Let's Unite

espomagazine members: a place to gab and keep in touch until the other site's issues are resolved.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Tally HO

Let's Unite

Post by Tally HO »

We should all be extremely thankful to BEV for what she has done for the HUNTING BEAGLE in such a short time. If everyone had been as supportive of her efforts as they should/could have been. She and the sport would be much better off today.Isn't it time that we put selfishness aside and get behind whatever her endeavors are and make her efforts be SUCCESSFUL !!!! Tally HO

Keystone Kid

Post by Keystone Kid »

Speaking for my self “I think a lot of Bev”, and what she has done for the beagle world. I’m sure most of Beaglers appreciate Bev and her efforts.

Tally HO, be more specific. What do you mean by:

1) We should all be extremely thankful to BEV for what she has done for the HUNTING BEAGLE in such a short time.
2) If everyone had been as supportive of her efforts as they should/could have been. She and the sport would be much better off today.
3) Isn't it time that we put selfishness aside and get behind whatever her endeavors are and make her efforts be SUCCESSFUL
* I enjoy meeting new Beaglers & Squirrel Dog Owners. It's a blessing to find other's with such unique interests.
* I also enjoy helping future hunters.

http://www.heasleyskeystonekennels.com

Tally Ho

Let's Unite

Post by Tally Ho »

1] Bev rescued the Rabbit Hunter Magazine when it was down, then later bought The ESPO Mag. and was a tremendious asset to beagling in helping the ARHA beaglers and SPO beaglers to get to know something about each other which has been instrumental in making the hunting beagle #1.
2]People such as I did not support her efforts by advertising in her mags" nor did everyone subscribe to them.
3]She has provided these forum sites at no cost to the users and what does she get ,disrespect, and a bunch of intolerant people that think they are right and everyone else is dopy.
4] IT IS TIME THAT EVERYONE GREW UP AND ACTED LIKE SENSIBLE ADULTS and when she launches out into a profitmaking edeavour that EVERYONE support her efforts financially!!!! Tally Ho

Keystone Kid

Post by Keystone Kid »

Tally Ho, a lot of that info. I wasn’t aware of. I will do what I can to support Bev & her endeavors.
Last edited by Keystone Kid on Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
* I enjoy meeting new Beaglers & Squirrel Dog Owners. It's a blessing to find other's with such unique interests.
* I also enjoy helping future hunters.

http://www.heasleyskeystonekennels.com

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Tally Ho, thank you so much for the kind words. All I've ever wanted was to participate in this sport, in some way, where people showed tolerance towards each other. We have so much intolerance in our daily lives - in this WORLD, that our recreation shouldn't have to be that way. It's not fair to us, it's not fair to the dogs. One can look 360 degrees and find grief. This should be our refuge from all that. Beagling should be our safe harbor - whether or not you show up to hunt with your dogs in a $45,000 GMC truck or the back seat of a 1994 Cavalier - whether you traveled from Alabama to get there or Ottowa, Canada.

That being said, I'm only human, I get aggravated and fed up, too, and sometimes I don't hold my tongue like I should. I apologize for those times when I forget myself. If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd give all the beaglers such things within my little scope of whatever talent I might have, they'd think they had died and gone to beagle heaven.

I know I've disappointed you all at times, and I feel like sometimes that over the last 7 years I've been held to a totally different set of standards and rules than everyone else. I' not allowed to object...I'm not allowed to cry foul...I'm not allowed to say the word "ass" without taking flack (lol). Sometimes I break those rules and when I do, I hear about it, lol. It comes with the territory, I know that. I ask for everyone's forgiveness when I break. I've paid dearly - in ways most of you will never know, but I don't regret one minute of my involvement in this sport. I'd do it again, if I knew that even one person's life was truly enriched by it, or that somehow it bettered the sport for someone else.

What I said in my last editorial of The American Beagler still holds true. I said that in my lowest of times, the good letters, the letters of thanks and appreciation that came in made me able to keep my "chin to the wind" as a very dear friend has always coached me to do. Your kind words here are exactly what I was talking about. Words can't express how thankful I am to hear them.

For those of you who don't or didn't take The American Beagler, I'd like to share my last editorial, published January 2007, after having sweated out every issue since Sept. 2001 - it was a labor of love:

Dearest Readers,

This will be my last letter to you as Editor of The American Beagler. It’s hard for me to believe it; I’ve spoken with you every month for over five years. The many letters I’ve received from you since the beginning of the magazine have been one of the richest blessings a person could have. I’m honored that I had the opportunity to bring you news and reading material that entertained, educated, and kept you informed about this great sport of Beagling. You have your fellow Beaglers to thank for it – they took pen to paper, submitted their stories and shared their experiences with us all. The clubs submitted their trial ads and results, the advertisers did their part, I merely threw it all together in one place, called it a magazine, and you subscribed. To let you know how big YOU made this magazine, it was being read in 46 of the 50 States, 8 of the 10 Canadian provinces, El Salvador, Puerto Rico, and to the troops in Iraq. You made this magazine big enough for the likes of Warner Bros. to sit up and take notice, and want to share a cross-promotion. Through it all, your kind words of encouragement, and positive comments about those issues and articles you enjoyed in particular, made what was a very difficult job at times into a very rewarding one. I give you my heartfelt thanks because many times those kind letters were the only things that kept me going during the discouraging times. It made all the difference in the world to this editor.

Since the sale of the magazine last March, I’ve been able to get out from behind the computer, attend many of the events myself (even the far away ones), and meet many of the Beaglers whose successes I’d only witnessed in photos - photos that would arrive to me in big manila envelopes over the years. For 12 to 14 hours per day, 6 to 7 days per week, I would scan the photos into my computer, lighten and darken them, crop, resize, and otherwise prepare them for print, caption them with your names and your dogs’ names, and edit the accompanying write-ups and stories. It left me little time for anything else, but eventually I became familiar with your faces, names, dogs – I even knew many of you by your handwriting. I watched you put your derbies in the trials, watched them gain their wins one by one, and eventually finish in their respective formats. I watched your proud faces every step of the way in those photos, and I was proud with you, and for you. I felt as though I knew you all, even though you came to me in the form of photos and lined paper. I often imagined what you would be like in person, and wished I could have been in the field with you, sharing in your successes and happy moments.

I’ve always been about the dogs, for without them we would have nothing to bind us as closely as we are. This last editorial, however, is about the Beaglers, for without you there would have been no magazine. With the help of some dear friends, I’ve spent this last year doing what I was unable to do before – get out and meet as many of you as I could, shake your hands, hug your necks, and add my own applause to the crowd’s as you came up to get your award. I even got to handle a dog or two here and there, and so proud to do that, I was. Imagine if you will, staring at a black and white photo of some old-time Beaglers, and then suddenly those people become alive. That’s what this last year has been like for me, finally being able to get out and meet many of you. It was like all those photos came alive before my very eyes, and it was a marvelous, awesome thing. Often, I would sit quietly in a corner of the different clubhouses and watch you all mingle, laugh, and interact. I tried to burn your images and your voices in my mind; I soaked in all I could because I knew there was a chance I’d never be “here” or see many of you again.

I still remember how nerve-wracked I was trying to put together the first issue of The American Beagler. It was territory into which I’d never ventured, and I didn’t know what kind of reception I would get. I was more of a hunter/fun runner than a trialer, but by doing both, I saw a void of representation of both the hunter and trialer. I also saw a void in the geographical coverage of this great sport. Most of the other magazines were targeted to smaller groups of readers, and I was learning what a big wide world of Beagling it really is. In some small way I hope I have bridged some of the distances, removed some of the borders, and brought us all a little closer as friends by reporting the variety of ways our beagles are enjoyed. If I’ve done any of that, I am happy to have served.

So with that, I say goodbye to my baby, The American Beagler Magazine, and as you would for any child you send out into the world, I wish for it continued growth and prosperity under the watchful care of the Ridenhours. For the Beaglers, I wish for you all the love your hearts and hands can hold. Take care of each other, keep on trucking and trottin’ out those dogs. I have the best of memories, you’ve made my life richer, and for that I am eternally grateful to you all.

Until I see you down the road, God bless, Bev

Thank you, Tally Ho and Jim.

:hug:
Last edited by Bev on Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tally Ho

Let's Unite

Post by Tally Ho »

Keystone, thanks for your interest. Bev needs our support !!! Tally HO

Tally Ho

Let's Unite

Post by Tally Ho »

Bev, you owe no one an apology !!!! Keep us informed on your next profit making endeavor and just perhaps people will understand how important it is to support people like you who are willing to put their untold efforts toward building better beagles as well as a better world !!!! Tally HO

Redbird

Post by Redbird »

Gee Bev,

You sound like "the preacher" who is viewed through a glass house!

Thanks for all that you have done to make beagling better.

Tim

Post by Guest »

Bev---You have been (and I'm sure will continue to be) an asset to gundog beaglers and hunters. I feel that you have given more than you recieved, and for that I thank you ! Also, I'm positive that there are hundreds of SPO beaglers that are thankful that you have provided a forum to us, enabling us to communicate so readily----including this ESPO Temporary Home. Good luck in any of your future endeavors, fred scheetz

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Thank you, Fred and others! It was good to meet you at the Nats last year, Fred.

oakhill

Post by oakhill »

:biggrin: Unite??? I never thought we were separated. lol

All I can say is, that thru the efforts of Bev, I have met so many wonderful folks, learned lots of valuable information, had tons of fun, was given a format where I can chat with people about hounds when the hubby is watching tv, and made one of the best friends I will ever have in this life.

Hats off to you, my friend. :dance:
OAK HILL BLUETICK BEAGLES

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Sally, I love you, you know that. Heck, I'd even share a bed with you if you keep ur hands to urself... Image (inside joke folks; we're both straight as pokers, lol.) I don't know what I would have done without you this last couple of years.

Okay, enough about the wonderful, redeeming qualities of "Bev." Fact is, I can make some of the most stupid decisions in the world. I'm 51 years old and still don't even know what I wanna be when I grow up. I spend money on orphaned sparrows, I don't know nuffin' 'bout no machinery, and if I've had enough Jack I will get up and sing in front of 300 people. All I DO know is a quote from one of my all-time favorite movies, Harlem Nights...to quote Della Reese (Vera):

"I'm an old woman, Mister Calhoun...and I can't take all this fightin' and shootin'...and sh** NO MO!"

Let's talk dawgs. :biggrin: