Length of tail

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BIG AL

Length of tail

Post by BIG AL »

I know that at ARHA Little Pack hunts there are bench shows held and one of the criteria for a hound is the length of tail come to the bend in the back leg and no farther. It looks like a lot of the hounds have had their tails docked about 1 inch. Is it common for folks that enter dogs in these shows to dock tails?

TC

Post by TC »

Maybe in bench shows, but not in regular conformation shows. Many times the dogs tail has been docked due to injury or constant injury where the tail never heals up and always is damaging the tail. When it is docked due to injury it is not a fault because they are working hounds same as a scratch or scar due to work.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

buckridge

Tails

Post by buckridge »

You never dock a tail for an AKC show dog, and if you had to, you would never be able to show it.

blunder

Re: Length of tail

Post by blunder »

BIG AL wrote: Is it common for folks that enter dogs in these shows to dock tails?
That would be an automatic disqualification
Here is what a Beagle tail should look like
This dog titled with three strate 5 point majors from bred by class

CH Seventhsun Dog Show Barbie

tom

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Is it just me, or do the tails on show hounds look quite a bit shorter than on field-bred hounds? Maybe that's why so many field-bred hounds need them docked. In other registries' standards, the tail must at least touch the hock.

tnbeagleman

Post by tnbeagleman »

If that tail isn't longer then it looks it would get points knocked off if I was judging the Bench , I t better come to the bend or thats a fault according to the rules. oops I should say according to ARHA Bench rules and I know the tail may be longer thenit appears but it looks short in the picture!

blunder

Post by blunder »

tnbeagleman

Post by tnbeagleman »

ok I'm going ask a question and it is for my on benefit after looking at the AKC score card i like it all but one thing so here is my question . Why is the ears worth 10 points and the muzzle only worth 5? does a beagle use his ears in running? Is that strickly for show or is there a reason that I have not yet considered. I want good running gear. above everything else . but when you get to tail, coat ,eyes, muzzle they are all 5 why is the ears 10, again this is for me to learn I'm not being smart!

blunder

Post by blunder »

Beside running gear hounds need smelling gear. (Ya I know they smell with their nose not their ears). But hounds have the long druppy ears for a reason, and that is to trap those smells so that the nose has more of a chance to do it's job.
Also the muzzle is part of the head and doesn't have anything to do with the dogs running gear.
You will also notice that the head in total is worth 25 points, while the running gear is worth 30 points.

tom
CH Copper Rose Nothing But Net (Patrick)
CH SweetBreez Erin Go Braugh (Peanut)
CH Windflower It's A Beautiful Day (Morgan)
CH Copper Rose Looney Tunes (Poo)
CH Seventhson's Shotgun Sophie

tnbeagleman

Post by tnbeagleman »

Thanks Blunder

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Yes, thanks! I love having some show folk on here. It's fun to learn about the other aspects of "beagling". We all have our dogs in common. Welcome to the board!

buckridge

Beagles head

Post by buckridge »

I have noticed over the past few years that more and more SHOW judges are placing dogs according to the looks of their head... and not looking at the whole dog... they are wanting what they call a pretty beagle head and not looking like a min. foxhound as stated in the standard.

Politics plays a BIG role in the show ring today.. it takes MONEY to place big in the ring.
I HATE TO SAY IT BUT JUDGES ARE PLACING PEOPLE NOT DOGS.

Jim

blunder

Post by blunder »

You will notice tho' that the politics happens in the group and BIS rings, and not in the classes, and it is in the classes that you will find our future champions.
Just as there are "head judges" there are also "motion judges" and "structure judges" so that all ballances out in the end. Just like anyone who shows dogs I pay attention to what judges are looking for, and then try to emphasize that when showing under them. Also there are judges that flat don't like this "type" or that "type" and a handler is waisting their time showing under them with dogs of that "type". (except that it is a great way to build a major for another dog)

tom

TC

Post by TC »

You will notice tho' that the politics happens in the group and BIS rings, and not in the classes,
I Think It depends on what part of the country you are in!!!!!
politics Sure seems to play a large part in the NW!!!! In ALL CLASSES
I was told one time that it dont matter how good yer dog is if ya Aint been playin the game for awhile (payed your dues) then you are gonna have a hard time placing!!!!!!
And yes I have been slammed a few times by runnin my mouth on here!
So Flame away!!!!
But I will say it anyways I agree!! With Buckridge
I have noticed over the past few years that more and more SHOW judges are placing dogs according to the looks of their head... and not looking at the whole dog... they are wanting what they call a pretty beagle head and not looking like a min. foxhound as stated in the standard.

Politics plays a BIG role in the show ring today.. it takes MONEY to place big in the ring.
I HATE TO SAY IT BUT JUDGES ARE PLACING PEOPLE NOT DOGS.
I have been saying this all along!!!! I also see alot of other dogs with multiple problems being Put up Just because of who is handling them.
Oh Well I better Shut Up I have 2 showing Tomarrow!!!!!!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

blunder

Post by blunder »

Some of the "paying your dues" is true. It's called a "learning curve". Just give a complete novice the best dog on the planet and watch them distroy any chance the dog would have in the ring. I don't know anyone that shows dogs that hasn't been on that page at one time.

Good luck with your dogs tomorrow

tom