New Beagle Boy!

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Beagled1

New Beagle Boy!

Post by Beagled1 »

This is our new Beagle boy, Indy . This dog is fricken AWESOME!!! Very smart, we have to be careful what we do around him - he saw me open the back gate the other day and learned how to push it open, lol. Not sure yet if he'll show any interest in rabbits - I haven't had him long enough to run him but will find out soon enough <G>. He certainly has the pedigree for it, is a great grandson to "Chase" on both sides :D Took some pics of him yesterday & thought I'd share ...

Last edited by Beagled1 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beagle Huntsman

Re: New Beagle Boy!

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

Very nice dog you have there! Good luck with him in the field!

My experience with show beagles is that they generally are more intelligent than your average field beagle. I suspect maybe it has something to do with the fact that many show breeders make house pets of their hounds, and the close human contact has somehow affected the genetics, or selection. I attribute most of the intelligence in my hounds to all the show blood I have mixed in through the years. It makes your hounds much easier to handle, break off trash/deer, etc. I made a cross last year to a dog who had no show blood at all, and I definitely lost some brain power! (Not me personally....the puppies)

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

Very nice dog you have there! Good luck with him in the field!

Thanks!!! :D

My experience with show beagles is that they generally are more intelligent than your average field beagle. I suspect maybe it has something to do with the fact that many show breeders make house pets of their hounds, and the close human contact has somehow affected the genetics, or selection. I attribute most of the intelligence in my hounds to all the show blood I have mixed in through the years. It makes your hounds much easier to handle, break off trash/deer, etc. I made a cross last year to a dog who had no show blood at all, and I definitely lost some brain power! (Not me personally....the puppies)

We only have two show dogs, but I'm noticing that they seem to have much better temperaments/intelligence than the all field bred hounds. I have one bitch who goes back to dual purpose breeding - she is so intelligent, it's scary. Aside from her, the ones that have had the most brains & common sense were defintiely the show dogs and the show/field crosses. Have had some other all field bloodlines that were way too slow on the uptake and shy for my taste, so I definitely think you're onto something about being bred with close human contact ...

TC

Post by TC »

Nice looking dog you got there Beagled1. Very pretty.

Congratulations on him!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

He's a beauty!!! Congrats!!! :D
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

score em

Post by score em »

I have a granddaughter on both sides that are Chase and let me tell you she knows what a rabbit is she will run a rabbit with a pack or solo she is almost a field ch so i bet you male there would run a rabbit nice dog take care