14 Billion Auto Bailout Dies in Senate

Share thoughts, news, views, etc. WARNING, this forum contains a lot of heated political debate. Harsh profanity is not allowed, but if you are easily offended, do not visit this forum.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

S.R.Patch

Re: 14 Billion Auto Bailout Dies in Senate

Post by S.R.Patch »

I don't know much about the UAW union, only what little our union will do for us.
I did read your link where it said, proceeds from the employee strike fund were used for the golf course. That should bother the employees some. Does the Company pay into the employee's strike fund? I could see where this could be a drain on the Companies profits... :idea:

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

No your strike is funded by union dues and it only a small % of your wage
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

Tim H

Post by Tim H »

Whether the strike fund comes directly from the company or is taken from the wages that are a part of the contract the union negotiated for it still comes out of the company one way or the other, the union doesn't produce anything it just consumes.
"Watch your dog and SHUT-UP"

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Tony
The 1st amendment allows the usual liberal narcissistic "I think.." which is how they start all their sentences.

The second amendment protects us from implementing "I think"

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

"I've long been of two minds when it comes to dollar-cost averaging into individual stocks. I've supposed that it was a sound strategy in general, if you're regularly investing a set amount. But if you're just buying more shares of a stock as it falls, that can be dangerous -- like trying to catch a falling knife. Many times, when stocks fall, it's for a good reason.

Schroeder was addressing the overall market, alluding to a strategy such as dollar-cost averaging into an S&P 500 index fund. I remember Buffett endorsing index funds on various occasions. In his 1996 letter to shareholders, for example, he said, "Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees." In 1993, he said what we have long been saying: "By periodically investing in an index fund ... the know-nothing investor can actually out-perform most investment professionals."

Schroeder is right -- it can be silly to add money to the market when its value is way overblown. But many investors don't know when that is. If they just keep adding through good times and bad, they'll accumulate shares at a wide range of prices, and over time, their value will grow. They won't just be buying near the top, as often happens when bubbles develop..."

This example is why a union works, it takes the ups and downs of the economy and averages them over the long haul, it's not a get rich quick scam like the bubbles the speculators and hedge fund operators created. Each time the contract is opened, the company comes to the table with a $ value that it can afford to spend on employees. We have given up certain benefits to keep others due to increased cost of the benefit wanted, it is all a trade off to match the $ value the company can afford. The shock & awe to the economy as of late was certain to effect the 2 largest investments people make in their lives,ie... homes and autos.
This whole mess was not created at the bottom, it is a crisis of confidence that was started from the top. During times of plenty corruption creeps in, waste abounds and people who never should advance above the mail room on merit, get elected to sit beside uncle Ben on the BOD. These tempting times bring out the greed and self interest in all of us but each only effects the whole, according to the degree of status and power they have to effect capital.
When CEO's & BOD's set themselves up to become the "untouchables", then allowed companies to fail, wiping out investors and share holders, the chain of events was put into motion and all confidence was lost due to this criminal action. If the judiciary system had hung these misfits from the start, the confidence of accountability would have remained, but time and again they have walked away from let-failed companies with their pockets full of investor monies.
I have read where the banks capital reserve has swelled from 2 bill. to almost 500 bil. but the lack of confidence & fear of failed repayment has kept the purse strings drawn tight. When the crooks are booted or have flown the coop and some faith is restored, this money will start to flow out into business and the public, then the inflation will start to run wild with all the excess cash aflow. The pendulum has had a push to the far right, at some point it will swing to the other and we will slush with excess of wheel borrowing money to the store for groceries. So goes the rhyme of history repeating itself. On the big picture, it's liken to a chess game, cause and effect. Some people are really good at chess and playing the game, the rest of us are just along for the ride... ;)

I have to disagree "the union doesn't produce anything". It's given me a safer work place over the years, as of late, the Company has realized the value of safety and it is now it's number one priority in goals to strive for. The union realized the value of good healthy employees to the Company and now the Company promotes a health and wellness program to cut and control cost. I have seen where the union has prompted other non-union Companies to take on the same policies our Company has, if this had not proven to be a benefit to themselves and their employees, I don't think you would have seen this come to be.
I don't know where your distaste for the union comes from and like any organization there are fallacies and abuse but the system as a whole is good for Companies, employees and those around that it touches...jmho

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

I worked for a union all i thought it did was protect the lazy
where i work now isn't a union (love it ) we start the day off with a safety meeting and a safety contact
I do agree the are places for unions but then there isnt as well
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

Tim H

Post by Tim H »

The union doesn't produce safe jobs. When is the last time the union produced a job? How can it produce a safe job when it doesn't even produce A job?
"Watch your dog and SHUT-UP"

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Dan,
Mine safety is very important, keep having those meeting and I hope you return home safely each night to your family... ;)

Side note;
The Company lobbyist spent over a $100 mill. catering the party for the Senators this election. As our favourite Governor said, "the bleeping Senate is a valuable job, to valuable to give away". My only question here is, "who's being served"...
When people loose home, savings and hope, they don't care...They want the whole lot gone... :loser:
Keep faith, the house needs good cleaning and put back in order it will be... ;)

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Just my opinion, but I believe the unions have become all but obsolete by their original design. On the subject of safety and producing a consistently superior product, I believe ISO/Quality Systems/Six Sigma processes have done more to corral excessive waste and unsafe workplaces.

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Bev wrote:Just my opinion, but I believe the unions have become all but obsolete by their original design. On the subject of safety and producing a consistently superior product, I believe ISO/Quality Systems/Six Sigma processes have done more to corral excessive waste and unsafe workplaces.
Right Bev companys have figured out that its more cost effective to be safe,and in good health. Unions are in it for unions,money thing.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. "Benjamin Franklin" 1759

Pine Mt Beagles

Post by Pine Mt Beagles »

:?:
Last edited by Pine Mt Beagles on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:08 am, edited 6 times in total.

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered

wildhare2

Post by wildhare2 »

Everyone wants to bash a union. So here ya go I will bash the non union, because I have worked both sides of the fence. I worked for a few non union shops and had absolutely no training, no safety, no hard hats, safety glasses, fall protection rules etc. Money sucked and the hours sucked. I would work 40 hours before friday and they would want me to take the day off so I didn't get overtime. BS! I worked for one non union shop that had mexicans doing hot electrical work and got lit up and one almost died, but they swept that under the rug. Were I am at now, in the IBEW, I have gone through a 5 year apprenticeship program and on job training. They put me through OSHA and CPR classes. They have trained me well because, we do the job more safe and better. If you hate unions, whatever. I will just keep smiling every time I go to the bank! Non union electrician $18-24 per hour. Union 31.50 + retirement, health care, etc.
My job can kill me at any time so tell me why I would want to do that for less money!
Justin Rutledge

Home of FC, LPRCH LPBCH, HBCH, GRCH Creek Woods Blue

bluegrass

Post by bluegrass »

. If you hate unions, whatever. I will just keep smiling every time I go to the bank!

Exactly the attitude that makes those of us against unions feel vindicated by our dislike...and the same attitude that is breaking the auto industry up too I might add.

Tony
The 1st amendment allows the usual liberal narcissistic "I think.." which is how they start all their sentences.

The second amendment protects us from implementing "I think"

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Robber Barrons all the way !!!
Jay Gould for Prez..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog »

here is something to think about...

CNN headline news did a news listing regarding ford,gm and chryslers contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in new york and washington ..the findings are as followed...

1. FORD..1 million dollars to American red cross matching employee cobtributions of the same number plus 10 excursions to NY fire dept. The company also offered ER response team services and office space to displaced government employees.

2.G.M. ---$1 million to american red cross matching employee contributions of the same number and a fleet of vans,suv's and trucks

3. CHRYSLER----$10 million to support of the children and victims of sept. 11th attack

4. HARLEY DAVIDSON---$1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the NYPD

5. VOLKSWAGON---employees and management created a sept 11th foundation funded initially with 2 million for the assistance for the children and victims of the world trade center.

6. HYUNDAI----$300,000.00 to the american red cross

7. AUDI---NOTHING

8.BMW---NOTHING

9.DAEWOO---NOTHING

10. FIAT---NOTHING!

11.HONDA---NOTHING! despite boasting of second best sales month ever in august of 2001

12. ISUZU---NOTHING!

13.MITSUBISHI--NOTHING!

14.NISSAN---NOTHING!

15.PORSCHE---NOTHING!

16.SUBARU.--NOTHING!

17.SUZUKI--NOTHING!

18.TOYOTA---NOTHING! despite claims of high sales in july and august of 01 condolences posted on the website.

despite volkswagon and hyundai the foreign cars companies contributed nothing at all to the citizens of the united states citizens in their worst time of need...
home of the tailess wonder ...
Glaserhollowbeagles. owners. Tracy & Bettina skiles 314-808-6291.Image