Don McVay Sr Memorial Hunt

Please post only upcoming trials here. Post results, congratulatory notes, and related discussions in the regular Field Trialing Forum.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

EMeade III

Re: Don McVay Sr Memorial Hunt

Post by EMeade III »

Dave is the total dog award a pkc thing or just an award the club gives out?

Sundown Beagles

Post by Sundown Beagles »

Strictly a club award. It has nothing to do with PKC. PKC has allowed the club to continue giving this award and over the years people that have won it listed it as a huge accomplishment on the dog.

r d carnegie

Post by r d carnegie »

^
Roger Dale Carnegie
President|CEO / Professional Kennel Club
Office — (812) 868-1900 • Cell — (985) 516-3112
Email: rdcarnegie@prohound.com

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

I still think there will be a record turnout for this hunt ! This is the best hunt of the year bar none. I think there will be 250 to 300 dogs at this years hunt !
The best raffle, the best food, great areas to run and a really great group of guys and gals putting on the event. With 300 dogs the pay out will be huge ! Best of luck to all that come up !
Thanks Vada ,Dave and Donnie and Jim and all the other wonderful people for such a great time !
See you all in a few weeks !
Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

BTT
Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Sundown Beagles

Thanks Paul. Getting lots of calls from alot of states. Working on a timeline of events that I hope to be done very soon so everyone will know what to expect. I will post it as soon as it is finished.

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

I gotta question. What style of dog does best in the pkc trials? AKC gundog brace, AKC Midwest, ARHA Progressive Pack? What does it take?

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Buckeye Blues wrote:I gotta question. What style of dog does best in the pkc trials? AKC gundog brace, AKC Midwest, ARHA Progressive Pack? What does it take?
Midwest with a twist i would think. Ya coming? Look me up if ya do..
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

Sundown Beagles

I personaly think that a good rabbit dog can win in any format. With that said if you have a good HONEST mouth hound that can HOLD the front without losing the rabbit and NOT be influenced by the pack, you will do fine. Sounds like the perfect dog, doesnt it. LOL!!! I think people lose sight in that trialing is a sport, and like golf not all can be Tiger Woods. Even Tiger doesnt win every event entered. But the great hounds like Tiger get recognized and respected by there competition for what they have accomplished. Therfore we enter hounds to see how they compare to the best, and I gaurantee some of the best will be at this hunt, thanks to PKC adding on to the purse. It will be a great payout and I look forward to seeing everyone.

Volfan

Post by Volfan »

I have to agree with Dave a good rabbit dog will do good in any format. You get strike points which rewards hunt but in my experience alot of your points are scored on the line. So you would think a fast dog would do good but not always true. I have a female that I have hunted in four PKC hunts. Shes not the fastest dog but she likes the front. But I cant tell you how many times that we got a line and she was leading the pack right up to the road or path and they make a lose or in her case over run and a good line dog come along behind them and cross on the line and get first line and mine cut to that dog and not even get a line so any dog can win in this format. But i will say that my female has been in four PKC hunts and won once. I dont know if thats good or not but I think any good rabbit can win in this format.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Can I register a dog that day to hunt? Do all dogs hunt at the same time or can you bring multiples to hunt?

Are the broken down by size or all together? May make the trip, sounds like a great time!!

Connie Young

Post by Connie Young »

Yes you can register your dog the day of the hunt, & I strongly recommend that you do. Also, you must join PKC as a member also, which is $25. ( but this also includes a year subscription to Rabbit Hunter or Prohound magazine) so basically your membership is just subscribing to the magazine with a free PKC membership!

We do run all sizes together, however you can bring more than 1 dog, but you will have to have a handler for each dog.
One who knows the dog, who can call the dog's strike's (barks) this is very important, in the scoring as well as the lines. this is the scoring of the format. 1st -4th Strike /100 - 25 points & lines 1st -100 thru 4th - 25 points . or sometimes they will be divided between dogs.
Here's the link for the rules to help you understand. If any more questions feel free to ask!

http://www.prohound.com/images/PDF/hh_rules.pdf

Connie

Sundown Beagles

BC Beagles, Connie is right it would be the time to register as PKC is offering a special for this hunt. Registration will be $10 instead of the usual $15. BUT, PKC offers a trial period of 3 events before you have to register. So if you have not competed in 3 event you can come to the hunt and run without registering. I know money is tight these days and this will allow alot of NEW people to come out and try PKC without spending alot of money. There are some restrictions if a hound is not registered and wins though, here are a couple that I know of;
1. Money won will not count toward a hounds title.
2. You lose your right to vote if you want to split the final money or run it off.

Also as far as running more than 1 dog? The answer is yes. The Memorial will have a qualifing round of 1A and 1B which means you can run a hound in round 1A and if
1. You win your cast you can enter another hound in round 1B
or
2. If you lose your cast you can re-enter the hound from round 1A or enter another hound in round 1B
Now if you get 2 hounds to advance to round 2 then each will need a handler. Hope this helps. Dave

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

I will be there. Wont be entering a hound. But I'll participate in the raffel and other festivities. It will be interesting to see something other than gundog brace dogs run. Look forward to it!

Will I be able to park the van and camp overnight?

Sundown Beagles

yes, camping is available. Electric hook up is VERY LIMITED. So plan on primitive (no electric, water or sewer hookups) camping. There is water available on site and porta pots.