OBAMA Wins!!!!!!!

Share thoughts, news, views, etc. WARNING, this forum contains a lot of heated political debate. Harsh profanity is not allowed, but if you are easily offended, do not visit this forum.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

woods

Re: OBAMA Wins!!!!!!!

Post by woods »

Every one is outraged about social welfare but not one mention about corporate welfare. Amazing!!!!!

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

See Woods you have come in on the end of 4 years of back and forth where Tim H. Bluegrass, Tommy G, Newt and myself and Iam sure some others too have made no bomes about it that we are free market capitalist that believe all subsidies should be stopped. Let the market decide the winners and losers.

woods

Post by woods »

Gotcha Rabbit.

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

woods wrote:Every one is outraged about social welfare but not one mention about corporate welfare. Amazing!!!!!
If you think that one person on this board, other than union democrats(Rufus, Big Mike, S.R. Patch, and Robbie F.), believes the federal government should interfere in the relations of private business then you haven't been paying attention. Are you speaking of the Auto & Bank Bailouts? Or are you trying to build a bridge between corporate welfare and a certain party, and if so which one? Does this mean you want to steer the conversation of welfare towards corporate only, and if so, why? Your accusation leads me to believe that you are placing the existance of the poor upon a single source or party. I think I know what you're trying to say without you having to say it. I base my judgement upon your past posts, as that is all the information I have about your character and beliefs. I dare say that you voted for Obama. The irony of your post is that Solyndra, Solar Trust of America, Bright Source, Abound Solar, Beacon Power, ECOtality, and A123 Solar in total received an estimated 3+ billion in government grants. That's just a few from the list of failed green projects alone. Throw in another 80 billion for the auto bailout. In essesence 100 billion tax payer dollars have gone to corporations under Obama's administration, but somehow the democrats care about the working man more than a greedy business owner as if the two are not intermingled. Get rid of non-essential government programs in general, and we'll have more than enough money to take care of the poor that deserve help, unemployed, elderly, and the sick. If you want to start a business I say get a loan or find the people to invest in your idea. The government is not an institution that generates money, it only consumes it, and should not give away what it does not account for.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Pine Lakes wrote: I've been in a few projects, and obesity is a larger problem than starvation.
1st off i know Woods was being sarcastic, as well was I, and you have a great point with your last sentence.

Ive been to some McDonalds and other such fast food restaurants in the city, and the "starving" children are there with their parents or parent ordering value meals off the menu. A typical order of such for a family of four will cost you $20 to $25. A jar of spaghetti sauce, pound of hamburger, box of whole grain spaghetti noodles, and a bag of ready to eat salad will feed the same family of 4 for about $12. The ones with their hands out for the most part have no family values. Cook your child a meal at home and sit at the dinner table and talk as a family. When i was growing up we sat down at the dinner table every night together and ate dinner as a family. That was a time our parents talked to us about school or just our day in general. The "starving" children eat their $25 McDonalds meal and then head off to the mall for some shopping, with money they did not earn. Its their entitlement money. Obamacare at its finest. And believe me, Michelle's hips didnt get that big eating grass and organic chicken, ............. she has whacked down a few Quarter Pounders in her life too.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Newt

Post by Newt »

woods wrote:Every one is outraged about social welfare but not one mention about corporate welfare. Amazing!!!!!
If you follow our posts you will see that we didn't like it when Bush gave bailouts to the rich anymore than Obama's bailouts. I'm not against some kind of program to help the needy but there should some limits to who gets it. It ceased to be welfare decades ago and began to be a means to buy votes. You can't tell me with a straight face that a free cell phone is a necessity.
There are many folks working, especially in the nursing profession, that are sicker than the people getting bailouts/handouts.

woods

Post by woods »

I said some time ago we need welfare reform. Pine Lakes I don't vote party lines. I voted for Obama but not because I agree with all of his policies. As I said before in my opinion Romney was a bad choice. Along with welfare reform I thing we need Washington reform. I don't believe for a minute politicians give a darn about the poor. They think we are stupid. They say one thing and do another yet we still vote for them. Half the time we have to choose between the lesser of two evils. I mentioned corporate welfare because it needs reform too but honestly we need to start in Washington. Who in the private sector has retirement like they have. Health care for life. They play games with our money paid in by us for social security and Medicare and vote themselves entitlements for life. Why are we not outraged by this? If you ask me both parties are awful. No I haven't followed this board for a long time so I don't know everything that has been said. I have a soft spot for the kids because I have seen kids hungry because of sorry parents. But guess what if these kids have no guidance or help they grow up to be sorry parents too. Is it our job to help? No it's not. But helping them helps us in more way than one. I admire anyone who at least tries to stay up on things but I admire more those who do something about it. We are all in this mess together and no one person or party has all the answers. Inform educate and vote the s.o.b.'s out of office that are not taking care of business. The private sector is divided because that is the politicians want it. Conservatives say it is Obama or the democrats. Liberals say its the republicans. Well I am here to tell you it is both of them. We have to demand and command better or we continue to suffer. My opinion.

Newt

Post by Newt »

If you doubt there’s an American welfare state, you should read the new study by demographer Nicholas Eberstadt, whose blizzard of numbers demonstrates otherwise. A welfare state transfers income from some people to other people to improve the recipients’ well-being. In 1935, these transfers were less than 3 percent of the economy; now they’re almost 20 percent. That’s $7,200 a year for every American, calculates Eberstadt. He says that nearly 40 percent of these transfers aim to relieve poverty (through Medicaid, food stamps, unemployment insurance and the like), while most of the rest goes to the elderly (mainly through Social Security and Medicare).

quote:
Programs have strayed from their original purpose. Take Social Security. Created to prevent destitution among the elderly, it now subsidizes the comfortable. The Wall Street Journal recently ran a story about a couple (he 66, she 70) touring the world. They’ve visited London, Paris, Florence and Buenos Aires. Their financial adviser sends them $6,000 a month from investments and proceeds from their home sale. They also receive Social Security. How much? They don’t say. My hunch: between $25,000 and $50,000 a year.

quote:
In 2010, a fifth of food stamp recipients had incomes exceeding twice the federal poverty line (about $45,000 for a family of four), estimates a study by David Armor and Sonia Sousa of George Mason University.

quote:
Second, it undermines work incentives. This, too, is occurring. Social Security’s eligibility ages influence retirement. If eligibility were higher, people would work longer. Eberstadt thinks that relaxed disability requirements have lowered work effort. In 2011, about 4.5 percent of working-age adults (20-64) received Social Security disability benefits, up from 1.3 percent in 1970.

quote:
Finally, there’s a moral cost. It encourages “gaming” the system to maximize benefits. It devalues the ethic of “earned success.” There’s tension between helping the truly needy and fostering dependence on government and helplessness.

quote:
The need is not to dismantle the welfare state but to modernize it gradually, preserving its virtues, minimizing its vices and not doing it abruptly so as to derail the recovery. But first we need to admit it exists.

woods

Post by woods »

Newt correct me if I am wrong social security is a program that we pay into with plans to draw from someday. Does it have anything to do with your level of wealth? Seems like this article is advocating raising the age at which you can draw these benefits. May I again ask at what age can a member of the house or the senate retire and receive full benefits? Shouldn't this reflect that of the general public or perhaps the military? I am asking questions so I understand better not to pick a fight. And don't the baby boomers retiring have something to do with this number increasing? Sounds like to me now that its time to pay somebody been in the cookie jar.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

WOODS I absolutely agree with your post about changing Washington and I don't want to argue either but I have to ask why in the world if you truely believe that would you vote for a big government candidate who is centralizing more power in Washington. I just don't understand that.

woods

Post by woods »

Rabbit because I just absolutely believe Romney was a horrible candidate. I looked at what he said and then I looked at all the statistics from Mass I could find when he was governor and what he said and what I saw didn't add up.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Woods you have 4 years of Obama record, how does that add up to what he has said. Again not trying to argue but to be honest you reasoning is just not adding up.

woods

Post by woods »

I looked at those statistics too. I looked at what was said and done on both campaigns. I made a choice . Now I have 4 years to see what happens. Rabbit there were a lot of things that factored into my decision. Some of it was my gut some of it was fact some of it was record. That's just the decision I made.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Woods I hope I am wrong but if I'm not we're in for some tough times. I just read what it appears you stand for and what it appears you believe and I look at Obamas record and again man it doesn't compute.

woods

Post by woods »

Rabbit I am not saying this in a bad way but I think that is where we differ. The way we see things. I believe it's ok to agree to disagree.