When buying a puppy

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

blunder

Post by blunder »

Blunder: I am not sure why you quoted me and then followed up with your coment ? Was there some hidden meaning to that post? Well basically exactly this gal is new to beagling and she was asking for simple direction that was what I was trying to do is let her know that just because a dog has a CH or FC in front of his name don't mean a hill of beans, we all know how many dogs get those CH and FC and it ain't because the dog is the end all and be all to the Beagle world it is because some folks will Promote a hound or a kennel till finally someone gets wise to em.
Actually I quoted you and then said what I did to make the point that as someone new to dog games they don't need to master all you said in one big lump. Learning is a process not an event. I am an advocate of new people finding a "mentor", and this is the biggest reason for buying a pup from a quality breeder because that breeder often becomes that mentor. This first relationship will then lead to "networking" with others within the breed, and this networking then leads to "shaired" information about the breed.

tom
CH Copper Rose Nothing But Net (Patrick)
CH SweetBreez Erin Go Braugh (Peanut)
CH Windflower It's A Beautiful Day (Morgan)
CH Copper Rose Looney Tunes (Poo)
CH Seventhson's Shotgun Sophie

simplepaliving

Post by simplepaliving »

Thanks guys, I have decided to wait on a pup, I have Maisy my Beagle I am going to campain and meet as many people as we can. I am going to take my time in finding a pup. I do not want to make a wrong desicion. Thanks for all the help, still interested in this subject though.
Samantha
Reasonable web sites and event photography!
http://www.top-paige.com

TOUCHSTONE

Post by TOUCHSTONE »

If you want a dog that is great at both chances are you will have to breed it. Learn all that you can about structure and hunt characteristics. Some good sources of information to start with are Rachael Page Elliots Dogsteps Video and books. You may be able to get them through the inter-library loan system. Ask your librarian. Or you may be able to purchase them on the internet. I also recomend The Dog In Motion. And any book about the breed. Good Luck. Dan M
STRUCTURE - THE WINNING EDGE!

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

TOUCHSTONE wrote:If you want a dog that is great at both chances are you will have to breed it. Learn all that you can about structure and hunt characteristics. Some good sources of information to start with are Rachael Page Elliots Dogsteps Video and books. You may be able to get them through the inter-library loan system. Ask your librarian. Or you may be able to purchase them on the internet. I also recomend The Dog In Motion. And any book about the breed. Good Luck. Dan M
While breeding your own dogs is rewarding its also very important to start with top notch breeding stock. A person would find it very difficult if not impossible to start with mediocre dogs and try to breed up. It would all depend on what your goal is in breeding. If your looking to show in Conformation then you definately won't have much success in trying to breed up from a pet dog. Nor would you produce a good gundog by trying to breed up from something with little instinct.

I highly recommend the book "reaching for the stars" by Mary Roslin Williams She is a lab breeder but, this book applies to anyone who is looking to starte a successful breeding program.

Leah