Question for huntin the thick stuff.

espomagazine members: a place to gab and keep in touch until the other site's issues are resolved.

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

denny606

thick cover

Post by denny606 »

Iwas kinda worried that Jude Was calling me old til i saw that 50th rabbit kill .Then I knew He was off the hook and it could't be me.Buddy and I had a couple of hunts together and he finally pulled the trigger on that gun and killed one first shot I heard him take(well hit it, and the dogs caught it in just the kind of place you are talking about,and he made me wade in and fetch his rabbit for him )one of these days I'm going to talk one of my dogs into bringing it to me .On why they don't come out is alot of time the huners fault, by being heard by the rabbit or seen first and they turn back into the cover to avoid you,when your dogs have a rabbit up move as quickly and quitely to the place you think he is headed and keep a keen eye out. watch way ahead of your dogs and don't holler here he comes or you will probably be saying ,i saw him but i don't know where he went and doing no shooting. if you are behind the race let your buddy know which way he was heading ,then hush,because he may back your way shortly,wear hunter orange so you can be seen and not have to tell some one where you are. Have you seen the ears on them rabbits ,if they hear you stomping and hollering back and forth in these roads and paths,they ain't coming out,Why do I think this, watching the more experienced rabbit hunters over the years tell me to gett out there as fast as i could ,now he'll probably cross out there in that road and they(slick Old beaglers) would stand right still and let me bumble my way out to where they sent me and hear the dogs coming at me only to get a few yards from me and turn back the way they came and the same guy who sent me would stand still and kill that rabbit.after all the joking about how come you never see them bunnies it dawned on me that i was the newbie and the extra dog that put meat in their vests and they were having a bigeyed time,when they saw that i had figured out what was going on we all had a laugh and they said wondered when i'd catch on,this is what it is all about ,having fun with our friends and dogs and learning a few things along the way,By the way I'm sorry if i let the cat out of the bag on some of you sly old hunters,but considered youself ratted out :lol: Denny
Denny's House.... Home of HOF Front Porch Champion Fred the Beagle

JUDE

Hey Denny

Post by JUDE »

:lol: Glad you finally woke up Denny . Yep Denny is another excellent rabbit hunter and a natural retriever :lol: . You should have seen his ears after that hunt :lol: Denny you are still a few years from qualifying as old :roll: I guess .I will probably be at Wolfcreek tomorrow .
Be sure to set your clock ahead one hour .

Goodnight ,
Buddy
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

denny606

thick stuff

Post by denny606 »

2 1/2 years from aarp membership and counting, sure hope my ear quits bleeding by then
Denny's House.... Home of HOF Front Porch Champion Fred the Beagle

arkyhunter

Post by arkyhunter »

This may sound crazy, but when you're hunting that thick stuff sometimes it helps to get a little high up, maybe on a deadfall or something, and it gives you a better view. Sometimes this isn't possible, i know, but i have done this myself and seen others do this and sometimes it helps.

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

I have to hunt clearcuts grown up in briars and all kinds of nasty stuff, thats all the habitat we have and hundreds of acres of it with plenty of water thrown in. best way we found to get into the heat of the race is to carry a pair of hand clippers in your vest and as the dogs circle the rabbit or during down time you just clip you some pathes through the under bush and stomp down the rest, it does not take a lot of effort and knowing where the log piles and other places rabbits like to hide helps. hope this idea helps you guys.

coolbrze

Post by coolbrze »

arkyhunter wrote:This may sound crazy, but when you're hunting that thick stuff sometimes it helps to get a little high up, maybe on a deadfall or something, and it gives you a better view. Sometimes this isn't possible, i know, but i have done this myself and seen others do this and sometimes it helps.
Either high up or down low. I'll kneel down quite often to see uner the low branches of red cedars. Was running the dogs last week in an area so thick you couldn't see 10 yds. in front of you. I just laid down on my back and propped up w/ my elbows and could see out to about 40 yds. then. It was nice for a change, I could lay down and relax for close to an hour w/ the dogs bringing the rabbit around time after time :)
Playboy Kennels - Got rabbit? ~ (703) 989-4079 ~ PlayboyKennels@gmail.com

Home of FC OTIS' BIG JOHN

Past home of FC DEATON'S BO & FC DEVIL'S HOLE HONEY BEE

SouthernBluetickBoy

Re: Question for huntin the thick stuff.

Post by SouthernBluetickBoy »

It doesent matter we hunted about 50 acres of nothing but brush and briars the only shooting lanes were horse paths and killed 8 jumped 11 cant be afraid to get in and hunt with the dogs that is the key getting were the dogs are going not were they have been
Runnin Blue Workin True

JUDE

Re: Question for huntin the thick stuff.

Post by JUDE »

This post is over 3 years old :shock: sure brings back memories of good
times though .
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg