Vest's Rebar ( SOLD )

List Adult and Started Hounds for Sale here.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

drifter22no1

Re: Vest's Rebar

Post by drifter22no1 »

Bobby Vest wrote:I have always tried to tell things like they are or how I see it, so if you have a minute just read what I have to say. This morning I had two guys drive a little over 2 hours to watch both hounds I have for sale run and I could tell from talking to the buyer on the phone that he was serious about buying a dog. I won't mention his name on here because it may embarrass him. I have been listening to dogs run rabbits and watching them ever since I was about 3 years old and I am now 65. I met these guys this morning at the local McDonalds so they could get a bite and a cup of coffee. The man ask me to get the Rebar dog out of the box so he could take a look at him and I opened the door and Rebar wouldn't even come out of the box. This is a hound I have had since he was a baby and he was raised around 5 of my grand kids and I have had the dog all over the country and have had him around hundreds of different people and I have never seen him act like that. I am not going to tell all the details because it would bore you to death. We get to the running spot and turn the dogs loose and they mill around a minute or so and they finally go in a little. When I say a little I mean very little. The one dog opened a couple times and didn't produce and Rebar pretty much stood around and acted like I just gave him a couple shots of morphine. The two dogs in about a 20 minute span opened many times and tried to make a line but I never saw them produce a thing. The point I am trying to make is I feel like a liar. a wanna be thief, whatever you could think of to call somebody that is no good. I have put down many dogs in my life that looked a lot better than my dogs looked this morning and I was asking decent money for them. I don't want to sell a dog, run a dog, play with a dog and I sure don't want to feed a dog. I have shown dogs before that had an off day but I have never seen anything in my life like I saw this morning. I am so sick to my stomach I could throw up. I am going to take a little while and see if I can get over this feeling and if I don't I will never run another dog in my life. I apologize to the man that wasted his time and gas money with all my heart and I hope he can forgive me. He was a gentleman about it and I offered him gas money for his trouble and I offered to buy them a good meal but they kindly refused both and I can understand why. I guess if I had drove that far and saw what we saw I would have wanted to shoot the man showing them instead of shooting the dogs. Again if he reads this I apologoze sincerely and if I can ever do anything to make it up to you I will. Right now I don't feel like showing a dog to anyone and I wouldn't ask anyone to walk around the corner to see these crap eaters. I have lost all the feelings I have ever had for the hounds as of right now. I do appreciate all the calls and all the interest. Thanks for reading this Bobby Vest.
Bobby,

I wouldn't let it affect me too bad but I do understand exactly what you feel. I have been hunting over beagles all my life and have been running and raising my own to run for over 25 years. I decided to sell two older running dogs (you can count on one hand how many running dogs I have sold in my life) and had a guy travel nearly 3 hours to look at the two dogs. Both dogs were good rabbit dogs and were by no means culls. I would have felt confident at the time in saying you could take either or both of these dogs anywhere anytime and run a rabbit, either of them could make the adjustments necessary to bring the rabbit to the gun. The guy and his young son came and spent the night with me and we went out that night and ran my young male that ran a rabbit like he was tied to it for over an hour, so his expectations were high the next morning when we took out the older male and female. My uncle that I have hunted and ran dogs with all my life went with us and we took the dogs to a farm that I knew he would get to see alot of rabbit and dog work and to top it off it was the last weekend of hunting season and his young son had never killed a rabbit and I assured him that he would get plenty of chances that day.
Well, we had a hard time getting rabbits up and when the dogs did finally jump one it ran right past our feet and down the edge of a cut corn field for atleast 120 to 150 yards in plain view. Wouldn't you know the dogs did open when they smelled the rabbit at the jump but were never able to get it away from the squat. finally I called the dogs in the direction of the line and those dogs didn't have a clue a rabbit had ever been through there. I walked those dogs down the edge of that cornfield the entire way and then into the thick where the rabbit finally went back in and those dogs never could smell that rabbit at all!!
We went on to the back of the property and those dogs popped and barked all over that property without ever producing a rabbit the entire time!! I was shocked, I just couldn't believe it. After changing spots later in the day they did finally get after a rabbit thay could run and the boy did get a shot or two at a rabbit.

This taught me one thing for sure;
As sure as someone comes to look at a dog it will make you a liar everytime. And I will tell you now that I was not selling those dogs at cull prices either, I had them priced at what they were worth and they performed at one tenth the price that day.

Anyway, the guy bought both dogs and I held that money for three weeks before I put it into my checking account. I wanted to make sure he was satisfied with the dogs abilities which is something I have never done, when I sell a dog I don't give trials out of my place and I don't buy them back, period. If and when I sell one it is worth every penny of what I ask for it and you can run with, hunt over , and look at it as much as you want and as long as you want with any dog you choose to bring to run with it, but once it leaves me it is your dog. In this case though I just couldn't adhere to that rule, had the roles been reversed I would never have left with either of those dogs after their performance that day. Needless to say the guy called me after about three weeks and said he owned the best two dogs he has ever owned in his life and the dogs were better than I had described to him, so he was content.

I know exactly how you feel, just gotta remember their just dogs and prone to stupidity just like we are.

Good luck and hope everything smooths out for you in the future.
Jonah Staten
"Walkem when you have to and Catchem when you can"

WVBrushBuster

Post by WVBrushBuster »

Never met Mr Vest, but thru pm's, and consider him a very honest man. I applaud your honesty!!!!! Wished everyone I ever spoke with concerning a dog could be as honest!
Josh Preece
West Virginia

Mapel Valley Kennels LLC.

Post by Mapel Valley Kennels LLC. »

Bobby remember what i told you last night? I never seen this till now , i think Rebar is mad at you selling him and wants you too fill bad about it at all cost. Freaking hounds love to make us look a fool , personally i was surprised to see ya sell him anyhow.
When the moment of truth arrives, the point of preparation has passed.
Old School, Full Throttle ,No Bottle.

scottlefevers

Post by scottlefevers »

[quote="drifter22no1"]This taught me one thing for sure;
As sure as someone comes to look at a dog it will make you a liar everytime[/quote
Had the same exact thing happen to me once :shock:

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Well after that story, I will give $200 for the pair and take a chance!

If Bobby is like me, they will never be this low a price again. Especially after you take them out next time and they outdo everything.

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

I can't believe Bobby was gonna sell him either maybe Jimmie is right he might not want to be sold lol.
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

Ky. Hunter

Post by Ky. Hunter »

Well I know Bobby is honest and if I had the money to spare I would be at his house tomorrow morning after Rebar.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Dogs R dogs and when U least expect it.......expect it! I do understand the feeling though when a man truely believes that his word is his bond. I don't know Mr. Vest but it appears that he is cut from that ole mold! I've one more word, RESPECT. :approve:

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Truthful man right here!! Keepin it real Mr. Vest. I respect a man like you!

havenskennels

Post by havenskennels »

Bobby is an outstanding houndsman and person. If bobby tells you about a dog its the truth, and nothing more...good or bad!!! I as well would be at Bobbys house to buy Rebar tom. if I had the extra cash.... I have heard bobby speak so highly of that dog even when he was not for sale. Good luck Bobby and you should never feel bad about any hound you own... With that being said CONGRADULATIONS on the induction to the Hall Of Fame with Chester at this years world hunt. Wish I could be there ol buddy... :dance:
Home of.
LPRCH Double A Road (RAGE)
Tucker's Oreo (Cookie)
Havens' got (Goose) bumps
Havens' (NITRO)

Jim Stinnett

Post by Jim Stinnett »

Take's a man to write that on this web page!

Bobby Vest your a good one!

One of a kind!
BRIAR BUSTEN BEAGLES
jstinnett@upgen.us
AKC & NKC REGISTERED BEAGLES
LAKE VILLAGE, IN
HOME OF: BRIAR BUSTEN SKEETER
PCH CHAMPION / GRAND SHOW CHAMPION

cjones

Post by cjones »

Bought a couple from Bobby over the years and consider him a friend.. I have went and ran with him and not seen what I hoped for and bought the dog anyway.. never once have I been disappointed ... every dog has been exactly what he said.. good houndsman and a great guy.. I would be willing to buy a dog on his word anytime!
LPGRCH GBCH Saten's Big Time Bodie
LPGRCH GBCH Staten's Blue Honey
LPRCH Windy Ridge Boy Named Sue
LPRCH BCH BLK'S Little Girl
Staten's Up Front Ami

Bobby Vest

Post by Bobby Vest »

Thanks a lot guys you just don't know how much I appreciate the support. I still have a terrible feeling about this but you all have helped a lot. I probably have had more e mail, pm's and calls over this than any thing I have ever posted. I sent Rebar off to a friends place today to let him run him away from me and just see how the dog does. I hope fpr the dogs sake he does godd but we'll just have to see. I ran the Northway male I had on here yesterday and he did just fine. I guess it just goes to show you learn something every day that you fool with dogs. Thanks again for the support I really appreciated it.

Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

I have met and run with Mr. Vest.
He is a true hounds man.
And He will tell you like it is.
All our dogs have them days.
Take care ol buddy.
Steve
STEVE SERINI
owlcreek@ymail.com
573-701-4646

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

rhoward

Post by rhoward »

BOBBY:I KNOW THESE GUYS IAM THE ONE THAT TOLD HIM TO CALL YOU WHEN YOU POSTED HIM.I CAN TELL YOU THERES NO HARD FEELINGS HE KNOWS THIS IS PART OF THE GAME.HOW MANY OF US THAT HAVE SHOWED DOGS THAT DID NOT LOOK GOOD. I WOULD SAY REBAR IS STILL A GOOD HOUND.