Musladin-Leuke DNA Testing

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Beagled1

Musladin-Leuke DNA Testing

Post by Beagled1 »

Has anyone here done the MLS DNA test UC Davis is now offering? I know one of my boys is out of a bloodline that produces it so finally got around to contacting them a few days ago, haven't heard back yet. I'm getting antsy, lol, wondering if I have the correct link?

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/MLS.php

On that note, anybody get their results back if they've sent it out? How long did it take? Also heard through the grapevine the results can be submitted to OFA for certification??? Any truth to that?

buckridge

Re: Musladin-Leuke DNA Testing

Post by buckridge »

Yes, just sent some test strips into them today.... you might want to call them if you do not hear back from them... they will mail out the test strips to you, it will cost you $50.00 for each dog tested.

Jim
Jim Bucksot
Buckridge Kennel
Greenwood In.

Moore Beagles

Post by Moore Beagles »

Last edited by Moore Beagles on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll keep My GOD, MY Freedom, My Guns, and My Money! You can keep the "CHANGE".

The Rich and Poor have a common bond, The LORD is the maker of them all. Proverbs 22:2

Blessed by the Best

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

UPDATE: The dog I had tested turned out to be N/MLS, so he's a carrier of the gene.

Off to go test my other show bred hounds, so glad there is a test for this! The DNA screening is reasonably priced & invaluable.

tiffinis

Post by tiffinis »

I knew nothing about this. So like the sponge I am, I start doing research and reading everything I can. I found it interesting that one kennel had 2 of these puppies listed on their website for "special homes", and at the same time had 6 more litters being announced. I personally would be taking a serious look at all the dogs in my kennel and having them tested before I bred anymore if I already had 2. The numbers being researched at this point seems relatively small, but I am sure a lot of them are probably never reported. Just wondering if anybody here has seen one of these pups. Do they continue to live semi normal lives?
Patch Addict

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

tiffinis wrote:I knew nothing about this. So like the sponge I am, I start doing research and reading everything I can. I found it interesting that one kennel had 2 of these puppies listed on their website for "special homes", and at the same time had 6 more litters being announced. I personally would be taking a serious look at all the dogs in my kennel and having them tested before I bred anymore if I already had 2. The numbers being researched at this point seems relatively small, but I am sure a lot of them are probably never reported. Just wondering if anybody here has seen one of these pups. Do they continue to live semi normal lives?

Tiffinis - I know EXACTLY which kennel website you're referring to, I have a dog from her. Right now I am "on the fence" about her for another reason - not really because of all the litters, I don't hold that against a breeder so long as they are producing well bred examples of the breed. They're just contributing to more well bred Beagles out there, and that's always a good thing. I know one dog she does not own but is out of her kennel being bred to this year is N/N for MLS & was tested by his owner. The dam of my male has been tested & is a carrier. She is one of the bitches being bred this year. As for the others, I don't know if they were tested, but I think she has gotten them screened for MLS.

I had asked this breeder about genetic issues but the MLS was not disclosed to me until after I got him MLS tested and contacted her w/ the results :roll: She seemed very responsible when I purchased the dog & was very thorough in questioning me about my breeding program, who he could be bred to, etc. Was very concerned about where her dog was going. She asked me all the right questions ... All I was told tho, was that she had minor congential problems, not even genetic. I oroginally found out about the MLS in her lines from the advertising of those pups to pet homes on her website. Which is why I had the feeling that my dog might be a carrier, and sure enough ... To be fair though, MLS is not normally a serious issue. It can be in a small percentage of the pups affected, but many pups go on to live a normal life. Or semi normal. It's just that we now have an opportunity to wipe it out - and I would have appreciated if she was upfront about it. Would not have prevented me from buyng the dog, only would have made me think even better of her.

I have never seen MLS pups, but they used to be called "chinese beagles" because their skin is so tight, leathery that their eyes look slanted. They will also usually have a short outer toe and appear as if they are walking on their toes, again b/c the skin is so tight. In some pics of MLS pups it appears that the person holding them is pulling them up when they are standing "flat" on the ground - this is how tight the skin is. Occasionally there will be heart murmurs or orthopedic problems, but this is pretty rare.