A Few Questions About Grooming A Show Beagle

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beaglesarethebest

A Few Questions About Grooming A Show Beagle

Post by beaglesarethebest »

Ok First off I am new to the whole showing thing. I am going to be showing my mothers Schnauzer later next yr..

Well I also have a beagle that I would like to get him into showing..I thought the lady that I was takeing my beagle to had said she groomed a couple of beagles well she informed me early last week she hasn't a clue what goes into grooming a beagle.

She was going to try and find out but with the holidays she has been VERY busy (she is a professional groomer has her own business). So I thought I would come to all you who have been very helpful in the past.

So here are a couple of questions I should ask first...

#1 How often do I bath him? and do I bath his total body?, With Schnauzers u don't bath anything that is shaved..Strips the coat and makes it soft.

#2 How often do I brush him?

#3 Do u leave a collar on him all the time? Again with Schnauzers u don't puts a dent in their coat (breaks their fur)

And last for now

#4 what exactly do u groom on a beagle?

Ty again for ALL your help

Robyn

show dog

Post by show dog »

The beagle is supposed to have a stiff coat. If you bath too often it softens the hairs. I always bathed the dog before I went to a show to get the white bright. Also bath before using clippers, saves the blades.

Only wear a collar when outside the house, leaves a mark and damages the neck hair.

Brush him every day. Helps with the handling. I like a zoom groom brush to get the dead hair out.

I shaved the chest up under the ears. Shaved the belly and the rear end. Legs were trimmed to make them appear round. You need clippers and a pair of thinning scissors. Also keep nails short and trim hair out of feet. Teeth need to be kept clean and dog must be used to having his teeth looked at.

Get him used to standing on a grooming table. Also need a show leash- thin chain with light weight leash. He must get used to working with this leash behind his ears. Find a handling class in your area. That is the best thing I did when showing.

Carolyn

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Here is a good SHOWBEAGLE grooming link and you can buy a video here too
http://www.geocities.com/aladarbeagles/groom.html
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

Bonnie Casner has a wonderful dvd that walks you through the process of grooming a beagle. This is the best info available. She has had great success in showing hounds. Will look up the info for you. Please be patient. I am going out of town for a few days. Send me a pm with some contact info. Dan
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!