New Pics of Field/Show line pup

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Beagled1

New Pics of Field/Show line pup

Post by Beagled1 »

New to posting pics, so crossing my fingers this works ...
Anyway, I recently took a few new pics of my little field/show cross pup (thank you TC & Jackie for giving me the opportunity to own her - already she's just short of keeping up with my older upper me/fast speed hounds). She's about 15-16 weeks now, and I'm thinking not only is she going to make one helluva great huntin' hound, I think she may be right for the show ring. What do you all think? (fyi, this is the same female pup TC posted under the "Curious" thread)
I've also included a pic of my 9 month old male pup, just for showin' off :D

TC

Post by TC »

Wow, I am so happy you are pleased with her! She sure looks good there, looks like you have been working hard with her. She looks like she is going through the gangly stage like the ones we have here. She don't look like she has grown much, and is staying balanced. I think she will do well in the UKC shows, but in AKC she will have more difficulty unless she stays small and balanced as she seems to be.

I am certain she will do well in bench shows at trials though.

Right now she looks good though. But the important part is that you are happy with her.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

From what I can see right away when I look at her pictures your little girl is pretty and looks to have nice bone, great markings and a good personality. Depending on her topline and how she carries her tail she might do just fine in the AKC show ring. Just my .02

GOOD LUCK!!! I do agree with TC, what matters MOST is how happy YOU are with her, not the AKC's peoples opinions ;)

Cindy
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

:shhh: SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Don't tell anyone that this pup has bluetick on the top. ;) :approve: :biggrin:
OAK HILL BLUETICK BEAGLES

TC

Post by TC »

That is where they got their good looks Sally...

Honey Pot Hounds

oakhill wrote::shhh: SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Don't tell anyone that this pup has bluetick on the top. ;) :approve: :biggrin:

OMG! Now you've GOT to get an AKC CH on her! LOL! :lol:
Cindy

Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

Honey Pot Hounds wrote:
oakhill wrote::shhh: SHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Don't tell anyone that this pup has bluetick on the top. ;) :approve: :biggrin:

OMG! Now you've GOT to get an AKC CH on her! LOL! :lol:
LOL! Ok, think I'll go ahead and try her out in the showring :D If nothing comes of it at least she can hunt ... think the judge's will notice all that ticking? lol :twisted:

TC

Post by TC »

If nothing comes of it at least she can hunt ... think the judge's will notice all that ticking? lol
Hey glad you are going to try and see what comes of it the worst that can happen is you get experience, and learn more about the breed! Another plus to showing your dog is you get to meet more beaglers, they maynot have the same exact interest as you do, but they love the breed the same as you!

Just remember that having ticking on a beagle is not against the standard, it should not be a deciding factor, however it is to some judges. Just don't let it discourage you!

Take your puppy to handeling classes so she and you will be prepared for the ring. Learn all you can from those instructors, many are very experienced and very knowledgable!

And hunt ability is an added bonous!

She is a nice little puppy, so keep yer chin up and go for the gusto!

And will tell ya break a leg for {good luck} is bad luck! ;)

Honey Pot Hounds

I can't see any more ticking on her than usual. But if she has alot start practising your chalk applications at home. A nice groom job will be necessary for winning against most AKC show competition.

Here is a good place to start:
http://www.geocities.com/aladarbeagles/groom.html
Cindy

WE NEED YOU!

crewchf

Post by crewchf »

Are you saying that them there show dogs may be full of ticking and we'd never know?????????????????

Crew Chief

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

Just for the record.. I do not believe you need to chalk anything for the show ring unless there is a stain or something like that. I rarely chalk dogs and I haven't done to darn bad!! ;-) Ticking is very acceptable and is not penalized by judges. If the conformation of the dog is good color/ticking/grooming will not matter. I know several people showing for years in AKC conformation shows who don't even take whiskers off. They seem to do just fine. Just a little tidying up will be enough.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

Honey Pot Hounds wrote:I can't see any more ticking on her than usual. But if she has alot start practising your chalk applications at home. A nice groom job will be necessary for winning against most AKC show competition.

Here is a good place to start:
http://www.geocities.com/aladarbeagles/groom.html
Cindy, THANKS for the link about the grooming ... will definitely come in handy!
BTW, you can't really see her ticking from the pics. She has a slight bit of red ticking on her legs/feet and has a white patch on her neck/shoulder that is not in the pics. She has a fair share of blue ticking there :)

TC

Post by TC »

Me personally I LIKE the ticking!!!!!!
BUT they seem to have a lot harder time in the show ring in AKC Now in UKC The tickin dont hurt a thing because they seem to judge more for Form and Function the structure makes the difference not the color!!!
I think also what Cindy ment was a little chalk to help bring out the white Or define the markings more here is where good grooming comes in a little off here and there th help define the structure seems to be the norm.
We groom very little just take off the stragly hairs a nice little trim will do.
A lot of it seems to be Presentation IMHO Practice! practice! practice!
you gota get the judge to notice your hound.
The happier they are in the ring the better off you are.

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

TC wrote:Me personally I LIKE the ticking!!!!!!
BUT they seem to have a lot harder time in the show ring in AKC Now in UKC The tickin dont hurt a thing because they seem to judge more for Form and Function the structure makes the difference not the color!!!
I think also what Cindy ment was a little chalk to help bring out the white Or define the markings more here is where good grooming comes in a little off here and there th help define the structure seems to be the norm.
We groom very little just take off the stragly hairs a nice little trim will do.
A lot of it seems to be Presentation IMHO Practice! practice! practice!
you gota get the judge to notice your hound.
The happier they are in the ring the better off you are.
I come from cocker spaniels ie: grooming nightmare! I also had a grooming shop for 17 year so, my arms are tired! When I got beagles I chalked and fussed over every little hair (old habits die hard) Then I decided "to heck with this" and started just wiping them off (trimming at home) Now for the most part I just take em as they are. All that 1 hour of fussing before hand is not necessary in this breed unless you have lots to try to hide ;-)

I also agree about presentation. Watch the groups at shows and pay attention to the handlers. You can really learn a lot that way. Watch how they use their hands and how they get the most from the dogs and if you lucky enough to win the breed and get into the groups then you have 10 or 15 min in there to try out some stuff.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map