Hard Hunting Stud with Show Blood Mixed In

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

briarbuster1

Hard Hunting Stud with Show Blood Mixed In

Post by briarbuster1 »

I would like to know everyone's opinion as to which beagle stud (that I could breed a good AKC female to) has the best conformation and also throws good hard hunting hounds. I prefer full 15" males and I appreciate good conformation. Hopefully there will be several choices. I live in eastern NC. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Woodie Kitchen

mybeagles

Re: Hard Hunting Stud with Show Blood Mixed In

Post by mybeagles »

By the response your getting you can see this is not a focus of the breeders which is unfortunate. I am looking for the very same thing as I get ready to start back into beagles. Some dogs of intersest to me are in Woodpont Kennels, Also Score-em kennels has a male from Woodpont kennels that is claimed to be a hard hunting sire with great conformation. I spoke for two pups out of a cross he is making with a nice mix of Field trial and show lines. Jot my name down as a possible puppy buyer if you come up with a good cross that seems to have both.

I expect to have to go through a few pups to get a solid balance of both, but in the end I think there will be a growing interest of having hounds with both.

Dont give up, there out there!

Mybeagles
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

briarbuster1

Post by briarbuster1 »

OK, thanks. I may have posted in the wrong category as well. The field guys want to breed some show blood in for conformation but that normally does not go the other way. Not slamming anyone, just a fact. I love the way show beagles look! Also, it proves to me that the hunters are not visiting this category which is a shame also. We all need to be working together for the good of the breed. I know there are some good studs out there with show/field blood mixed up in them. I'll try posting the same thing in another area and see what I get.

Woodie Kitchen

bunnyhuntah

Post by bunnyhuntah »

here is a pic of my half show half hunting beagle he lives indoors and absolutley love him he was my first beagle he has all but 1 on the sires side that is not a show champion and on the dams side there are only 4 that arent FC.
IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq76 ... nel013.jpg[/IMG]
"Keep the quest for a better Beagle alive always."
- Reverend John Parks..................Hare Bawlin' Kennels

bunnyhuntah

Post by bunnyhuntah »

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Nice looking hound,

I dont doubt that you can improve the conformation of a dog breeding to show lines, but how much field ability is lost in the process? Its a little easier to breed for conformation as you can instantly measure your success and have exact standards to cull to. With hunt it might be 2 years before the traits can be assessed completely. Most dogs do not have hunt, nose, speed, and desire to spare. You normally want all you can get. How does this hound perform in the field?

Mybeagles
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

bunnyhuntah

Post by bunnyhuntah »

he has probly the most heart of any of them in the kennel. he is extremely fast on dry ground but when snow flies is completely different its as if he cant figure it out. he lives indoors and handles in the field and hunts like a bird dog which makes him an awesome jump dog in a new spot. Never ran a deer nor been shocked off. he will not give up on a check at all if he looses it hell be there till he finds it 10, 15, 20 minutes doesnt mattter to him but he will find it. which kind of makes it a pain in the butt. he also oversized 15 5/8. he is 2.5 years old and this year would be his second season and i havent run him much do to having pups ready to start so maybe the snow thing will get better.

harrow

Post by harrow »

Like mybeagles said Dave Kohn of Score-em kennels has Woodpont Charger. He is a VERY nice looking hound and hunts just as well. I have run w/ Charger often. Dave just bred him to a female in his kennel , but I think all the pups are spoken for. you can visit his web site @ http://score-embeagles.com. There are pictures of Charger and the pups. He also has another hound, Woodpont Busy that has exceptional confirmation and hunt. She just made HBCH this past weekend. Dave can also be contacted at 419-439-1670. If you have trouble reaching him let me know I run w/ him about every day.

score em

Post by score em »

Charger is a nice hound he is quick and hunts good he is show breed he is built big and thick also if your looking for a nice male to breed too Bill Ashcraft In WV has a very nice male CH Jenco Chip he is a AKC CH i have a daughter out of him that is looking promising I know Chip is throwing alot of nice stuff into his pups and chip can put it on a rabbit he runs a nice one

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I'm on the list for 2 Females out of Charger X Busy........ :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

If theyre as good as you guys say, I should be a happy man :D
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

briarbuster1

Post by briarbuster1 »

Thanks to all who have posted a reply. it is so interesting to hear what all the other breeders in the country are doing in their kennels. Lots of different crosses being made and I have to truly comment that all of the breeders who have posted on this subject and/or pm'ed me seem like they have the best in mind when it comes to improving the beagle breed. I am glad that this is the case because there are not many breeds of dog capable of doing as many things as the beagle. Airport security, tracking lost children, rest home companions, and awesome hunters are just a few of the things these little dogs can do. I hope to hear from some other breeders as this subject post rolls on. Thanks again for all the comments!

Woodie Kitchen
Elizabeth City, NC

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

That is a good looking dog Bunnyhuntah!! Very nice. Would love to see him show gtoomed and moving.
Well done!
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

bunnyhuntah

Post by bunnyhuntah »

Thank you very much he is a joy to have around. the reason i cant get him to measure in for trials is because of his stance which is almost impossible to break. he just naturally stands straight legged, chest out, and head up. lol

John Lear

Post by John Lear »

Man the way you describe your male I am drooling. I wish he was down here closer to Ky. I am always looking to bring in big hounds with show breeding into my hounds but with kids at home and one on the way shipping is no option. I bred to Woodpont Chaplain who is out of Charger's sister Woodpont Charmer and a New City bred hound. John New and Tim Hackworth have been friends and done more show and field crosses than anyone that know personally. My female's name is King's Way cora and is fastly becoming the best complete hound in the field, kennel, and conformation that I have ever owned in 25 years. I highly recommend Tim and his Woodpont bloodlines, he is as knowledgable and friendly as anyone in this sport. The best thing is he will tell you the truth and guide you away from things you do not need to do or buy and he is not in this for money or fame just to improve and enjoy his hound. Keep looking and good luck. John

score em

Post by score em »

John we are in KY quite often if you would like to breed to him we can make some arangments

dave