ftch titles in canada?

Canadian beagling activites, Canadian Beagle on Fox Trial Association, LP on Hare, and other news.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

full circle kennel

ftch titles in canada?

Post by full circle kennel »

please excuse my question, but i was wondering about canadian champion titles? i notice some of the akc dogs running in canada on hare and have earned ftch titles as listed. could someone give me a warm and fuzzy on the hare trials up north? how they are ran format wise? how many competitors and what a dog needs for this title. i am trying to compare their acomplishments with that of the titles being given in the states. also do you think in your opinion it would be tougher to earn a canadian title than a field title in the us? thanks for any info please!!
full circle kennels akc, nkc, ukc, champion bred beagles
ukc GRHBCH, nkc Lp rabbit champion
cameron's run to catch romeo
akc fc walkers scout II
akc fc action jackson

Boomerx

Post by Boomerx »

Canadian Field Trial Champions (FTCH) all are required to have at least three places and 2 of these must be wins (2 firsts) and a total of 75 points, except for 13" males which only require 50 pts. Our classes are usually much smaller than those in the USA (both LPH, and small pack or brace), and judges very critical about the quality of houndwork. In the last LPH trial I was in a week ago, we started with 28 big bitches, and ended with 12. A USA beagler (Steve Guy from NY) won this class. The 15" male class had 16 entries. These size entries make for a nice pack that judges can work with and see often, to determine the best hounds of the day. Our Canadian resident judges must undergo a rigorous training period (written exam and field work) before they can judge. We've had this judges training in effect for more than 40 years. We have a good quality of hounds, and it's tough to win here. Terry McBride

full circle kennel

Post by full circle kennel »

thanks terry! that is very similar to akc spo down here. 3 1sts and 120 pts. in that formats the numbers are similar. is there much politics involved ? down here it is very prevelant making it tough to finish in front of the well known.. it just takes a dog that can dominate.
full circle kennels akc, nkc, ukc, champion bred beagles
ukc GRHBCH, nkc Lp rabbit champion
cameron's run to catch romeo
akc fc walkers scout II
akc fc action jackson

Boomerx

Post by Boomerx »

I can honestly say, that in the hundreds of LPH trials I've participated in, there have been no politics involved. As in all places and formats, there are judges who you know are going to like a certain type of hound (be it fast and on the front end, or one with line control), and that's their prerogative. These very same judges will also award a win to a type they don't personally like, on any given day if that's what it takes to move the most rabbit in the least amount of time. Some days you'll go to a trial, thinking you've got a real shot at winning, and get nothing or get dumped. You've just got to dust yourself off, tune up your hound for the next weekend and try again. As in most localities, good hounds will show up in the winners circle eventually. Do you think anyone (judges) knew Kevin Monroe when he brought KY Reggie to NY and then to Canada? Nope, Reggie did the talkin!

Pike Ridge Beagles
Site Admin

Re: ftch titles in canada?

Post by Pike Ridge Beagles »

full circle kennel wrote:please excuse my question, but i was wondering about canadian champion titles? i notice some of the akc dogs running in canada on hare and have earned ftch titles as listed. could someone give me a warm and fuzzy on the hare trials up north? how they are ran format wise? how many competitors and what a dog needs for this title. i am trying to compare their acomplishments with that of the titles being given in the states. also do you think in your opinion it would be tougher to earn a canadian title than a field title in the us? thanks for any info please!!
Pat,

Are you looking at buying a CKC dog? :D
How is Romeo doing? He is a fine hound, indeed. Did he ever make Grand?