Opinions on Dual Purpose Pups

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Beagled1

Opinions on Dual Purpose Pups

Post by Beagled1 »

I bred my first litter this October & am looking for some unbiased opinions. The purpose of this litter was to get potential dual purpose hounds with great temperaments. I'm trying to pick the pups that fall into the middle ground. They may not be the best, but they at least seem to have a little bit of everything.
These pics were taken @ 7 weeks, pups are now 9 weeks. These are the two I am most seriously thinking of keeping on. BTW, in the stacked pic of the 2nd pup, no, his nose does not really have a bump in it! I took those pics in my kitchen and as (rotten) luck would have it, the tea kettle handle was directly behind his head, lol.
So, judging from those pics, if you were me and wanted to keep a dual purpose hound that had a good shot in the conformation ring (ARHA or UKC) which would you be more inclined to keep?
http://houndmuzic.tripod.com/heidimoosepups/

blunder

Post by blunder »

Most will agree that you can tell proportions best at 8 weeks, but from what I can see I would pick "white". Pink looks to be slightlly down in the pasturns.

tom
CH Copper Rose Nothing But Net (Patrick)
CH SweetBreez Erin Go Braugh (Peanut)
CH Windflower It's A Beautiful Day (Morgan)
CH Copper Rose Looney Tunes (Poo)
CH Seventhson's Shotgun Sophie

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

Thanks for the suggestion! I've been hunting with Beagles for years, but this will be the first time I am picking a show prospect. I have a fairly good understanding of the Standard, but I'm by far an expert. When you say Pink is down in the pasterns, what exactly is meant by that? I really do appreciate you taking a look at the pups and giving your opinions :D

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

Beagled1 wrote:I have a fairly good understanding of the Standard, but I'm by far an expert.
LOL, typo! That should read I am *NO* expert by far!

blunder

Post by blunder »

When you say Pink is down in the pasterns, what exactly is meant by that?

Notice how the lower portion of the front leg appears to lean forward.
(this could just be the pic)
Compair it to this pic (pup is the same age). Even tho' the leg is forward (hard to stack a pup of that age) the leg is strate at the knee as it is on your "white" puppy.

tom
CH Copper Rose Nothing But Net (Patrick)
CH SweetBreez Erin Go Braugh (Peanut)
CH Windflower It's A Beautiful Day (Morgan)
CH Copper Rose Looney Tunes (Poo)
CH Seventhson's Shotgun Sophie