Controlling fleas on pups and nursing dam

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dale L.

Controlling fleas on pups and nursing dam

Post by Dale L. »

I have a litter of pups that is 3 days old. I have noticed a couple of fleas on the pups. Not many but I don't want it to become a problem. Is there anything I can use on the mother and the pups at this age?

Beagled1

Re: Controlling fleas on pups and nursing dam

Post by Beagled1 »

The last thing I'd ever do would be to use any type of spot on chemical flea product to a dam & her pups. Those chemicals will get into her pores, bloodstream, and will be toxic to the pups. I'm pretty sure there is a warning on the label against using on preggo or nursing bitches ...

A better alternative might be to give the pups Brewers Yeast w/ Garlic or something somewhat stronger called Bug Off Garlic. You can get the Brewer's Yeast @ any pet store, the other product is made by Springtime, Inc http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/148/2 It's heavier on the garlic so if there is already an existing infection, while it's not as cheap as the Brewer's Yeast, it might be the better bet.

Good luck w/ the pups :D