New Show Puppy Litter

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

buckridge

New Show Puppy Litter

Post by buckridge »

New Litter of puppies...3 boys and 1 girl ... out of our Show Champions.. Peyton and Lilly ... 2 wks old

Will post pics soon

Jim and Connie
Jim Bucksot
Buckridge Kennel
Greenwood In.

mooredog

Re: New Show Puppy Litter

Post by mooredog »

I know these will be great looking pups ! Great bloodlines ! Great people ! Merry Christmas !
Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Can't wait to see pix! Penny is a big flirt right now but that's all. We'll try again today and see if joe says it's a "GO." He won't waste his time if the time is not right. So funny humans aren't that way, LOL!
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

Moore Beagles

Post by Moore Beagles »

Jim and Connie a Christmas STAR wishes you a Merry Christmas, and so do we :!: The Moore family
ImageImage
I'll keep My GOD, MY Freedom, My Guns, and My Money! You can keep the "CHANGE".

The Rich and Poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2

Blessed by the Best

Honey Pot Hounds

Beautiful!!!!!
Merry Christmas!!!!
Cindy

Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Honey Pot,

Your kennel produces some beautiful hounds. As I look to reestablish my kennel after consecutive deployments, my ambition is to restore conformation that is desperately lacking in the hunting lines. I have noticed a couple kennels that are working toward this end of which I have shared ideas but looking to get more information on conformation.

What is the toughest conformation trait to breed for? Head, legs, eyes, teeth, etc...

Do you work with your hounds in the field to determine which one might have the best chance of producing well with a hunting line? Im afraid breeding to a pure show dog with lacking hunt, nose etc. would be a waste of time. I assume breeding a proven Field Champion to a reproducing Show Champion is the best one could hope for. Do you offer any of your males for stud and if so what type of fee's do you charge. The reason I ask, I notice $1500 is your price for puppies which is a range I cant work with. (4 kids, military pay and all). I realize show is a different world, but I would like to see these worlds come closer together. Tired of looking at pups that look like terriers or feists. lol.

Any input appreciated, and again you have some beautiful hounds. If I ever come up with some hounds that look that good and hunt as good I will consider my kennel a success.

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

TC

Post by TC »

http://americanbeagler.huntingboards.co ... 28&t=41647

http://home.earthlink.net/~tjcrewse/

You Want to See What a Cross of Show and field blood can Do then Come watch em Run!!!!
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

Honey Pot Hounds

My opinion is that it is all tough to breed for...we want the total package, which we never quite get but we can get pretty close. TC, Sundown, Strongbow..those are the folks you should be talking to I think. Since I don't hunt with my Beagles I can't claim to have what you want although the man who sold me my stud dog did get some nice performing puppies out of him with his field bitches. My dogs strongest producing traits with my show bitches have been wonderful front ends with reach from longer upper arms, strong toplines, and attitude. I don't know if any of that matters to the field hunters and I have pretty much given up nagging them about conformation because if they are happy with their hounds then who am I to care what they look like. I am so involved in working to fight an uphill, lonely battle against bad legislation these days that the looks of field dogs has taken a back seat to the fight to the right to own and breed field dogs, or any dogs, for that matter ;)

I offer very fair terms. If you are interested in my dog write me privately at HoneyPotHounds@aol.com I love to see nice dogs bred and my dog is more than happy to oblige. I will work with any decent folks with decent dogs to help in any way I can.

All the best and THANKYOU for your service to our country! :angel:
Cindy
mybeagles wrote:Honey Pot,

Your kennel produces some beautiful hounds. As I look to reestablish my kennel after consecutive deployments, my ambition is to restore conformation that is desperately lacking in the hunting lines. I have noticed a couple kennels that are working toward this end of which I have shared ideas but looking to get more information on conformation.

What is the toughest conformation trait to breed for? Head, legs, eyes, teeth, etc...

Do you work with your hounds in the field to determine which one might have the best chance of producing well with a hunting line? Im afraid breeding to a pure show dog with lacking hunt, nose etc. would be a waste of time. I assume breeding a proven Field Champion to a reproducing Show Champion is the best one could hope for. Do you offer any of your males for stud and if so what type of fee's do you charge. The reason I ask, I notice $1500 is your price for puppies which is a range I cant work with. (4 kids, military pay and all). I realize show is a different world, but I would like to see these worlds come closer together. Tired of looking at pups that look like terriers or feists. lol.

Any input appreciated, and again you have some beautiful hounds. If I ever come up with some hounds that look that good and hunt as good I will consider my kennel a success.

Mybeagles
Cindy

WE NEED YOU!

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

as Cindy said, If you want nice looking dogs that can get the job done ,check out Don McVay at Sundown Kennels. He has more than a few that can get the job done ,and look good doing it. check out TC's dogs, his dog " LUGNUT" is the real deal. West Virginia Bill at Mountain View Kennels has some great dogs and a good breeding program.
Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

TC

Post by TC »

Thanks Guys!!!

Then Mooreboys Are Doin a pretty Good job at it to!!!!!!

wvbill

Post by wvbill »

We all hi-jacked a post but that is okay. We all appear to get along. LOL

My beagles,

The two toughest field needed traits to breed for from most show hounds is the proper use of mouth and volume. In saying that you will still need the desire to run a rabbit along with track running ability.

But I will say just because the stud doesnt have one of the above doesnt mean he can not reproduce it.

Find a stud that has consistently done the above and you will be good. Going out and making crosses from one or both dogs that are unproven in this COULD cost you a few years of set back. "I Won't take anything away from them but it could be a dead end road"

In closing one of the things that I really look for is a dog that is fluid while RUNNING. I want the dog to look like it is effortless when in pursuit. I see way to many that hop and skip and bounce along with others that pound their front ends into the ground a inch every time they take a step. Their is a difference in a gait, trot and run over that of a run to catch.

Good luck in your pursuit,

Bill
MOUNTAIN VIEW BEAGLES
"WHERE HUNT AND SHOW ARE ONE"
Martinsburg, WV

Moore Beagles

Post by Moore Beagles »

Yes Bill the topic did get highjacked, but I can tie it all together. Jim & Connie here is the video of Star starting in the starting pen running bunnies. She started the first day, and has been running ever since.
She is 100% show bred with K-Run, Windkist, Buckridge, and Lanbur breeding, She has Windkist A Walk In The Park, and Shaws Spirit of the Chase in her 3 generation Pedigree. Yes she is a related to UNO and has very similar breeding. We bought her with the main purpose to breed directly with our Parker male, and start our foundation of show blood.
Connie thank you thank you so much for selling us such a fine bred pup. She is already more than we could ever hope for. Thats the reason for the Christmas Star greeting! Just saying thanks and wishing you all the best :!:
MooreDawg & I had some pups at the starting pen, and when we went to pick them up, we decided to see if Star wanted any bunny action too, and she started faster than any of the field bred pups that we had there at the time.
Many people have asked if show beagles will run a rabbit; YES they will, its just that very few ever get a fair shake at it. She is very fast and uses her mouth right, and hunts very very hard, but I don't take her runnin all the time and just anywhere because I can't afford to lose her. Plus my wife already told me to not even come home if I lost her! :bash: :blackeye: :bomb: :angry: :angryfire: :argue:
HoneyPot thank you for your nice words, and for fighting for our rights as free Americans, I have went to the site, and have contacted Congress men and Senators in the past about these issues, and several other politically correct ideas that threaten our way of life, God, country, family and the right to keep and bear arms. Please give us a heads up on whats coming next :censored:
Mybeagles thank you for serving our country in the military, I pray for our troops each and everyday!
What your wanting is what many of us on this board want an excellent looking dog that can do it all. One that will run the fur off a rabbit, and not scare you when it comes out of the brush pile. There are breeders that are working solely at this goal, and are many generations past the typical show/field cross. I'll mention these breeders again, because they are worth repeatng; Sundown, W V Bill , TC, Strongbow, Score-Em, Woodpont, all are breeding with the total dog in mind.
W V Bill has a prior post about a pup from his kennel named (Before & After) the pup is now grown is named Jennings Little Creek Total Caous. He is flat tearing up the UKC, and looking good doing it.(I have a female that needs to hookup with this guy) Sundown has Running Reb and other Stud males available. TC has Lugnut & Chance, Score-Em has Charger, Strongbow Mamma's Boy is still kicking, Woodpont has a couple Studs to pick from, and others like DOC and Larry G should have have some blood your interested in. Cindy is a good person and if she has a Stud your interested in then pursue that. :approve: There are several show breeders who will sell or breed with you if they are assured of a good loving home for thier pup. They know that there are field beaglers out there that will kill or discard a undesirable pup, and I won't sell to anyone that practices this type of culling either.
There are bloodlines available to get the job done now, but it will take some good old line breeding to lockin some of these desired traits. :nod: All its gonna take is TIME, MONEY, and the GOOD LORD shining on you from above :angel:
TC thanks for your friendship and encouragement :D
Bill we really lucked out with this Buckridge female pup Star, because she does all of the above mentioned qualities.
She hunts hard, jumps her own rabbit, packs well, uses her mouth correctly, and appears to hold a pretty good line, but she tries to go too fast most of the time, but she is only a year old and really smart with an excellent temperment. I should be able to get her to fetch a rabbit also, because I can get her to bring me just about anything around the house :bigsmile:
Here is a short video of her running the first day in the starting pen :!:

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p40/ ... _26_43.flv

Let me know what you all think :eyes:

The Rich and Poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2

Blessed by the Best

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I might not be welcome at some of the show kennels then. Not only do I cull obviously faulty pups, I would not expert a breeder to sell me a faulty pup. Im not into linebreeding or inbreeding so I would be left with selective breeding to produce the results. As far as the undesireables, I give some away as pets, seriously faulty dogs get destroyed, the rest have a wonderful life of hunting and family companionship with my four kids.

Not trying to pry, but if you linebreed and inbreed I know you get defective pups, what do you do with them if their not culled? I heard animal shelters are overflowing these days with the poor economy. I dont like placing beagles in homes where they will be on automatic feeders eating cheap dog good, getting fat and never getting trips to the field to do what they were bred for and love.

Good information on this thread, appreciate all the information. You confirmed some of the leads I was following.

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

TC

Post by TC »

Not trying to pry, but if you linebreed and inbreed I know you get defective pups, what do you do with them if their not culled? I heard animal shelters are overflowing these days with the poor economy. I dont like placing beagles in homes where they will be on automatic feeders eating cheap dog good, getting fat and never getting trips to the field to do what they were bred for and love.
You know this for a FACT huh.. Tell me HOW do you know this Show me your Facts!!!
In the 8 or So litters we have raised we have never had a pup with malformities unless your Counting slightly Bowed legs Sure we have had pups that were not Show ring Quality All our pups are placed in homes were they will be well cared For as pets and hunting partners..Some as just plain pets!!!!
Nothing Wrong with that or Is there?
but then again in Everything you have posted none of us are good enough to be raising beagles in your Eyes either So to each their own.. ALL pups that we have placed have went to loving homes NONE have ever to our Knowledge ended up in A Shelter.
I Would much rather give a pup to a young Child that i Knew was gonna be raised in a Warm home with plenty of food and kept worm and loved over selling one that is going to be kept in an above ground kennel on Wire never to touch the ground until rabbit season comes around..or just used as a Tool....
As far as Culling if i say if we ever have a pup with a birth defect That pup would be delt with accordingly.
When we sell or give a pup away to a pet home it is Spayed or nuetered.
We also give preference to Dual purpose type homes those that will Field as well as Show their hound...
We are VERY selective on Where our pups Go and Sorry to Say So far you Wouldnt make the grade.....
Good luck in your journey
TC...

Moore Beagles

Post by Moore Beagles »

Mybeagles
If you look at your pedigrees you will see lots of linebreeding, in fact many of my field bred and Show bred beagles have the same line breeding if you go back far enough, thats what makes a Beagle-A BEAGLE! There is a right and wrong way to linebreed.
Who said you have to sell a pup to someone who plans on putting thier pup in a pen on a automatic feeder?
The last time I looked the beagle was in the top 5 of all breeds just about wherever you are. If your too buzy to find a pet home for a perfectly heathy pup that doesn't work into your program, and you are producing "Defective Pups' maybe you should leave the breeding up to someone else :!: Then you can take your time and search for that PERFECT pup that is out there.

Blessed by the Best