gets shot by a hunter.Disney was very anti hunter.I also saw an old cartoon once where hunters were openly slammed bullets flying every where ect.Propaganda plain and simple fed to our kids if we are not carefull.I wish I could remember all the anti hunter shows I've noticed The Bear for another a movie about bear hunters.We've a long list against us,the media,hollywood,Thats why I hate to get teed off at the NRA.But I think the writer could have wrote about hunting rabbits without dogs and not slammed our little beagles.

Post by Guest »

harvhounds,

Do you know these things for fact about Warner Brothers and Disney? After all, I don't know how many TV shows I've seen where there's a cat chasing a mouse, and the mouse always wins (Tom and Jerry, for example). These certainly aren't anti-cat/pro-rodent propoganda cartoons!

The funny thing is how ignorant some of these people are that make movies. I caught some of the movie "K-9" with Jim Belushi in it the other day. His police dog is mating with some rich guys poodle in a Mercedes, and the rich guy is upset because his poodle is "worth $100!" You'd think the people who make a movie with a dog as a main character would know a little bit more about the cost/value of dogs. Of course, they also didn't mind portraying this mating between a German shepherd and a poodle as a funny scene, either.

harvhounds

Post by harvhounds »

Guest,
For one why don't you log in and let folks know who you are.As far as disney and warner brothers watch Bambi and see if anti hunting propaganda is not in that movie I'll make it easy watch for this stuff and judge for your self

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Sorry, I forget to put my username in sometimes, although I can't see why it would matter for your response.

I haven't seen Bambi in ages, so I don't know if there are obvious examples of what you are talking about. But if I were making a movie about a deer and wanted to build tension, involving some hunters as enemies/bad guys would be the way to go. And if I'm making a cartoon about a bunny who has to get himself out of sticky situations (Bugs Bunny), it's logical to have a hunter as "the bad guy," too. Can you give some quick examples or propoganda in Bambi so that I don't have to rent it and watch it?

Does "the Fox and the Hound" also fit this, too? I think that's another Disney movie that involves hunters. I haven't seen that one in ages, either.

I don't doubt there's a lot of propoganda out there - I've seen it. I was just curious if Disney and Warner Brothers had ever taken a stance publicly on such issues or if this is just conjecture.

travel

Post by travel »

From an article (Jan. 2001):
"PeTA, HSUS, and other animal rights groups failed to prevent production of 102 Dalmatians from the Walt Disney Studios, and PeTA is trying again to influence Disney through a campaign to block Winter Dance, a movie about the Iditarod sled dog race developed in conjunction with National Geographic and Avnet-Kerner Company. Claiming that the production and training of dogs for the race is inherently cruel, PeTA is urging people to send letters to Disney chairman Michael Eisner."

Disney is in the business of making money. Nothing wrong with that in this day and age (I guess). I do remember movies the likes of Disney's starring Brian Keith and his trapping of a certain critter to make his wife a fur coat. To old to remember details! Then there was "Iron Will", I think as recent as the early 90"s. Then there were the movies created from the novels written by Jack London as well as Big Red or was it Irish Red, LOL! I remember all to well the "Wonderful World of Disney" hosted of course by Walt Disney himself every Sunday night (wasn't it 7:30?).

Bambi, I think, was created in the 40's. I hardly think some underlining message consumed the writers/owners. Particularly animal rights. Have I missed something?

Do I think they have turned left (Disney)? Certainly one must look at their acceptance but not endorsement of "Gay Days". Not an anti-gay basher here, but a anti-special rights basher to be assured. Certain movies do offend me, I will most openly admit. I have been reduced, in my house, to whispering comments to my sons, as they are the only ones that will tolerate it! LOL! Too darn many women! Disney is in the business of making money, if ARA propaganda or views sells, what would you do? Walt died in 1966.
"The best view of big government is in the rear view mirror as you are driving away from it" -- Ronald Reagan