Training a pup?

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Buckeye Bob

Training a pup?

Post by Buckeye Bob »

I have a nice 3 mo. old gyp that I would like to show.I have never even attempted to show on the bench and need input on what kind of time schedule to use on a pup.I worked with her for the first time tonight and was surprised how well she stood for me with me posing her,it lasted for 5 minutes and then she was done.Should this be done daily?and for how long of a time.Is there someway you pros combine reward with training?Thanks in advance.

TC

Post by TC »

You Did just Fine at that age a 5 min Workout on the table is about max LOL
We usually Do it every night some times a few toimes a night LOL Or you can also stack em up when your just playin With em We use the perty Girl or Pretty Boy Stand and give em a little piece of hotdog Every toime they stand great for us No Fighting Ect Works for us........
Practice practice practice we will usually Work em for about 5 or 10 min on the table and about 15 min Every other night on Lead training While we walk em around the ring up and back triangles ect.. by the time they are 6 mo they act like they are old pros at it. You also want to get them as much Exposure as possibel to folks and other dogs as well..
Good Luck with your Pup....
TC
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

I like doing about five min on the tailgate after I run them. I believe it is important to use a lead appropriate to what you are doing for gaiting. The pup will learn to gait with you on a loose lead with its head extended properly when you put the show lead on. Stacking and gaiting lessons should be short with pups. 5-10 minutes. Always try to finish the lesson on a positive note. The ending is best remembered by the pup.
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!