My New Project

Beagles in Show. Whether your beagle shows full-time in the ring or part-time at the field trials, this forum can be helpful and informative for those seeking better conformation in their beagles, and presenting them at their best to the judge.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

thornie

My New Project

Post by thornie »

Three year old female that I haven't done much with. She is bred top and bottom Chip Off The Block. I will be hunting her hard to give her the best chance. She has shown me a lot here in the last three days, I've had her out, still needs to hunt a little more but time will tell, this is my goal this year. First time on a bench. What is your opion.

To old to cut the mustard, you can always run beagles

buckridge

Re: My New Project

Post by buckridge »

Being an AKC UBGF Conformation judge... without putting my hands on her... she has a low tail set, poor rear angles, wide in the front....Poor top line... I would give her 70 pts

Just my opion.

Jim
Jim Bucksot
Buckridge Kennel
Greenwood In.

Lance

Post by Lance »

from the pic.....something's definitely wrong with that dogs back legs :shock:
LINCOLN RIDGE BEAGLES...GET DOWN, BELLY CRAWL, ROOT EM' OUT TYPE..
http://www.wix.com/llmccarthy74/lincoln-ridge-beagles1

Van-Mar Beagles

Post by Van-Mar Beagles »

Lance wrote:from the pic.....something's definitely wrong with that dogs back legs :shock:
Not to be the bearer of bad news but... Can I suggest slipped hocks? :(
VAN-MAR BEAGLES

Ch. Just-Wright No Way

Beagled1

Post by Beagled1 »

Could it be the position she's stacked in that's causing the hocks to turn out? It sort of looks like the foot is twisted around, and she's hunching up her back b/c she doesn't want to be stacked. The last pic of her stacked doesn't seem though the rear leg is in the same akward position. From that pic it appears she's just lacking angulation in the rear.

Supposedly, you can tell if your dog has a slipped hock by gently pushing in on the hocks when the dog is in a normal standing position - if you push in and feel resistance, the dog is fine. If you keep pushing in and there is no resistance, it's a slipped hock ...

Honey Pot Hounds

Post by Honey Pot Hounds »

Thornie, please Don't read this if you don't want to hear anything else negative..

I would agree with Chelsea. Slipped Hocks, at the very least. My honest opinion would be to spay her and put her in a pet home if she has a gentle temperament. Sorry. :roll:
Cindy

Join the fight to keep your guns & Beagles
http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home/
Created to fight bad legislation and defend the victims of animal and environmental extremism.
WE NEED YOU!

Margaret Ethridge

Post by Margaret Ethridge »

for those of us ignorant folk could one of you explain what a slipped hock is? Is this hereditary or from an accident? I appreciate all of the positive info.
Thanks,
Margaret

Van-Mar Beagles

Post by Van-Mar Beagles »

Instead of trying to explain it myself, here is an excerpt from Pat Hastings, one of my favorite and very-well known puppy evaluator and author on the matter.

"Slipped hocks, or double jointed hocks, are a fairly common problem that can often be identified when a dog will not hold its rear in the stacked position (the dog will constantly attempt to move a rear foot forward). Basically, weakness in the tissue causes the joint to hyperextend or collapse forward. Most times, if this is seen in a pup, it will continue for the rest of the dog’s life. The problem here is that if one joint is weak, the knee, or next joint up the line, will compensate. If the knee wears out, then the hip is stressed. It is for these reasons that slipped hocks should not be dismissed lightly."
VAN-MAR BEAGLES

Ch. Just-Wright No Way

thornie

Post by thornie »

Thanks for all replies. This was the first time she was ever on the bench. I will be working with her more in the field and on the bench and ground. She has never had anything done with her. Thanks again for all your advice and I'll my vet check the slipped hawks.
To old to cut the mustard, you can always run beagles