Judging correct beagle movement?

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Does a judge need to consider movement viewed from the side to make a quallity decision?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 11

TOUCHSTONEBGLS

Judging correct beagle movement?

Post by TOUCHSTONEBGLS »

I like to watch a dog in motion from the side when I judge. Many bench show judges at trials don't look at motion from the side. Just down and back without any time for free-stacking. Can a confident decision be made without that aspect of judging? What is your answer and why?
Structure: The winning edge!
Hunting Beagles Bred For FORM AND FUNCTION
GRCH/GRHBCH White River Beau Of Touchstone
HBCH/CH Touchstone's Whimsical Dream

Windkist

Post by Windkist »

I definately pay attention to sidegait when judging but, its not "everything" for me thats for sure like for some of the all breed judges that think "TRAD" (tremendous reach and drive) is the be all to end all. I like to watch from the side and the down and back. Dogs that have a lot of wasted motion (egg beater fronts) etc are not moving efficiently. A dog moving on the side should effortlessly cover ground with the proper amount of reach and drive without it being overdone.

Leah
Life's a trip
but it doesn't come with a map

TC

Post by TC »

I have to agree with Leah on this one, I love to watch a dog that can glide effortlessly and should be considered during any conformation judging atmosphere whether it be bench show or in the show ring, how ever there is no criteria for judges to actually judge the gait, but it does give you indicators as to what you might look at when the dog is on the bench or the table which ever the case maybe. However I think that the down and back should be before the table and bench so that the judge can then identify the reason for it when they do their hands on.
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

blunder

Post by blunder »

Actually I would say yes and no to the pole question.
When a good judge puts their hands on a dog they should walk away knowing what there is to know about that dog before it is gated at all.
Where the problem lies is that as a judge I will want to be verifying what I felt by watching the dog move. So I might want to see one dog from the side and another from the front or rear. At a normal show after the dog has done a down and back the handler will be asked to take the dog around. Watch a good judge closely and you will notice that they will watch one dog all the way around and yet another just part of the way.
In other words that judge will already know what they are looking for with that particular dog.
CH Copper Rose Nothing But Net (Patrick)
CH SweetBreez Erin Go Braugh (Peanut)
CH Windflower It's A Beautiful Day (Morgan)
CH Copper Rose Looney Tunes (Poo)
CH Seventhson's Shotgun Sophie

Beaglebrit

Post by Beaglebrit »

I like to view gait on a dog from the side, but I come from a breed that the standard stresses side gait..(Brittanys). a lot of faulty movement can be hidden by handler tricks on the down and back but side movement can not be as easily minipulated..but with that said it takes a judge who can recognise correct side movement not excessive speed passed off as efficient ground covering gait or hackney front movement pased off as true reach

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

You get a better look at the topline and tailset from the side...I say that you have got to see them move from the side too.
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!